Is this arm movement legal ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
VESPONE....
are you asking advise for a male or female?
because rules wise, its apples and oranges here. Men are allowed to leap while women must maintain pivot foot contact with the ground.
The first girl you posted is a mechanical mess! and yes she's illegal (for several things)

The poster is from France so I am assuming they use International rules which would allow for the leap. Questions about the arm where "continuously forward" versus just "forward" and how the arm pausing might not be legal.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She is illegal everywhere on the planet. A step back, then a gym step, a leap, and finally a replant. She has it all. Illegal motion aside she is a mechanical mess.

I get focused on 1 thing, in this case replant.

It is like the plate is an annoyance to her, she has 1 foot on it and ignores it.

Is the front foot leaving the plate before pitch a "gym step"? Not filimilar with term.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2015
If you can explain to me mechanically exactly how you land with the whole weight of your body on the ball of your foot and then how the only thing that takes the weight off that front foot is your momentum and that movement from the ball of your foot to your toe is simply incidental and you did not actually flex/push with your ankle/foot I am all ears. Go out and try doing that without pushing off your landing foot and let me know exactly how it turns out.

I don't love it, but that's the rationale behind one being legal and the other not. That being said, I do see a clear difference between the degree of second push between Folkhard and someone like the original video or Barnhill. Seems like Pandora's box though; when you allow leaping replant is right behind.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I disagree, the two have nothing to do with each other.

Pitchers can replant just fine not leaping. Leaping does not encourage replanting.

Jul 22, 2015
I disagree, the two have nothing to do with each other.

Pitchers can replant just fine not leaping. Leaping does not encourage replanting.

I'm saying essentially what djcarter1966 said. If you have a high/long leap you almost have to replant to some degree. But you're right, you can replant like Barnhill does without really leaping.

Sep 29, 2015
If you can explain to me mechanically exactly how you land with the whole weight of your body on the ball of your foot and then how the only thing that takes the weight off that front foot is your momentum and that movement from the ball of your foot to your toe is simply incidental and you did not actually flex/push with your ankle/foot I am all ears. Go out and try doing that without pushing off your landing foot and let me know exactly how it turns out.

Hello guys ! TX to everybody for the contribution.
Sorry for the late post due to the Time Lag ! I was sleeping :) !
As DJCARTER wrote I'm in Fance and play Under International Rules ! So leaping is ok for females here ! My concern and question was at first :
Arm Movement (and the pb of the stop in it) ! I did see the others issue in her motion (feet)BUT my concern was in arm stop since Umpires here didn't want to point it as illegal and the rule says "arm motion must be continous - Umpiting is TERRIBLE here.
It's important to me (more than feet pb) since it really disrupt timing for the Batter AND for the Runners.

Then since most of your responses said "Replant" which I didn't see, we slept on discussing this.
And that's why I posted the guy (which is me :cool:) and then Folkard !
This replant thing seems very touchy to me (I watched Barnhill too).
As quoted here (tx DJ) I think that when you leap YOU HAVE to push to a certain degree (even if ever so slightly) in order to react to the force the ground is giving back (sorry for my English that might sound Strange). Otherwise we would simply collapse and not be able to throw a thing.
IMO to call a replant the push must be a conscious effort by the pitcher and not the result of momentum and ground forces. So, but I must be wrong, I would say that Barnhill is not replanting neither.
Here is another vid of me from another angle :
What about ? Replant or not ? It is the same motion than the previous vid. I mean it was shot before we discuss all this.

<iframe width="480" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ac2BByDVDTM" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sep 29, 2015
If you have rules handy, is back foot allowed off plate like school ball in the states?

Back foot off plate will be allowed for females from January 1st 2018 :) but stll it won't be allowed to go backwards once the pitcher pauses or the pitch has started.

Apr 12, 2015
Personally, I would call it a replant.

So, but I must be wrong, I would say that Barnhill is not replanting neither.

Not necessarily. There is large debate about what Barnhill does (which is pretty much identical to your motion) being a replant or not. There are plenty of who say she crow hops, is skippy, etc, but NEVER replants.

While I said above I would personally call it a replant, I think many look for a obvious leap or drive, landing, re-gather, and second drive before they will call it a replant.

Sep 29, 2015
While I said above I would personally call it a replant, I think many look for a obvious leap or drive, landing, re-gather, and second drive before they will call it a replant.

Yes that's how I see it also !
I can't figure out how I could push less than I do (I just resist to the forces) and I can't really see differences beetwin Folkard and what I do.
But here I can :

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cRvTFEOwZC0?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

This one is very interesting on that matter too :

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9nkibil0fCs?ecver=2" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619