is this a bad infield fly call by blue?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

I agree that the call was not inconsistent with the rule book, however I do not think not calling an IFF in that siutation similarly would not have been inconsistent with the rulebook. IMO, the best call would've been no IFF, as the intent of the rule is to prevent the defense from intentionally letting the ball drop to get an easy double play and that certainly wasn't the case in this situation.

Jul 3, 2013
I agree that the call was not inconsistent with the rule book, however I do not think not calling an IFF in that siutation similarly would not have been inconsistent with the rulebook. IMO, the best call would've been no IFF, as the intent of the rule is to prevent the defense from intentionally letting the ball drop to get an easy double play and that certainly wasn't the case in this situation.

I would say it's a proper call as it fits all of the criteria of an IFF, However, if it had not been called, I don't believe anyone would have argued that it should have been.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I would say it's a proper call as it fits all of the criteria of an IFF, However, if it had not been called, I don't believe anyone would have argued that it should have been.

The only reason it was called was because of the additional umpires on the lines in the outfield. His view was completely different than what is normally available during most games. It would not have been called in a normal game, but this guy saw a professional baseball player drift back, never turning his back to the IF and stopped and called for the ball.

Had the ball been caught, nothing every would have come of it. The talking heads were wrong, Kosmos didn't lose it, he heard something, dont know whether it was footsteps or something that sounded like another fielder calling the play (I have little doubt quite a few fans may have been screaming "I've got it" or "mine" or something similar).

At that level, it is not inconceivable that the two runners could have been doubled off at this level of ball. Runners had already started returning to their respective base. What amazes me is that they acted like something earned was taken away from them. Hell, it was a pop-up that was nothing more than what should have been a routine out. If you are leaning on things like that to win a game, you don't deserve to win it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii