Internal and External Rotation of the legs. Need some help.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
Just my two cents....DON"T watch Cat Osterman for Drive Mechanics. DO watch Amanda Scarborough for drive mechanics.

DO watch Cat for brush and Do watch Amanda although not as good as Cat and Monica but OK.

Why? Cat has the most disguised replant in the game. If you want to replant, that is the way to do it hands down. But not a model as far as DRIVE is concerned. Brush, spin, heck yes!

Also, spend more time on whip and brush and less time on drive. If you don't have the best whip from brush contact you are wasting you time trying to drive better. I have seen many a stepper that can throw tremendous heat, spin, etc.. Drive Mechanics thread is great and Java did a heck of a job but that is not where you will pick up much speed compared to proper brushe assisted whip.

I suppose my concern is that without getting those hips back to 45 her brush and whip won’t have the same result as at 45.
Staying open is not what this thread teaches and what all of the tops Do. You understand?
If (90degess) open there is no contact point. No accelerated whip. Less Consistency and accuracy. Just trying to get her the most efficient pitch possible.
She is 5’5” and 100 lbs. she needs best possible mechanics to throw hard and with spin. 6’0 200 lbs. she could force speed and spin. Not at 100lbs.
I have to be a little more reticular.
@javasource style. Dude is a technical wizard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
I suppose my concern is that without getting those hips back to 45 her brush and whip won’t have the same result as at 45.
Staying open is not what this thread teaches and what all of the tops Do. You understand?
If (90degess) open there is no contact point. No accelerated whip. Less Consistency and accuracy. Just trying to get her the most efficient pitch possible.
She is 5’5” and 100 lbs. she needs best possible mechanics to throw hard and with spin. 6’0 200 lbs. she could force speed and spin. Not at 100lbs.
I have to be a little more reticular.
@javasource style. Dude is a technical wizard.

Sorry, just a bit confused, can you please point out where I stated staying open? I think I am missing something and I can assure you I understand.

Nov 8, 2018
Sorry, just a bit confused, can you please point out where I stated staying open? I think I am missing something and I can assure you I understand.

All I’m saying is her hips are opening to 90 and not closing back to 45 and until that happens brush won’t. So i either stop her from opening as much or have her close more but it can’t stay the way it is. Just looking for some advise on how to get that all to happen. It’s not coming naturally at this point.

Mar 20, 2015
My DDs hips stayed open as you are describing and I agree this is something you want to fix. What worked for her was something I picked up from this site which is the over and under drill/warmup. It is simply playing catch and alternating throwing overhand and then throwing underhand but using more of a slingshot windup where she pulls her arm back to 1200 then throws from there with one step (not a leap). By repeating this and emphasizing keeping the lower body essentially the same for both throws it becomes ingrained. She already had great lower body action and form on her overhand throw so this alternating made an easy transfer of her lower body form over to her underhand throw. She now just does this for every warmup but without the overhand part. They will get so good at it that you have to watch that there is not too much rotation of the hips and they maintain good FSR (approx45) when encountering the force of a full pitch.

Nov 8, 2018
My DDs hips stayed open as you are describing and I agree this is something you want to fix. What worked for her was something I picked up from this site which is the over and under drill/warmup. It is simply playing catch and alternating throwing overhand and then throwing underhand but using more of a slingshot windup where she pulls her arm back to 1200 then throws from there with one step (not a leap). By repeating this and emphasizing keeping the lower body essentially the same for both throws it becomes ingrained. She already had great lower body action and form on her overhand throw so this alternating made an easy transfer of her lower body form over to her underhand throw. She now just does this for every warmup but without the overhand part. They will get so good at it that you have to watch that there is not too much rotation of the hips and they maintain good FSR (approx45) when encountering the force of a full pitch.

Awesome. I’ll give it a go.

Nov 8, 2018

Well after some discussion with dd on our goal today to keep everything straight at the catcher and needing to Make sure we get those hips back to 45 we warmed up and tried your idea. Whatever it was that helped. The drill , the council, the focus , she looked beautiful today. Finish at 45, back foot laces down , stepping g straight, glove hand looked great and she threw with effortless power.
Love it. Now let’s hope the next session start like this one ended. Haha. Thanks for the help.

Aug 1, 2019
All I’m saying is her hips are opening to 90 and not closing back to 45 and until that happens brush won’t. So i either stop her from opening as much or have her close more but it can’t stay the way it is. Just looking for some advise on how to get that all to happen. It’s not coming naturally at this point.

10-4 and understand what you are saying now. Video would be a big help if you could post. Or if you already have, then please let me know where.

Okay, back to the LLWS. We have a good game going on!

Aug 1, 2019
Well after some discussion with dd on our goal today to keep everything straight at the catcher and needing to Make sure we get those hips back to 45 we warmed up and tried your idea. Whatever it was that helped. The drill , the council, the focus , she looked beautiful today. Finish at 45, back foot laces down , stepping g straight, glove hand looked great and she threw with effortless power.
Love it. Now let’s hope the next session start like this one ended. Haha. Thanks for the help.

That is good news. Sometimes different things make things "click". Stick with it and see if it continues to work for sure.

I hesitate bringing this up but I think it is important but my hesitation is throwing you and your DD off. So I truly believe if the above is working then ignore the below or come back to it later.......

Okay, we all know how great BM (boardmember) is and was. His stuff taught us the most many moons ago and still does for the newbies learning to pitch. Truly a wealth of knowledge with all his posts. Falls in the category of Rick IMHO.

Below is his adduction video:

As he states, you want to be a little more that 45. He is truly about 75 when he adducts give or take from the camera angle. If a girl truly adducts at a 45 angle with the hips, the ball will go to the 1st base dug out. It just will.

Can you adduct, brush, etc. at 90. YES you can. Should you stay at 90 versus 45? This is where I believe you have the room to fit what works for the DD so I will call it a "Style".

This is why I believe there are so many different "styles" that are not absolute. IR is absolute, brush is absolute, the rest of it is what works for the girl.

If a DD does IR and BRUSHES, forearm behind hip bone, the rest will work itself out. Hip angle will work itself out as will drive, and everything else.

I hope this helps and of course just my humble opinion but I have seen girls with hips at 45, 90, and everywhere in-between. I have seen girls with the most amazing drive and girls that are unhittable with step mechanics (fewer these days but still a few). They all have one thing in common. They brush, whip, snap with their forearm behind there hip bone. As said many years ago on this site, may have been Ken K, it is like driving a car and slamming on the breaks. Forearm to behind hip bone is like slamming on the breaks and the ball will sail.

Peace my brother and enjoy your weekend! Pulling for the boys from Eastbank in this darn good game.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015

Its a natural closing of the hip in good timing with the brush and IR. If they were drilled to stay open at some stage it just has to be drilled back out of them. Simply throwing underhand at every practice in a relaxed manner like this really helped my DD.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi