Strength training vs Pitching reps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
The training is less than 50% of it, nutrition and rest are just as important and that may be where a lot players mess up (put the phone down and go to bed..)
When dd#2 figured out her nutrition she gained as much muscle percentage in one year as most college athletes gain in four years. It coincided with going to bed at no later than 10/10:30…..

So….. What you are saying above is hugely important.

Here is another little tidbit that seems to affect college freshman softball players “Revenge Sleep Procrastination”

Jun 8, 2016
When dd#2 figured out her nutrition she gained as much muscle percentage in one year as most college athletes gain in four years. It coincided with going to bed at no later than 10/10:30…..

So….. What you are saying above is hugely important.

Here is another little tidbit that seems to affect college freshman softball players “Revenge Sleep Procrastination”

Your body needs to be able repair the damage training induces (along with playing your sport). If your sleep and nutrition are not right you end up digging yourself a hole you cannot get out of (and often the effect is injury..)

Jan 28, 2017
Several years ago there were studies going on with college students and injuries during finals week (stress and lack of sleep). The number of injuries were unbelievably high during finals week compared to a normal week in all sports. Our HS trainer was involved it the study probably 10 years ago.

Feb 15, 2017
All this tall of weight training for 12u players makes me nervous. You've got kids whose bodies are still growing with major growth plates still open. You screw that up for a kid and they may never compete agsin.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’d say at this age if she has really good mechanics have her focus on hitting her spots with her FB and CU. A pitcher who can reliably hit their spots with 2 different pitches will be very good at that age, even if velocity is average for age.

If serious about starting a weight training program it is of utmost importance to find a trainer who has a lot of experience with the growing female body and softball pitching. It has to be individualized as to not cause potential injury. The only thing is personal trainers can get pretty expensive depending on how frequently she goes. My dd and ds go to one together and it’s $1000/mos for 4 sessions/week but it is only them with the trainer which means more reps and workouts tailored specifically to their needs/goals. Each session is an hour. Luckily it’s just for the summer so only about 2 full mos that we will have to shell out cash for. Dd, who plays in college, proclaims that it has been the most intense workouts she’s ever done, but also the most beneficial.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021
My daughter is only 13 but having now pitched 2 years of relatively high level travel ball, it is quite apparent that the adage that, all other things being equal, the stronger athlete is better than the weaker athlete, is true. What strength training you do, and how you mix it in with skills training, is completely dependent on the athlete. If a kid can't do a set of 10 body weight squats with correct form, then asking them to put a barbell on their back or do trap bar deadlifts would not be optimal.

I've started my daughter slow with strength work. We began with strictly body weight stuff and are just now getting into using kettlebells for deadlifts and goblet squats, and the sled. Don't underestimate bodyweight exercises like squats, pushups, lunges and planks, they are very effective. One of the main things I've focused on in putting her workouts together is to get enough volume/intensity in without making her sore, because if she's sore, it affects her play/pitching. Another main focus is to not get hurt and to use the strength training as a way to injury proof, to correct imbalances that thousands of reps of a one-sided movement will produce, and to work on mobility.

If you have the space at home, it's not a bad idea to start accumulating basic garage gym equipment. Over time, you can put together a nice set up that your daughter can use at her convenience.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
*sigh*

The only way to get really good at pitching is to practice, practice, practice.

Your DD has to throw 100,000 pitches to be "good." No amount of strength training, agility training, running, meditation, sport therapy, or magical incantations can take the place of 100,000 pitches. (Read "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell.)

So, first things first. What is your plan to get her to 100,000 pitches?
????

1688748578280.png

Apr 8, 2019
All this tall of weight training for 12u players makes me nervous. You've got kids whose bodies are still growing with major growth plates still open. You screw that up for a kid and they may never compete agsin.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
This has been a persistent myth for at least the last 50 years. It has been debunked time and time again.

Jumping in here very late so pardon me if this is any repeat info. Can strength training help......yes.......but. There is a lot to consider. Before she ever picks up a barbell or any implement, she should have a Physical Assessment. It would be more important to get her body movements sequenced efficiently and that will only happen if the muscles creating the movements are balanced. So a good strength program should target both overactive and underactive muscles. In other words, foam rolling/stretching as well as strengthening.
If you are intending to strengthen her for pitching, be sure to strengthen her like a rotational throwing athlete.....lots of movements that target transverse plane actions.
On the speed/pitching side I would suggest a very similar approach. Get a full pitching assessment by a qualified instructor. The assessment should include data captured by a product like 4D Motion. This will give you a roadmap of what is deficient in her mechanics and where to put your efforts. FYI, we all think we can see what is needed when we look video, but I can assure you that we cannot see the detail needed to dissect movements that are happening at 3,500 degrees per second.
Do these assessments cost a lot......yes, but in the long run they will save you a ton of money not to mention a ton of time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles