Howard Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Since live swings are what matter, let's focus on live swings and the results of Howard's drills.

As instructors .... the drills used to teach 'live swings' are important. You have acknowledged that the mechanics in the "hand path" drill don't match up with a real swing. If you can, please address the questions asked above about the drill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
How does your you view hold up against this clip...

V_H_HD_FPS_Public_MeganBush_1B_HR_ToLF_09-071_60FPS_UpperBody_40-55_R.gif

It holds up just fine. Even though you can't see it, I'm sure others on here can see the difference between the front elbow moving forward in response to the back elbow slotting, and the front elbow moving forward because of upper torso rotation.

Bush's front elbow moves forward when her shoulders begin to turn. Prior to that she does her best to keep her hands back at her back shoulder. IMO she doesn't do it as efficiently as Bustos and Yee. Bush's swing is not a swing that I would hold up to my daughter as one to emulate.

There are many examples of FP hitters that work their elbows in unison. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of parents and instructors teach it. The point of my post is that even though it is commonly taught, it's not what I see hitters like Bustos and Yee doing.

Every coach I have ever talked to in FP agrees that it is bad for a hitter to drop their hands.

If a hitter works their elbows in such a way that the front elbow moves forward like it's going up a ramp as the back elbow slots, the hands will drop and move forward towards the oncoming pitch.

Does a hitter that moves their hands forward towards the oncoming pitch as their elbow slots, have more or less time to read the pitch and swing, than a hitter that keeps their hands back at their rear shoulder as their elbow slots?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 14, 2008
CO,I have viewed this player's swing many times from the side and although the information you offer has merit,you are comparing an overhead view of Rose to a rear view of the player to come your conclusions. Don't you think that the comclusions you are making about the efficiency of her mechanics require a side view ?

Oct 12, 2009
CO,I have viewed this player's swing many times from the side and although the information you offer has merit,you are comparing an overhead view of Rose to a rear view of the player to come your conclusions. Don't you think that the comclusions you are making about the efficiency of her mechanics require a side view ?

That's not currently available for either hitter, so we have to make do with what we have.

If you can think in three dimensions, and watch the angles, it's clear that the two swings match up quite well.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
There are many examples of FP hitters that work their elbows in unison. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of parents and instructors teach it. The point of my post is that even though it is commonly taught, it's not what I see hitters like Bustos and Yee doing...Every coach I have ever talked to in FP agrees that it is bad for a hitter to drop their hands.

The idea of maintaining the box or the triangle is one of the few ideas that is consistent across the major schools of hitting.

It's also unrelated to dropping the hands.

If a hitter works their elbows in such a way that the front elbow moves forward like it's going up a ramp as the back elbow slots, the hands will drop and move forward towards the oncoming pitch.

The hands move forward as the back shoulder moves forward, not independently.

Does a hitter that moves their hands forward towards the oncoming pitch as their elbow slots, have more or less time to read the pitch and swing, than a hitter that keeps their hands back at their rear shoulder as their elbow slots?

You're talking about a move that is much more dynamic than this.

Also, what I am talking about is from the moment the front heel plants on through the Point Of Contact.

You do see some independent movement of the back elbow prior to the start of the swing, but once the front heel plants the elbows move in synchronization. If they didn't, then you'd be introducing slack and length into the swing.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
She can also teach hitting and relate to kids. That is a rare gift. If you ever get a chance to set down with her and talk hitting , it is a treat. I know one person that teaches her swing and knows it better than anyone, Howard. ( hitter).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She can also teach hitting and relate to kids. That is a rare gift. If you ever get a chance to set down with her and talk hitting , it is a treat. I know one person that teaches her swing and knows it better than anyone, Howard. ( hitter).

SBF ... I'd welcome more input about the use of her bottom hand. Someone earlier mentioned that she teaches use of the lead hand/arm ... but didn't give any specifics. I believe you (it may have been someone else) and I have discussed how she buries the knob of the barrel in her bottom hand ... any details of 'why' would be appreciated.

I personally see significant discrepancies between the "hand path" drill and Crystal's actual swing.

If you have details on Crystal's use of her bottom hand ... then I'd appreciate hearing them.

Oct 12, 2009
Like FFS here with Bustos, Jack Mankin uses a clip of Dustin Pedroia to try to prove his idea of torquing the handle. However, my clip of Dustin Pedroia proves that he is misinterpreting Pedroia's swing.

V_H_HD_BB_Public_DustinPedroia_1B_D_OffLFWall_09-045_60FPS_35-46_R.gif

Instead of continuously torquing the barrel through the POC, Pedroia instead just sets the hinge angle (the angle between the front forearm and the barrel of the bat) a bit wider than usual. He then maintains that (wider) hinge angle until Frame 43 or so when he releases the barrel and lets it whip through the strike zone.

In fact, by maintaining this more open hinge angle, you could argue that Pedroia is leaving power on the table by reducing the Whip of his swing. However, he probably does what he does to increase the quickness of his swing so it may be a wash.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CO, take note that I began my post by stating that Busto’s swing is “special”. The reason for doing that was to point out that her swing wasn’t typical.

You went on to refer to her swing here as “atypical”.

Is the implication that this swing, being “atypical” in your words, should not be used as a model swing for others to follow?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Instead of continuously torquing the barrel through the POC, Pedroia instead just sets the hinge angle (the angle between the front forearm and the barrel of the bat) a bit wider than usual. He then maintains that (wider) hinge angle until Frame 43 or so when he releases the barrel and lets it whip through the strike zone.

Remember what you wrote .... "One of the first rules of good video analysis is to know the context of a clip." This clip you present looks to be a reaction to an inside pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00