Seeking advice: If your DD is not going to be tall - a novel I know, sorry ;-)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

This is some great simple advice. Its so true and sadly it hit me hard. I do need to enjoy this time for her!! Thanks!

here's how i look at it...if your daughter is a great 13 yr old pitcher? ENJOY THAT !!! most people would love to be in your shoes right? i don't know if there is a height requirement for being great? maybe there is,maybe there ain't? i don't know if my dd is gonna be great at 14u,16u,or 18u? but you know what? she's works very hard and right now, she's a great 12 yr old pitcher...so try not to worry about the things you cannot change,and enjoy the fact that your dd is great RIGHT NOW !!!

May 22, 2011
one of the pcs i take some of my pitchers to(and its a very respected accademy) just told me the other day of one of his students on scholarship at a d1 school and she is only 5'4 and is one of the hardest throwers they have ever had

Sep 21, 2011
I know there is always a tiny possibility that a (D1) college coach may give a shorter pitcher a chance (if she can do the job) but honestly out of all the college ball we watch (we watch a lot) we can't recall seeing a 5'7 (or shorter) pitcher pitching in a good (D1) college program - or have we had selective vision?

Danielle Lawrie, two-time national player of the year and 2009 national champion with the University of Washington, is 5'-7".

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My DD just turned 13 and is 5 feet tall. She has dedicated herself to being a pitcher since whe was 9 years old; however, my husband and I both always thought that her ultimate destination in softball would be as an outfielder (quick feet, good glove). Last year, she played on a very successful TB team and was the no. 3 pitcher. She saw some light relief duty and pitched in games where the opposing team wasn't as competitive. When she wasn't pitching she played outfield. DH and I both felt that this was a great fit for our daughter - playing at the highest level for her age and tracking towards being a very very good outfielder. But you know what? DD still wants to be a pitcher - wants it with a passion that I honestly don't understand (pitching would be my own personal worst nightmare; I always played field sports - anything individual sends me into a panic attack). At the end of last season, our now 14U daughter decided to change to a less competitive team where she would get maximum time in the circle. She has very nice command and great movement, but will need to gain a few pounds before she breaks out of the low 50s speed-wise. At this point, we have no idea when/if she will grow - she is still built like a whippet at 82 pounds, but has size 8.5 feet. I, too, wondered if I should have a talk with our DD and explain that if she wants to play D1 ball it will have to be as an outfielder. I've since changed my thinking. If she wants something so badly, and is willing to make the changes necessary to be able to play where she wants to, who am I to stand in her way? As you all have said, there are LOTS of places for her to play, at every ability level, and education comes first.

Duane

some softball dude
Aug 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I agree wholeheartedly with the other comments about the reasons your daughter should pick a college.

Regarding pitching and height - last year we went and watched the University of the Pacific play Long Beach State, both small schools but I think this still emphasizes the point. The Long Beach State pitcher (Erin Jones-Wesley) is listed as 5'8" but their definitely exaggerating that a bit. Long story short - very solid pitcher with, tons of accolades and accomplishments. Height may help but dedication is key.

Sep 11, 2009
Pitcher's Height

My DD is a 5'3" HS Sr and plays 18UA tournament ball. She developed her pitching mechanics by working with a pitching coach who was female, had a successful pitching career, and was about her same stature. Tall pitchers use long leverage mechanics which just do not work for smaller players. Smaller players need to be more explosive off the mound and develop a faster drive than the tall girls who can sling the ball in.

DD has committed to play at a D3 school rather than seek a D1 or D2 level athletic scholarship. She pitches at the same level as other D1/2 recruits in our area do. The time commitment/activity restrictions required in D1/2 would in her case diminish her reasons for going to college. To get a good education and enjoy the entire college experience.

To sum it up "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog that counts"

May 7, 2008
don't give up dont be polly anna

My daughter is 5-2 and pitching in a very good D3 program at a very demanding academic school. She was not even a consideration for D1, flat out coaches said no way, sorry, play outfield or second, even in the Ivy league.

Is there tremendous bias against smaller players ABSOLUTELY. There are counter examples of the superstars at 5-4 (mowat) 5-5 and 5-6 but reality is the coachs always believe that they can take a good pitcher and make then better BUT they cannot make them grow. As a freshman the seniors told her at the end of the year go grow this summer. Now the all american (5-8) ahead of her graduated and now she has a shot.

But the advice - pick a school for academics and hope the softabll works out is the best idea i have seen on here.

The other best plans for insurance are top level grades and a dangerous bat. If you hit, you may not pitch but you will play!

A lot of it is the luck of the draw anyhow. even if you think you are the stud entering a roster without one, trust me the coach is desperately recruiting the next stud in line.

And if you're small you better be strong and fit. A 5-9 185# strong fit athlete with good mechanics just has an edge on the player with the same skills who is smaller.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
If the girl is 5'0" and throws 50mph she will not get a shot at D-1. If she is 5'0" and throws 65mph with movement and control she will be somewhere very good. If a coach overlooks the ability because of the size, he/she would be an idiot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi