Howard Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Someone asked for someone to explain SB's three steps: Coil - Stretch - Separate. So I did.

"Separate" is the term SB uses, and yes it is the "Swing".

IMO, the term "Separate" as used by SB is very clever because as FFS points out it encompasses more than just the "swing". It is a reminder that a properly executed swing in which the top hand resist allows the hips to get out in front of the hands. IOW, HOW you swing matters. In this sense it is more than just swing. It is "Swing" in such a way to allow the hips to get out in front of the hands to create "Separation".

There are lots of different ways to swing a bat. IMO, only one allows for maximum separation along with connection. I believe an efficient swing has to have both connection and separation. What I see a lot in FP are connected swings with little separation. Basically, gate type swings. Or, disconnected swings with lots of separation. My daughter was the latter.

IMO, creating separation during the swing part of the swing is not well understood. Which is why we get comments like "P.S. 2 and 3 are the same."

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Butos and Howard demonstrate this by extending the palm of the right hand face up and taking the left hand and using the index finger and thumb in the area of the forearm so the fingers encompass the forearm and then taking the ring finger and social finger of the extended hand and moving the fingers towards the palm of the hand and you will feel the muscles activated on both sides of the forearm. They term these as grippers. The social finger and ring finger share a common tendon and are the strongest fingers of the hand. Then they take the thumb and index finger and repeat and you will feel a slight activation on the thumb side of the forearm and they term these as balancers.

Crystl will hang the baby finger off the knob of the bat in some situations especially when she is going for a pitch way out of the strike zone. It, the bat IS not being held in the middle of the palm and that is being mis represented as we have worked many clinics together.

She holds the bat with only the ring and social finger and dares a big brute dad to pull the bat from her grip and to date no one has has.

Oct 19, 2009
If you put your curser on her back elbow at the start of the swing, it goes around the corner.

I have asked her to do dryswings in her bedroom to load straight back. I have seen this and talked with her on the subject.
She has not done enough reps to change her load straight back verses going around the corner.

Another thing that does is take your hands out over the plate abit before you go straight and you end up hitting less with the sweet part of the bat.

Or as Howard says your bat in not in the big zone as long

It also screws abit with keeping a tight hand path.

It is up to her to fix it. I can tell her, she has to practice it.

Straightleg

SL I advocate to the kids I work with and my daughter 300 swings a day, do they do NO. Many times I find that once they begin to be successful in games they almost become victims of their own success. They ask for help because they are struggling at the plate, know after work on technique and doing the extra swings and etc to get better and hit better. Once that happens they quit working on the things that helped them be successful, it’s like I got it know and I don’t need to work as hard.

Hitting, in my opinion, is a continual work in progress, a pitcher is somewhere trying to get better to get you out and you as a hitter need to be working to keep her from doing that.

To help your team win championships you must not only hit the average pitcher, but the good ones too. If your team constantly finishes second or third in tournaments then you and your team need to work more on hitting the best pitchers you will face.

The Bustos swing you guys are evaluating is spectacular if I remember she hit the ball a mile. The utube clip attached she hits balls inchers off the plate and in her eyes, add this pitcher perfect swing to the results of these and Bustos is one amazing hitter!!!!!!!

YouTube - Bustos the Great

Jeff Kneiert

Miltonball
May 3, 2010
SL, I understand your frustration in terms of trying to get your daughter to rotate her hips ahead of her shoulders during a live game-like swing. I’ve seen the issue several times. I’ve seen coaches, and supposed hitting instructors, frustrate themselves trying to solve this issue. The reality is, it is an easy issue to rectify. LC gave you the answer already in this thread.

Can you show me where LC gave the answer, I cannot seem to find it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Can you show me where LC gave the answer, I cannot seem to find it.

LC gave the answer towards the bottom of post #25.

I know it was short. Probably easy to miss .... especially if you are looking for a long winded answer to something that can appear difficult to solve, but is in fact relatively easy. LC could have simply said two words … "Coil-Stretch".

Hitters that have a difficult time separating, 'generally' have an issue with their Kinetic swing sequence. Failure to separate, with timing, isn't so much a matter of not trying hard enough, but of not using a healthier swing sequence.

Separation shouldn’t be something you have to force along with conscious effort. Separation should simply be the 'result' of using a good swing sequence.

Sadly, I've seen several parent/hitter/coach combinations take an approach of forcing the action to occur. Their belief, or hope, is that by forcing the hips ahead of the shoulders during practices, that they will eventually burn the mechanic into a hitter's swing. I've seen cases in which parent/daughter/instructor worked on this issue for over a year ... ... ... unsuccessfully! Unfortunately, IMO anyway, this isn't one of those areas where you force something to happen and then hope to burn it into muscle memory through repeated practices. That approach will simply lead to frustration on the part of the hitter, parent and instructor.

The reality is, that when you use a healthy swing sequence, that separation will take place naturally and without conscious effort. The effort shouldn't be in forcing the action, but in getting the swing sequence correct.

Simply follow a sequence of Coil-Stretch … as in Coil-Stretch-Swing.

Coil
2w36ejd.gif

Stretch
29dvdxx.gif

IMO, the effort should be placed on getting the swing sequence correct, and not in forcing the action.

'Coil-Stretch-Swing'.

LC is good! Very good!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283