Howard Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2010
Sorry, everyone. This thread was originally intended for this area, where comments are not allowed. It was mis-posted. Comments were deleted without any value judgment on the quality or validity of what was said. I deleted them out of respect for Howard's wishes and intentions. Many find his drills valuable, so in order to have them available I had to make this change.

I have total respect for that.

Just would like to add one thing here---my daughter was recruited by Purdue. Crystal Bustos was there doing the hitting part--- and obviously talked about the swing. The sequence. Common flaws. Cues. etc.
Let me say that in 15 minutes she did a magnificent job.
To me, it indicates the effectiveness of what she was taught.
She was able to relate it in a way that was so very deep, yet simple.
Again a testament to her understanding.

Howard, if you're peeking in----nice job.

Ken, I hope this can stay. If not I understand.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yes, Howard (Hitter), nice job. Howard frequents another site that I just can't get on to post. I miss being able to pick his brain. Straightleg, if you can ever help me get on that site, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm reminded of a local coach that often comes under criticism because of the way he coached. He is retired now. He coached speaking about Vietnam and how he survived his time there including the Tet Offensive. He spoke of corn fields and hard work and handling adversity and... It just didn't make sense to anyone now in the program. Recently at a social gathering he was the butt of jokes. So, I asked some of those "smarter coaches" just how many games they have won because he's won more than 700 and is in our state's Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame.

Howard views things differently. His approach is unique. His success documented. That is why I miss his participation.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Yes, Howard (Hitter), nice job. Howard frequents another site that I just can't get on to post. I miss being able to pick his brain. Straightleg, if you can ever help me get on that site, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I'm reminded of a local coach that often comes under criticism because of the way he coached. He is retired now. He coached speaking about Vietnam and how he survived his time there including the Tet Offensive. He spoke of corn fields and hard work and handling adversity and... It just didn't make sense to anyone now in the program. Recently at a social gathering he was the butt of jokes. So, I asked some of those "smarter coaches" just how many games they have won because he's won more than 700 and is in our state's Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame.

Howard views things differently. His approach is unique. His success documented. That is why I miss his participation.

What site are you trying to get on. pm me

Straightleg

R

RayR

I commented on the thread with no meaning of disrespect toward Howard (we have shared PM's). My point was simply that Casey's lower body was not ahead of the shoulders in the drill and I used Bustos as an example of where to be at heel plant. I think this position is CRITICAL to being short to and long through the hitting zone. There are mny non posters out there that I am sure try this stuff out - was just trying to add to the discussion.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
MTS, I didn't take your post to be disrespectful .... you simply questioned a portion of the drill. That's one way these message boards help us become better .... by pointing out differences and allowing a discussion to occur. I thought you had a good point and would have liked to learn if the lack of spatial separation was intentional, and if so, why.

When you listen to the video you can hear Howard instruct "elbows". I was hoping that SL might describe what was being instructed in terms of the elbows. Why is the swing demo'd without slotting of the rear arm and what is the advantage of having the rear elbow displaced much further from the body than it would be in a normal swing?

a4sl11.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
p.s.

I would have also liked to have learned if getting to this position was one of the goals of this drill.

105zhjm.jpg

.... because it sort of resembled it IMO.

2myp3b5.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
MTS, I didn't take your post to be disrespectful .... you simply questioned a portion of the drill. That's one way these message boards help us become better .... by pointing out differences and allowing a discussion to occur. I thought you had a good point and would have liked to learn if the lack of spatial separation was intentional, and if so, why.

When you listen to the video you can hear Howard instruct "elbows". I was hoping that SL might describe what was being instructed in terms of the elbows. Why is the swing demo'd without slotting of the rear arm and what is the advantage of having the rear elbow displaced much further from the body than it would be in a normal swing?

a4sl11.gif

FFS
What do you think about the soft toss video.

Can you slow her swing down from the back to see where the elbow slots.

Thanks
Gerry

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SL ... please post a link to the soft-toss video.

If you don't wish to answer the questions to the lack of slotting in the above drill, or the reason for the excessive elbow distance from the body, or if there is an intent to have a vertical forearm at bat lag with the hands out front of the body (as shown above), or what is being instructed by Howard in terms of the elbow movement .... then I'll respect that ..... but if you could shed some light on that, then it would be appreciated. In any event ... I'd gladly look at Casey's video. There was one swing a while back in which I felt she was getting reasonably close to the pattern .... but it looked nothing like the slow motion clip above.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SL ... I located the soft-toss video that I believe you were referring to.

It reminded me of this clip.

KaaaaaaaaaaaPOW.gif

The building of the 'stretch' is important ... some even consider it an absolute.

The question I have for you is other than a mental image of this ... what mechanics do you feel are important in teaching this stretch? Do you simply use a verbal cue like "KaaaaaaaPOW", or do you teach physical mechanics that help obtain the 'stretch'?

I see LClifton is posting here now. Sure would love to here his thoughts on teaching "stretch".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283