Internal and External Rotation of the legs. Need some help.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
I finally got my dd to drive straight off the rubber. Yoo-hoo for her. She is also timed up properly. Everything at the catcher at 3 o’clock. Leg and both arms. All timed up. Yoo-hoo for her again. Here in lies the problem.
I’ve been reading @javasource drive mechanics and got to the part of how the legs/thighs should be internally and externally rotating. It all
Makes sense. I see it in the best in the world. I know what it should look like. But I could use some tips to get dd to do it.
It would seem as if it would be natural once her timing is right at 3. But for my dd nothing seems natural. Lol.
As she passed 3 o’clock she is opening nicely. Foot landing at approx 45 degrees. Arm bent over head showing the ball. Looks great. As she starts down the back of the circle her right leg is externally rotated and is not internally rotating back. Hips are now not closing fully to 45.
Any tips. Any drills. Lock it in, 9 o’clock drills are all stationary and won’t simulate this movement. Any ideas. Modify the drills? Any other ideas. ? Any help would be great. Thanks gang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
Don't overthink it too much.

Step 1: Drive out square.
Step 2: Turn the drive knee and shoelaces toward the catcher as the leg pulls in.

Sounds like you DD has Step 1 down, needs to work on Step 2.

Nov 8, 2018
Don't overthink it too much.

Step 1: Drive out square.
Step 2: Turn the drive knee and shoelaces toward the catcher as the leg pulls in.

Sounds like you DD has Step 1 down, needs to work on Step 2.

Exactly.
I’ll keep it simple. She’s tough to teach. But I’m determined.

Apr 12, 2015
Isolate the motion. Since she is driving straight, remove it from the equation for a bit.

Do some simple, old school K drills. Simple up together, down together with a small step out, emphasize concentration on turning the drive knee and foot, finish with the drive knee slightly in front of the stride knee.

Nov 8, 2018
Isolate the motion. Since she is driving straight, remove it from the equation for a bit.

Do some simple, old school K drills. Simple up together, down together with a small step out, emphasize concentration on turning the drive knee and foot, finish with the drive knee slightly in front of the stride knee.

She has no problem with that. She can do all those drills. It’s now in combination of her driving straight out. Turning at 3.

Nov 18, 2015
As I understand it, if you drive out properly, you should be in a sprinters stance, with your toe roughly pointing towards the catcher, and ending with the drag foot on its toe, laces down.

So I'm a little confused - if we don't want the back foot to rotate sideways, how much rotation are we talking about with the rear leg? My heel dictates where my knee points, and if I should keep the heel mostly pointing up, the actual range of motion would be fairly limited, correct? (15-20 degrees? )

Nov 8, 2018
As I understand it, if you drive out properly, you should be in a sprinters stance, with your toe roughly pointing towards the catcher, and ending with the drag foot on its toe, laces down.

So I'm a little confused - if we don't want the back foot to rotate sideways, how much rotation are we talking about with the rear leg? My heel dictates where my knee points, and if I should keep the heel mostly pointing up, the actual range of motion would be fairly limited, correct? (15-20 degrees? )

Well. Part is right. There is some external rotation of the right leg. Then Internal back to laces down. Java explains it well in drive mechanics. Watch cat osterman
Or Amanda Scarborough. Left leg internal to external. Right leg external to internal. Meaning. The right leg ends up laces down.
But more happens in between.

Apr 12, 2015

You are over thinking it. Look at Monica:

We'll start at frame #4. Here her shoulders and hips are still mostly square to the catcher.

Frame #5 she has almost expended all the energy of her drive. As the energy is depleted, during the time her stride foot is still in the air and her drive leg has finished its work, her body essentially becomes weightless. This causes a NATURAL internal rotation of the stride leg and an external rotation of the drive leg. Again, this is NATURAL and NOT a conscious action.

You can see this really developing in frame #6.

In frame #7, her stide foot is landing. The angle of her foot sets the hip angle. As she drags her drive leg in, pointing the knee and shoe laces toward the catcher, her leg internally rotates toward the catcher.

This is completed in frame #8 and frame #9. Note in these two frames her four points of resistance set the shoulder and hip angles at the correct angle.

Basically everything from frame #3 to frame #8 is natural, no teach action.

If I understand your problem correctly, your DD is having problems achieving the look of frame #8 and frame #9. This is caused by her drive leg becoming an anchor or not being adducted into the body correctly. The answer really is as simple as placing an emphasis on turning the laces to the catcher and driving the drive knee to and slightly in front of the stride knee at finish.

If she can do this in static drills but not in full motion it is because she loses focus on doing so in the full motion, not that there is something within the full motion preventing her from doing it.

Aug 1, 2019
Well. Part is right. There is some external rotation of the right leg. Then Internal back to laces down. Java explains it well in drive mechanics. Watch cat osterman
Or Amanda Scarborough. Left leg internal to external. Right leg external to internal. Meaning. The right leg ends up laces down.

Just my two cents....DON"T watch Cat Osterman for Drive Mechanics. DO watch Amanda Scarborough for drive mechanics.

DO watch Cat for brush and Do watch Amanda although not as good as Cat and Monica but OK.

Why? Cat has the most disguised replant in the game. If you want to replant, that is the way to do it hands down. But not a model as far as DRIVE is concerned. Brush, spin, heck yes!

Also, spend more time on whip and brush and less time on drive. If you don't have the best whip from brush contact you are wasting you time trying to drive better. I have seen many a stepper that can throw tremendous heat, spin, etc.. Drive Mechanics thread is great and Java did a heck of a job but that is not where you will pick up much speed compared to proper brush assisted whip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45