Does her wrist break?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2011
I can't see the video, darn firewall at work, lol

You got enough information about swinging the bat, so I won't go there, but I don't understand this comment you made earlier.

Its better than walking

You said she has great vision, why would you even want her to swing at pitches not in the strike zone. That could be a bad habit to break later on. Take the walk and get the runner on board. Unless I'm missing something here, you take the walk.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I can't see the video, darn firewall at work, lol

You got enough information about swinging the bat, so I won't go there, but I don't understand this comment you made earlier.
You said she has great vision, why would you even want her to swing at pitches not in the strike zone. That could be a bad habit to break later on. Take the walk and get the runner on board. Unless I'm missing something here, you take the walk.

I don't think it was your firewall... think it was on my end... I reloaded the 2 videos. Check the swing and bunt. Very few come in the zone, she is going after them, trying to win the game. I figure if she just chops at them, then she can foul the close ones, until she gets one or walks... gotta stretch the zone some.

Nov 6, 2011
Am I still confused?... You're trying to have your daughter do a check swing that could possible make contact, but if she misses the ball it will not be called a strike??? If this is the case I think the umpire will see the intent and call a strike.

Jan 18, 2011
Finally saw the videos. It was the firewall at work.

The first video doesn't matter if she breaks wrists or not she is offering at the ball and any ump I know will call that a strike, if not hit.

The second video, slap type hitting. I didn't notice any offering until she laid down the bunt. No strikes would be called on the pull backs unless in the strike zone.

With that said, I've never practiced trying to foul off any type of pitch. I do try to get them to "go" with the pitch. This is normally 14u in my area. I understand if you get behind in the count and you have to widen or what is called "protect the plate" with your swing but I still try to get that ball into play. A shot to opposite side or down the line usually means extra bases.

With all the hard work you put into to try and perfect a great swing, why would you want to defer from that swing? I do understand checking the swing at bad pitches but not fouling off. This is especially true if you have your DD thinking swing or strike every pitch and stop when not. There is a video of Sue Enguest (sp?) on the mental part of the swing, here on this site. I feel trying to foul off may hinder that thought process. Your adding another thought to it now. So instead of thinking . . .yes . . yes . .yes . . NO. (check swing). The thought process now will go . . . yes . . . yes . . . yes . . . uh . foul or uh . no.

It is said that hitting a round ball with a round bat is hard enough, why complicate it even more?

These are my thoughts anyway. Hope it helps.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
OMG. PC, I think it's time to develop another plan!
11gd.jpg
10dh.jpg
09ht.jpg
09ax.jpg

Well the bunt is working great, as promised to HC.... the reason she is on his team...Big game this weekend, she moved the runner, as needed...against a real deal pitcher & huge pressure. I still believe it should be the start, for her & every one. And the start of her coaching career lol... I seen 2 others on our team with nice bunts layed down at our game this weekend too!!!First time, since we got our first team loss by 2 nice bunts!!! I was given very solid advice, on the best speed and agility coach in our area. She is pretty close to running them out...I'm guessing $1000.00 and she would be even closer, then they would wand her to bunt lefty.... she is going to pass... as she does do a couple other things for the team as well, and as promised. Some will really be surprised this summer. Even though I never asked for a commitment from HC, I gave a few...she is right on track...HC is very happy with "the Kid" She is blessed!

Still wanting her to slow the game down, and get more time in the box, and see more pitches....you only get to see great pitching at the big games...whats the hurry...I see lotz of college players taking the pitcher to 12 pitches... My boy always could, until he got synced with pitcher.

This plan, has worked before... it moves me into the next phase...getting ready for the big league swing for 2014! Maybe you can share your plan... :{)) When I get it right, I'll be able to share it ! My videoing is getting better...what do you think? I'm learning the new hosting service... little more to it than You-Tube, but renders alot clearer....+ I like have options on customizing my own player, and the analytic's are much more concise. Hoping it is just as stable....I see you are new...Welcome! You do 10u 2?

Last edited:

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I just like the kids all trying to constantly knock the mud off of their shoes in that video. That is one WET infield.

My 10 YO DD hates to strike out. Hates it more than anything. She has a good swing when she goes all out but is so worried about putting the bat on the ball that that's what happens. She puts it in play for an easy out. I've been emphasizing to her to be more aggressive early on in the count, you can't get hard hits if you don't swing the bat hard.

My point? You can't get too worked up about strike outs. They happen and they happen to good hitters. Worrying about them leads to a vicious cycle of bad swing mechanics.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Kind of like how you (or me ) can split the fairway for 7 holes straight, then they put a water hazzard on the right of #8 and the ball is hit right into it.

PC you might be over thinking things just a little. Why foul off 12 pitches, if its a ball there is no need to swing, if its a strike right down the middle on the second pitch in the count...just crush it. Those pitcher/batter duels will happen naturally there is no need to try and manufacture them.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC you might be over thinking things just a little. Why foul off 12 pitches, if its a ball there is no need to swing, if its a strike right down the middle on the second pitch in the count...just crush it. Those pitcher/batter duels will happen naturally there is no need to try and manufacture them.

I'm with you... I guess I just want to keep the bat moving... and worst case, going down swinging. K's happen, its the getting caught looking that fires up the pitcher, and only flaming the fire for the next victim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00