Coach says it is time for a longer bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
Those are cute charts and beautiful bats, but she will hit the ball 20+ feet farther than either bat, using with her existing bat, with simple technique fixes.

I believe for 60ft base paths HB to 2B is 85 ft. You should be aiming for being able to hit the ball into the grass over 2B, which is probably 95-100 feet..
I'm not concerned with the absolute numbers. These were using brand new bats (not broken in) using Lite Flight balls so the absolute numbers don't have any comparison to real life hits. The purpose of the numbers is to compare one bat to another. The average distance numbers on the Zen will be skewed some as she kicked a ball out of the way between swings and it registered it as a 14 mph hit that went 20'. She hit roughly 10 balls on each bat so not a huge sample size to begin with.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
My communication skills are clearly weak. What I am trying to say is that life is more fun without bat drag, than it is with a new bat. It's really fun hitting bombs to the outfield.

Jun 8, 2016
My communication skills are clearly weak. What I am trying to say is that life is more fun without bat drag, than it is with a new bat. It's really fun hitting bombs to the outfield.
You can hit "bombs" to the OF with bat drag..it just won't be against good pitching..what that constitutes for an individual will be different for each kid depending on a number of factors but it will catch up to you at some point.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018
That is why I'm looking at the 30" -12. I was recording bat speed and other data with a Blast Motion. While the max exit velocity was better with the -11, the bat speed was 35.5 mph with her 28", 36.2 with the 30" -11, and 38.5 with the 30" -12. Hand speed with the 28" -11 was 12.3 mph, 11.5 with the 30" -11, and 12.6 with the 30" -12.

I wish we had time to hit 100 balls off each bat over a few days, but I think the data shows the 30" -12 being a good compromise for my DD.

Jun 8, 2016
That is why I'm looking at the 30" -12. I was recording bat speed and other data with a Blast Motion. While the max exit velocity was better with the -11, the bat speed was 35.5 mph with her 28", 36.2 with the 30" -11, and 38.5 with the 30" -12. Hand speed with the 28" -11 was 12.3 mph, 11.5 with the 30" -11, and 12.6 with the 30" -12.

I wish we had time to hit 100 balls off each bat over a few days, but I think the data shows the 30" -12 being a good compromise for my DD.

Also I wasn't saying your kid has bat drag..I was just making a general comment ;)

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think a lot has to do with the loading of the bat. DD had a 33/10 Xeno and a 33/09 LXT. The LXT was balanced and hit way more dingers but felt lighter.

Dec 11, 2010
As you know with the same bat speed, the bat with the bigger mass will result in a higher ball speed if the ball is contacted at the same point. That said some players may not be able to generate the same bat speed with a heavier bat or may not be able to produce a swing which barrels up a ball with a heavier bat, etc. It is definitely something which a player has to work out for themselves.

Pattar, this is a good comment. I’d like to add that even if they can create the same bat speed with the heavier bat they may not be able to get the bat up to the same speed early in the swing with the heavier bat which I really believe is important.

In my opinion, this can be a hard thing to judge without hitting front toss or live pitching with the bat to see how the hitter uses it. With older players the question is if they can hit an outside pitch hard oppo. Younger kids usually don’t have that skill yet but early bat speed is still a consideration.

Jun 8, 2016
Pattar, this is a good comment. I’d like to add that even if they can create the same bat speed with the heavier bat they may not be able to get the bat up to the same speed early in the swing with the heavier bat which I really believe is important.
That was broadly covered in my post under "may not be able to produce a swing which barrels up a ball"... :)

May 12, 2016
Plain and simple, the coaches logic is flawed. He thinks your DD needs a longer bat because she's probably hitting the ball of the end of her bat on outside pitches...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812