Internal Rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2014
Take there advice and post her videos. They recently critiqued my DD. I now have a better understanding of what we need to work on.

Feb 7, 2013
Confused. Does internal rotation always result in palm down? Video of Scarborough almost looks like she finishes palm in with a short follow through. Do we need the arm to be a longer lever and finish long. ie "the princess extending her hand to be kissed."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good advice you have received so far. One thing to keep in mind is that getting internal rotation is not an all or none proposition. For example, most pitchers will not get a true "palm to the sky" at 9:00 like Yukiko Ueno or Amanda Scarborough; but will more likely get ball to 3rd base (as instructed by Hillhouse) but can still get good internal rotation and spin on the ball. The follow though also varies by pitcher, some finish with the hand looking like a butterfly flopping all around, others might have a more forced finish to palm down or to the opposite side. Your DD needs to experiment with having her hand in different positions from 9:00 into and through release to see which techniques yield her the most spin and velocity for each pitch.

I like to think of arm whip mechanics as a continuum with Hello Elbow mechancis (i.e. pushing the ball down the circle and pulling up on the finish) at one end of the spectrum and I/R mechanics (pulling the ball down the circle and internally rotating the arm, wrist and hand into and through release on the other end. The goal is to try to use optimal arm whip mechanics that get you as close as possible top to pure I/R mechanics.

HE<.....................................>I/R

Feb 10, 2017
Ok then we are on the right track. Lucky enough to find this forum. We have been using Board Members drills snapping into glove. Godsend. First pc was all HE put duct tape on her shoulder and told her to be palm up and touch the tape. Found this forum and switched coach. 2 years wasted. Like new coach, but feel he is off base advocating use of xcelerator as a shoulder conditioning tool. Looks like my DD is locking out her arm as a result. Bad muscle memory?

Feb 7, 2013
Like new coach, but feel he is off base advocating use of xcelerator as a shoulder conditioning tool. Looks like my DD is locking out her arm as a result. Bad muscle memory?

Don't use this device unless you want to promote Hello Elbow mechanics! You might want to keep looking for a good PC.....

Sep 10, 2013
Ok then we are on the right track. Lucky enough to find this forum. We have been using Board Members drills snapping into glove. Godsend. First pc was all HE put duct tape on her shoulder and told her to be palm up and touch the tape. Found this forum and switched coach. 2 years wasted. Like new coach, but feel he is off base advocating use of xcelerator as a shoulder conditioning tool. Looks like my DD is locking out her arm as a result. Bad muscle memory?

do not waste your time or money on this xcelerator device. DD used something similar (home made) and it was aweful. DD stopped using it really quickly.

Dec 16, 2010
Pauly, javasource and riseball all advocate for glove snaps. I like the feel these create. I'd suggest kids do these whenever an opportunity presents.

Add Boardmember to this list.

Riseball explains why glove snaps are awesome here: https://www.discussfastpitch.com/so...question-im-not-sure-anyone-can-answer-2.html
I have found that most will throw the ball into their glove with excellent mechanics. But as soon as they start doing anything else, especially throwing to someone on a bucket things immediately change.

A pitcher can hone her IR/BI standing in front of a mirror throwing into her own glove--no catcher needed. She can also do a couple of glove throws between pitches to reinforce the feel/technique she will try to achieve on the next pitch. Both javasource/lock-it-in and Balswick video 1 or 3 are great glove throw models.

Note that javasource and Balswick both emphasize correct posture as well as IR/BI.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles