Strength training vs Pitching reps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
I’m curious if anyone uses swimming as strength/ fitness add. I was a D1 swimmer and I’m thinking of bringing my 13yo pitcher to the pool and work on her swimming. There’s so much core strength and balance involved in swimming- and it’s very symmetrical- so since her season ended yesterday and it’s hotter than heck - I thought it might be a good way to get some core strength/ balance/ overall strength away from the field.

Oct 4, 2018
*sigh*

The only way to get really good at pitching is to practice, practice, practice.

Your DD has to throw 100,000 pitches to be "good." No amount of strength training, agility training, running, meditation, sport therapy, or magical incantations can take the place of 100,000 pitches. (Read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell.)

So, first things first. What is your plan to get her to 100,000 pitches?

So much this.

Have y'all seen the new feature on GameChanger where you can add your DD's stats from every season into CAREER STATS?

Pretty cool. Since Fall 2020, my DD has thrown 532 innings, 8,217 pitches. So add between innings and between/before games, let's say that gets to 10,000.

She started pitching a few years before, so perhaps 5,000 more game day pitches.

We probably pitch 200 pitches per week over 40 weeks per year outside of games. So that's 8,000 more pitches. Say we've done that for 5 years. So 40,000 more pitches.

My DD is pretty darn good for 14U. And she's probably at 60,000 pitches or so.

It's an interesting exercise. :)

Oct 4, 2018
I would say that both are important. Strength training helps to build muscle and stamina while pitching reps help refine/reinforce mechanics to better spin and locate each type of pitch. Speed will increase over time as they continue to grow. I found that with my daughter, the strength training helped to keep her body connected because the growth spurts would make her uncoordinated until she strengthened her body after stretching. This allows her to get more out of her bullpens and put more effort into her pitches. One more thing to mention is to also make sure to get proper rest to recharge as much as possible.

Both are important. But is one more important than the other? I'd say yes. If you could only choose one to do, you'd obviously do reps. I know some darn fine pitchers who do zero weights.

That said, we do strength training. It's kind of a "fit it in when you can" though, which we know isn't ideal. We focus on core and legs.

And then long toss. We try to do long toss twice per week.

But the biggest thing we've noticed to get her velocity up? Time. Simply the passing of time as she gets older.

Jun 8, 2016
So much this.

Have y'all seen the new feature on GameChanger where you can add your DD's stats from every season into CAREER STATS?
Total pitches thrown might be the only useful thing one can get from that and it’s only useful in the (sometimes) nuanced conversations that take place here..

How about they work on putting a Time of Play clock on the Gamestream..

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
Total pitches thrown might be the only useful thing one can get from that and it’s only useful in the (sometimes) nuanced conversations that take place here..

Time of play clock would be eye opening for many.
Would show the efficiency of some teams exposing the dawdlers....

Jun 18, 2023
I'd love timestamps on the play log, would double as a official start of game and you could estimate play clock stuff from that too.

Oct 4, 2018

The scorer can start a clock within GameChanger. It can count up, or it can count down. Does the clock a GameChange scorer starts not show up to viewers?

I did not know that.

1689964286750.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles