Lock it in drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Ok, not to hurt any feelings, but find someone else to listen to because that part of his teaching is poppycock.

When I started to learn about this game I went to people who had pitched for 40 years when I learned that some 30% of the college pitchers are on the disabled list. And if you watch IR pitchers and coaches you will see the hand working like Ueno. They usually call it keep the ball on the outside.. It usually turns about nose level. Have a great day.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
When I started to learn about this game I went to people who had pitched for 40 years when I learned that some 30% of the college pitchers are on the disabled list. And if you watch IR pitchers and coaches you will see the hand working like Ueno. They usually call it keep the ball on the outside.. It usually turns about nose level. Have a great day.
I would say the problem is that many of these pitchers you reference really dont know how they do what they do. The ones that i have found who do know what they do are mostly on this site. With the exception of a few including OutInLeftField and Hal Skinner who didn't know and were a part of this board. I have been reading the info on this sight for the last 6 years, mostly in the pitching section, and 95% of the good info on pitching is found here. Some is getting out and that percentage is falling slowly, but it is mainly due to people using the info they found here. You will see Hal Skinner in the above referenced thread from texasheat.

Edit: i guess more to the point, i think that the baseline move doesn't 'prevent' anything. It may be a better hand position, but just by doing it it won't prevent the lock out.

Jul 14, 2008
I would say the problem is that many of these pitchers you reference really dont know how they do what they do.

Including this dude! He has no clue how his own motion works. DO NOT turn the ball outward with the arm/wrist at any time during the circle. No high level pitcher turns the ball "inside out" on the way up the circle like this. Hell even he doesn't do this on his full motion.

Here he is demonstrating his ridiculous (made up in his head) move.

InsideOut.jpg

These are stills from his ACTUALL full motion without thinking about it at 3:04 of the clip. He DOES NOT use his goofy move, and the ball is even facing MORE FORWARD at the top when he's not thinking about it:

NotInsideOut.jpgInsideOutManAtTheTop.jpg

Here's what's missing in his brain. He is starting in drill position, (I know Bill hates those) . But when you actually start the pitching motion square to the target and begin the upward circle with the ball facing down, or even in, and ultimately ending up with the ball facing forward at the top, AND you end up turning to 45 degrees (+/-) more toward the 3rd baseline with the hips and shoulders, without doing ANYTHING with your arm and hand, the ball MAGICLY ALSO FACES slightly more toward the 3rd base line at the top.

Probably a really nice guy who can throw a softball well using I/R. But has no idea how he does it. And it damn sure isn't by turning the ball outward on the way up the circle. One thing I will tell you, the majority of girls I see who use this more, mainly because of the "wall drill", bend their elbow over the top of their heads putting the ball in a terrible position.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Including this dude! He has no clue how his own motion works. DO NOT turn the ball outward with the arm/wrist at any time during the circle. No high level pitcher turns the ball "inside out" on the way up the circle like this. Hell even he doesn't do this on his full motion.

Here he is demonstrating his ridiculous (made up in his head) move.

View attachment 17112

These are stills from his ACTUALL full motion without thinking about it at 3:04 of the clip. He DOES NOT use his goofy move, and the ball is even facing MORE FORWARD at the top when he's not thinking about it:

View attachment 17114View attachment 17116

Here's what's missing in his brain. He is starting in drill position, (I know Bill hates those) . But when you actually start the pitching motion square to the target and begin the upward circle with the ball facing down, or even in, and ultimately ending up with the ball facing forward at the top, AND you end up turning to 45 degrees (+/-) more toward the 3rd baseline with the hips and shoulders, without doing ANYTHING with your arm and hand, the ball MAGICLY ALSO FACES slightly more toward the 3rd base line at the top.

Probably a really nice guy who can throw a softball well using I/R. But has no idea how he does it. And it damn sure isn't by turning the ball outward on the way up the circle. One thing I will tell you, the majority of girls I see who use this more, mainly because of the "wall drill", bend their elbow over the top of their heads putting the ball in a terrible position.
They all do it in some manner. Even Eddie Feiner in the 50's,60's,70's & 80's

- Yukiko Ueno
- Larry Wendel- Softball Pitching Mechanics

Mar 28, 2014
my friend you’re moving the goalposts now. The point I was making is that “turning the ball towards 3rd” in and of itself is not some magic way to prevent the elbow from locking out like you said it was. The number of players or coaches that do it, the number of pitchers who pitched for 40 years or that are on the disabled list, ETC … I really don’t feel like getting into that right now. Other people in this thread, notably boardmember, have delved into some of that and given you some things to think about. What I do want to make clear to people reading who may not be experienced with teaching youth pitching is that the direction the ball faces at 3 -12 o’clock has no affect on whether your elbow locks out or not, regardless of what the gentleman in the YouTube video says. That’s all.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
If you watch him pitch in the last video, he has the fingers pointing to the 3rd base line when the hand leaves the glove every time. I have listened to your words boardmember about "the majority of girls I see who use this more, mainly because of the "wall drill", bend their elbow over the top of their heads putting the ball in a terrible position. "

Thanks all.

Feb 20, 2012
If you watch him pitch in the last video, he has the fingers pointing to the 3rd base line when the hand leaves the glove every time. I have listened to your words boardmember about "the majority of girls I see who use this more, mainly because of the "wall drill", bend their elbow over the top of their heads putting the ball in a terrible position. "

Thanks all.
The wall drill U say? How is this wall drill done and were does the hand face at top of circle?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00