Strength training vs Pitching reps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
If they stream it shows you the time of the stream. Might get you close.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
On the phone they are streaming with right? Yeah I knew that and I usually text the scorer to ask because I ain’t walking in from the OF to look 😂

Apr 27, 2020
Hi all,
First post for me so if this has been a repetitive question, Apologies in advance. My DD just finished her first year of U13 travel ball. First, what a jump from U11 to U13. Wow.

She's always been eager to put in time pitching trying to get better and more accurate. We see a pitching coach here regularly, attend a pitching clinic in the winter time as well as work between the 2 of us a few times a week. She's got a good fastball and worked really hard throughout the year to establish a usable change up which has been effective. Could always be more accurate day to day but that's 11-12 year olds for yah.

My question. What do you consider more important at this age. Pitching reps vs strength training. I only ask as I believe she's at a point where she's getting almost all she can out of her slender frame. She's not short or small by any means but forsure slender. She's eager to gain more speed and more control of her pitches which I believe more strength would be beneficial than pitching reps but I honestly am not sure.

My initial plan is to do mostly band and body weight work 2 to 3 times a week for the next few months to gain strength before starting up with more pitching reps. Focus would be on leg, core and arm strength. With soccer upcoming and the Canadian winters, meaningful mound time is limited.

What would you put more emphasis on between the two topics posted above and why

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
I would consult with her pitching coach especially at 12/13 on what they feel will work best with her progression with them. IMO, you can focus on both. Most pitching coaches generally have the player's on a "light" workout routine with plyo, resistance bands, jump rope, medicine ball and squeeze ball. anyhow. (The jump rope is huge). A lot of coaches have some of these drills in their warmup routine prior to pitching practice as well.
Naturally; with any strength/conditioning plan it should also include a nutrition and hydration plan that matches the workouts to get the most out of them. I would suggest to just don't over do either especially if she is going to be working on soccer as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles