Military Move coming up. If you could put your DD in any state? Where would it be?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Thanks for replies so far. Yes my move is limited to those areas, but just a general question where would you guys pick for your kid as well.

Cannonball- absolutely nothing with men as coaches, I just see it as a question I cant find an answer to when I look at oklahoma teams /roster and see almost all males/dads.

This is great input everyone. Thanks!

May 31, 2018
Wow. I spent 30 years in the military, and I made all my moves based upon where I felt I needed to go to enhance my career, while also taking into account family quality of life concerns. I never once took into consideration which locations had the best sports programs for one of my three children. I was more concerned about my ability to make a difference to the national security of our country, and about which areas had the better school systems for all three of my kids, better work opportunities for my loving wife, better cost of living, and safer environments for the family. To each his/her own, I guess.

Yes. It is each there own and thank you for your service. I have been in 23 years and this is my last move. Likely stay where we end up if we like it so for the first time in my career I have enough rank to finally have my choices considered and if I can include my family input it's even better. So yes, softball is a big part of our decision. I figure most people here get that..lol

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Cannonball- absolutely nothing with men as coaches, I just see it as a question I cant find an answer to when I look at oklahoma teams /roster and see almost all males/dads.

I don't know the answer either. It's taken a full calendar year to find one for my daughter's 12u team.

Apr 20, 2015
Well, I would say Illinois if you were in the Air Force and then wanted to live in a small town with a very good softball program. Your commute to work would be 20 min at most. I know one of the coaches real well. ;)

However, I am a guy and so, I guess I am disqualified.
If your in IL you can always hook up with the Beverly bandits program....06 team took 5th at PGF last yr.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Also, the fall deal- from what I've heard, it's because the OSSAA doesn't want slow pitch to die off, and it's played in the spring here. In fact, some schools here require girls to play slow pitch in order to play fast pitch, as a way of ensuring that schools have enough girls to field teams.

Apr 28, 2016
I don’t have much specific team input, but you might also consider GA if you have the choice. There are some very good teams/orgs in the Atlanta area, but GA would be a no-go if you are opposed to School ball in the fall. Keep in mind that we can play softball outside year round, so waiting to start fall travel season until late October/early December isn’t as limiting as you might think.

If you are willing to travel for a team, I would move to the Destin area purely for the beaches. Plus, I’m almost positive FL doesn’t have state income taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Were you at Vandenberg? I was at Vandy for a couple tours and my home is San Antonio (although I'm currently in Colorado).

San Antonio is kind of in an odd spot there is a great softball scene there you can play almost every weekend and there are tons of teams but it never seems like there are those couple organizations that rise to the top and get the top talent instead that talent gets spread out and all the teams are just a half a notch away from those top national team. Also Texas is big ;) Houston or Dallas isn't really a commute option (unless you are strictly talking a hired gun type situation)... otherwise it could be almost an hour commute if the team is just on the other side of town, hence why people just play for the team down the street.

High school is normal schedule and it is very competitive.

From a play in college standpoint there are TONS of teams around and Texas has lots of schools so if she falls into the smaller D1 bucket but for academic rigor I'm gonna be honest not very impressive

It's almost year round...everyone just kinda of take the time around the holidays off but like right now its 70s and 80s so weather is good deal

You looking at Lackland or Randolph? Feel free to ask more question here for feedback or you can PM me

Last edited:
May 29, 2019
No way I would ever consider HS softball in a family relocation situation. HS softball doesn't mean a darn thing in the grand scheme of things....But to answer the hypothetical question, I would pick a state where softball is the opposite season of whatever her second favorite sport it. For us, softball and track are both in the spring. I think (not certain) in Georgia, track and softball opposite so I would look there.

May 31, 2018
No way I would ever consider HS softball in a family relocation situation. HS softball doesn't mean a darn thing in the grand scheme of things....But to answer the hypothetical question, I would pick a state where softball is the opposite season of whatever her second favorite sport it. For us, softball and track are both in the spring. I think (not certain) in Georgia, track and softball opposite so I would look there.
Long Baller,

Yeah, HS is not the important aspect but I am old school and feel if you can contribute to your HS team, you should play for your HS. Oklahoma is the concern with Volleyball as her second sport and both in same season.

Keep in mind this is all hypothetical...lol. These are top choices and I have a good chance to end up there, but the Air Force is going to put where they need me. So, yes could end up in NE or IL, but I do have some pull. I will definitely post where we end up sometime in Dec/Jan and we will be leaving after PGF 2020.

It sounds like Houston is basically a hot bed and is equivalent to "Socal" for us here in California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802