Howard, Where Are You Going To Be Next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2009
Hello Howard, we have been reading your post and you are definitely someone that we would like to meet! Could you please post on this forum your schedule for hitting clinics this year? Are you ever in the southeast? We live in north Mississippi between Memphis,Tn. and Birmingham, Ala. We would travel to Arkansas, Tenn., Ala., etc. if you are going to be anywhere close. We appreciate all of the information that you are posting, and I agree with everything that I have seen you post. I'm just a dad who coaches my daughters travel team every summer, and I'm trying to learn from the best teachers myself. We are still playing at 14u. Thanks in advance. ThundersDad.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
She is working on something in Florida in April and we will be Wexford Penn. this weekend. The end of February we will be in Warren Penn.

I will add if we get something in the South or if Crystl will be there.

Thanks Howard

May 11, 2009
Howard please let me know if you are coming back to the midwest sometime. I hated missing your last trip to MO. I know you would love the cold and snow up herein Iowa. It's great!! OK not really great but it is really cold. Wait that is not helping is it...

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Howard is aware that I have been taking the DD to college camps because of recruiting. I thought this was a good place to post what we are seeing. Many colleges are teaching drills that do more harm than good. So he asked me to look up 2009 stats. Only one of these colleges have worked with Howard . All are Divn 1 schools of the same size. I will not mention names.
School A BA 310 Hr 39
School B BA 287 Hr 16
School C BA 227 Hr 30
So taking the dd to a college hitting camp may not be your best investment. Learn hitting from a good instructor ?

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Howard is aware that I have been taking the DD to college camps because of recruiting. I thought this was a good place to post what we are seeing. Many colleges are teaching drills that do more harm than good. So he asked me to look up 2009 stats. Only one of these colleges have worked with Howard . All are Divn 1 schools of the same size. I will not mention names.
School A BA 310 Hr 39
School B BA 287 Hr 16
School C BA 227 Hr 30
So taking the dd to a college hitting camp may not be your best investment. Learn hitting from a good instructor ?

It is not about working with me...it is about what they teach! When you see stats like this you wonder how successful they are in teaching an 18 to 24 old year old girl they recruited and have less than a .300 team batting average! Now what are they going to teach my 14 year old daughter to do they can not teach an 18 to 24 old to do?

Some of our kids were at Michigan's camp and were pointed out as having outstanding hitting fundamentals and that program understands hitting techniques. Some of these camps do more harm than good in my opinion.

Thanks Dan

Howard

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Any opinion on the coaches at Northwestern? I recently went to a clinic where they both worked. Some of their swing thoughts are slightly different from Candrea, who was also there.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Any opinion on the coaches at Northwestern? I recently went to a clinic where they both worked. Some of their swing thoughts are slightly different from Candrea, who was also there.

Not sure about NW however I think I have a handle on what Coach is teaching.

Thanks Howard

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I always check the team web page for information. The team BA in 2009 was 294. That is better than most big 10 schools, so they must be doing something right. I had someone tell me such and such college has a great hitting camp. Looked up the school and not one hitter had a BA over 300. One camp we went to the team batted 227, so I like to look at facts. With those kind of results something is wrong!

Oct 19, 2009
They list a Got Bustos Clinic on February 20, 2010 in Dacula, GA, a coach clinic on February 19, 2010. I hope that is legit.

I found a list of D1 teams BA, HR, F% etc through 04/19/2010 they should have had maybe 6 – 8 games remaining. I don’t know why, but was not able to find one on the complete season. Link below.

At one of the college clinics my daughter attended they advised when you practice; practice to hit the best pitching you will face. You should be good enough to hit the average and below pitcher. The test will come when you face the best pitching. In order for your team to win the tournament hitters need to be up to the task of hitting the best pitching.

I totally agree that some coaches do more harm than good. My girl has attended camps at Alabama & Georgia and I think both were good camps. The old saying of only take the advice of someone successful needs to apply. I’m on this form trying to be some one who is part of the solution and not part of the problem.

The best clinic in the world is only as good as what you bring home, apply and practice.
I’ve read where someone advised that it took 1,500 repetitions to change a muscle memory 10,000 times to prefect it.

Old Vince Lombardi saying; Success is when preparation meets opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32