Is this hitter casting arms?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Is this hitter casting? Why or why not?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6I3EY7urj8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6I3EY7urj8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jan 10, 2010
To me it looks like he is, right before contact he is barring both his arms and then rolls right over each other just after contact.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
This isn't a game swing, so all bets are off.

Look at the sharp right turn the ball takes off the bat and then ask if it stayed fair? Maybe he was warming up however I bet he had a plan for what he was doing or wanted someone else to think he was doing anyway.

Thanks Howard

Oct 12, 2009
Look at the sharp right turn the ball takes off the bat and then ask if it stayed fair? Maybe he was warming up however I bet he had a plan for what he was doing or wanted someone else to think he was doing anyway.

He's also extended and making the Power V at the point of contact, as if he was fooled by the pitch, which is why his wrists roll so early. It may be that he topped the ball due to rolling his wrists (notice how quickly the bat head deflects up), which would explain what you pointed out.

The problem with a lot of this old footage is that they often just went with whatever happened on the swing, regardless of the result or quality of the swing. This is especially true of high-speed footage. They didn't have the time or film for endless takes.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Good observations. It is Ted Williams and in my eye his swing looks quite different than most of the models that we seem to look at at the MLB and High College level. Yet he hit for power and average. Even in the game footage the arms seem more extended than I am used to seeing, hands lower, bat angle less and more of a wrist roll at the end. Trying to figure out if it is a style thing and he gets in the same basic positions we discuss so often or it Ted used a different pattern.

Oct 12, 2009
Good observations. It is Ted Williams and in my eye his swing looks quite different than most of the models that we seem to look at at the MLB and High College level. Yet he hit for power and average. Even in the game footage the arms seem more extended than I am used to seeing, hands lower, bat angle less and more of a wrist roll at the end. Trying to figure out if it is a style thing and he gets in the same basic positions we discuss so often or it Ted used a different pattern.

Good questions, but you're not going to answer them with BP clips.

You need game footage, preferably where you know the context of the swing, to get a good answer.

Jul 28, 2008
He's also extended and making the Power V at the point of contact, as if he was fooled by the pitch, which is why his wrists roll so early. It may be that he topped the ball due to rolling his wrists (notice how quickly the bat head deflects up), which would explain what you pointed out.

Chris don't forget he might have the bat in the top hand palm which will also create wrist roll. This can cut off good extension IMO.

EL

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Depends on what you mean by casting.

Casting as a FLAW is usually premature extension of the arms which gets the arms and bat away fronm the torso and interrupts/degrades loading/stretch and fire of torso.

He does not do this.

What universally happens in the MLB pattern (ENPF too) swing with good early batspeed and late adjustability and efficient summation/addition is that the batHEAD gets a running start (cast bathead) without casting arms). This action is powerd by upper body motions that RESIST turning open with the hips and therefore optimize/prolong torso loading and make the swing adjustable late.

casting bathead, good.

casting arms, bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad