Military Move coming up. If you could put your DD in any state? Where would it be?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Quick backstory- 2024 DD playing TB since 7yr old. Started travel at 9yr old in Louisiana x 2 years, now in Central California for past 2.5 and exploded with softball skills. Really progressed well in Cali! She is 8th grade pitcher/UT for Central Coast National Known TB org at 14u, all 06 team. One of the pair Aces for team. Literally split in innings pitched, 39.1 innings for each Ace so far, the next pitcher on team at 8 innings pitched for fall. I personally think it is neck and neck between the two, but my DD has played against the tougher comp and starts in semi's and finals in the tourneys. We will be leaving after next summer nationals (IDT, PGF if qual-05 team already in) and the short list is Oklahoma, Texas, Florida with other two Arizona and Nevada (Vegas). Listed below is what I know between the states quick down/dirty. please fill me in if better info or squash my assumptions.

And extra Q: Where would you want your DD to complete her HS years if could move anywhere in USA if just for softball (I can't stay in Cali. lol)? Thanks again.

Oklahoma (OKC area)- HS ball in fall (WTF?) minimal female coaching at TB level (I don't understand why, at least one prior player on LOTS of teams out here including ours) and still high amount of daddy ball (based on coach names, team roster online). Teams- Tulsa elite, exclusive, gametime examples. Fall travel ball and HS same time (don't like that). Her HS she likely would attend recently won state highest 6A and former OU player as HC. Trophy chasers with 2024 teams still competing right now in 12u this fall. my DD been playing 14u since spring 2019.

Texas (San Antonio) - very good teams, but lots of levels for national/gold/futures, blah, blah, blah. What is united/national team pitchers throwing for rotation/location % and I guess the always bragged about speed. Bombers, Blaze (my personal fav based online research), Aces, etc. HS likely attend coached by former D1 college player. Endless defending district champs. And if national Texas team, how far do some girls come from to play on them (say if we were stationed in OK?)

Florida (panhandle/Destin) - no freaking idea..lol. Do you go north to Georgia? HS team runner up 2x years in a row state 6A a few years ago. Must be good I guess

Arizona (Phoenix) - I know its good, but no clue

Nevada (Vegas) - got nothing. lol

Thanks for any insight!

KLS

Jun 8, 2016
If you end up in Oklahoma, at 14U and above the Oklahoma Athletics org is another one to look at. The premier team typically plays PGF, Sparkler, etc. That said, I am not sure what sort of college connections they have outside of the OK/TX/KS area as most of the girls end up playing for schools in those states.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Well, I would say Illinois if you were in the Air Force and then wanted to live in a small town with a very good softball program. Your commute to work would be 20 min at most. I know one of the coaches real well. ;)

However, I am a guy and so, I guess I am disqualified.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Texas of course!!!! Central Tx is a beautiful area of Texas that most would like to live. Speaking on the top teams: Bombers Gold (mostly Houston kids), Blaze(mix of central TX and a few Houston kids), AE-mostly Houston and surrounding area. Might be an IG team in Central Tx area. If Oklahoma, you can drive to Dallas to play with TX Glory or Tx Glory Adkins. All of these team play in Houston just about every weekend at least the 16U/18U teams. Lots of great HS softball in Dallas and Central Tx...and of course Houston area. HS Softball in Ok is a fall sport. You have lots of great choices that I don't think you can go wrong with any of them....except Oklahoma! lol.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since your DD's softball career will last, at best, until she is 22, and her education will last until she "shuffles off her mortal coil": Go for the place with the best school systems, which would be in the Northeast: Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc.

Jun 8, 2016
Since your DD's softball career will last, at best, until she is 22, and her education will last until she "shuffle off her mortal coil": Go for the place with the best school systems, which would be in the Northeast: Massachusetts, Vermont, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc.
I would have said this too but I was under the impression his military move was limiting him to certain places...

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
In Oklahoma, like Pattar said, the Athletics will be your safest bet in terms of bids/berths in top tournaments and higher finishes. Hotshots - Yeatts (a part of the Diamond Sports Hotshots org) have also been VERY good and did well in Huntington Beach last year, but they're at the very south end of the state.

Jun 8, 2016
. Hotshots - Yeatts (a part of the Diamond Sports Hotshots org) have also been VERY good and did well in Huntington Beach last year, but they're at the very south end of the state.
and I think the Athletics may have swallowed them up.. if you cannot develop it "buy" it..:LOL:

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Wow. I spent 30 years in the military, and I made all my moves based upon where I felt I needed to go to enhance my career, while also taking into account family quality of life concerns. I never once took into consideration which locations had the best sports programs for one of my three children. I was more concerned about my ability to make a difference to the national security of our country, and about which areas had the better school systems for all three of my kids, better work opportunities for my loving wife, better cost of living, and safer environments for the family. To each his/her own, I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee