DD getting ready for the new year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Sounds like he is a tilt and turn guy.....clamp everything down and turn like a mutha....

Sounds like you are recommending clamp down and turn really hard. Like a system I am not fond of.

Are you saying you can't throw the barrel with the scap being pinched? The scap must be pinched to throw the barrel with force. Once the barrel is thrown who cares? It is gone.

It is the only way for the hands to leverage the body. If it is not tight up the backside you will have slack, no leverage. The back side needs to be firm and that firmness is a coiled rear hip along with a pinched scap. Now your hands have leverage to work. Now the barrel can be thrown with force.

Oct 25, 2009
PujolsStretch.gif

I see a coiled rear hip and an opening pelvis. Do you see an uncoiling rear hip and opening pelvis?

I see the rear hip coming from the inside. Uncoiling the rear hip would send it back on the path it came from and would lose the tightness that the coil created. I do not see that in this swing.

IMO, the coiling and coiling some more rear hip helps with pinching the scap. IMO, if you were to uncoil the rear hip. You would lose the connection and then fight to get it back but by then you are beat.

I see the upper half/hands staying back while the hip starts the lead. He's already coiled as much as he's going to coil. He'll try to hold that coil until launch. What purpose would trying to further coil have? It's not needed. In fact, if he tried to coil even more at this point in the swing he would be an obstacle to himself.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
What happened to Raphael? I wanted to hear what he had to say. Did things get out of control? I wanted to hear his info.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
I see the upper half/hands staying back while the hip starts the lead. He's already coiled as much as he's going to coil. He'll try to hold that coil until launch. What purpose would trying to further coil have? It's not needed. In fact, if he tried to coil even more at this point in the swing he would be an obstacle to himself.

What happens at launch? If he is holding the coil until launch? What happens at launch? Do you see uncoil in this clip of Pujols at all? Further coil does exactly what you see. It keeps the rear hip coming from the inside. It gives him a rock solid platform for his hands to leverage and work.

Oct 25, 2009
What happens at launch? If he is holding the coil until launch? What happens at launch? Do you see uncoil in this clip of Pujols at all? Further coil does exactly what you see. It keeps the rear hip coming from the inside. It gives him a rock solid platform for his hands to leverage and work.

I do see the uncoil starting. That's the purpose of the coil. You might even think in terms of the lower half coil and the upper half coil. The lower half starts to power move (uncoil) while the upper tries to maintain its coil until the point when the upper half unloads.

You can say the hips aren't rotating but you can see they are. The back hip does not move independently of the front hip. They have to rotate, they can't continue linearly or the batter would be over his front foot.

Pujols is doing what some call "wringing the rag."

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Hyp, maybe its terminology.
To me to coil, would be to turn the front rear pocket toward the pitcher. Uncoil would be, turn it back where it started from, and further, sometimes to catcher, less so on out side pitches.

The back hip moves foward, in a lineal direction, the whole coil uncoil time.
The back hip becomes visible from the front view, because of uncoil.
Again you can hold the coil, in the back leg, as in Tension, something that is not seen, running to first base if you want, but it will not help after a certain point in the swing. the first base thing was just a extreme point
Iso baseball was the video i was thinking of, just kind of a front side press, NO ROTATION

so again visually, the hips coil then uncoil.

R

RayR

I think what Hyp is trying to say and is either purposely making you work for it or just cannot get his pov into words that make sense to you is this:

The rear leg and rear hip are the coil.....this never uncoils.....as the rear upper leg internally rotates the hips will also rotate, but if done correctly the coil (as mentioned above) coils more....

If the rear upper leg turns before the hips turn - you are coiling some more.....

Try it....try a baseball windup, try a swing.....

Raphael knows....

I do see the uncoil starting. That's the purpose of the coil. You might even think in terms of the lower half coil and the upper half coil. The lower half starts to power move (uncoil) while the upper tries to maintain its coil until the point when the upper half unloads.

You can say the hips aren't rotating but you can see they are. The back hip does not move independently of the front hip. They have to rotate, they can't continue linearly or the batter would be over his front foot.

Pujols is doing what some call "wringing the rag."

R

RayR

Raffy, doesn't like the throwing analogy.....he likes whip better....thinks throwing the barrel releases the scap too early and leads to a push....

What happened to Raphael? I wanted to hear what he had to say. Did things get out of control? I wanted to hear his info.

Dec 19, 2012

I was wondering the same thing. It's a shame. Raphael had some good things to say pertaining to the swing IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00