Howard Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2008
MTS,
Great work on the Bustos clip! Would you be so kind as to put up the frame where contact is made?Also,the side view of sl's girl did exist here but it was removed. It clearly shows the differences between the two hitters and to be honest,there are not many hitters who would fair well when compared to Bustos.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia

Excellent still shots. I see her back elbow tuck/slot with zero corresponding forward movement of the front elbow. The front elbow doesn't move forward until upper torso rotation kicks in. IMO, these still shots show how the two elbows work independently. IMO, the front elbow never moves forward in response to the back elbow tucking. Instead the front forearm lifts up off the chest/letters. Because Bustos uses a handset where her front forearm is already close to max up, her front forearm doesn't have much visible lift when her back elbow slots.

Taking this one step further, IMO her back elbow is responding to her top hand, which is applying rearward torque on the handle to get the barrel moving. IOW the rear elbow action is an indication of what the top hand is doing. When I see clips of batters like this where the back elbow moves a lot, while the front forearm moves very little in response, I see a batter who is using a lot of top hand at swing initiation.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
one useful analytic perspective is what is required for the sort of connection that produces the efficent addition/summation ( to use slaught/candrea/enquist/rightview terms) of the HLBB swing:

for heel plant to heel plant +4 -

heel plant +1:Go move underway. shoulders tilting. rear forearm supinating. lead forearm pronating. barrel starts to blur.rear leg has turned ahead of rear hip.rear hip has begun thrusting. clockwise (anti-bugsquish rotation of back foot underway)elbows have established a spacing they keep as they turn/rotate together in the remaining frames shown here.

+1 +2+3: torso stretches/separates as rear hip thrusts/hips lead hands, and shoulders tilt and resist turning hands stay back/keeep relation to back shoulder and bat accelerates around hand pivot/point between hands

+3+4: torso turn max turning/max displacement of "USA" on Jersey
bicep pinch still in place/no extension at back elbow which is necessary for torso to accelerate efficiently, rear hip continues to thrust.

after this - there needs to be "summation/addition" with efficient "speed gains" from proximal to distal links.

rear hip continues to thrust. bat continues to be turned between hands. torso decelerates, extension begins at rear elbow and handpath/lead arm accelerates/comes away from torso

then lead arm/handpath decelerate and led wrist un cocks/barrel whips to contact.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She does talk about importance of elbows working as a unit, pulling knob parallel to contact, and releasing bat head to the ball.

DaddyO ... do you have any more information along the lines of Crystal stressing "pulling the knob parallel to contact". I believe she really does make significant use of her bottom hand .... and would like to know what you learned about her use of the bottom hand.

R

RayR

Rudy Jaramillo has a swing thought of the knob of the bat and rear hip fire at the same time - try it out. If the sequence is correct the hips should start to open before the hands move forward from the action of heel plant. So, in reality the rear hip is already ahead. But, the thought of firing the knob and rear hip together gets the hands going on time. I bet my money that on video that the rear hip is ahead of the hands, though...point is IMO, a lot of swing thoughts don't flesh out on video especially done at full speed.

Oct 19, 2009
I think if you ask either of them, they both would say her father George had something to do with it as well.
I have tried to read all of this and its hard to make sense of some of it. But one thing that i didn't see mentioned, is Bustos vision, which also has a lot to do with her success.
I have met Howard, he offered some advice to my daughter and it helped her.

The link to the Vision training called "How do you teach tracking the ball".

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/2173-how-do-you-teach-tracking-ball.html

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rudy Jaramillo has a swing thought of the knob of the bat and rear hip fire at the same time - try it out. If the sequence is correct the hips should start to open before the hands move forward from the action of heel plant. So, in reality the rear hip is already ahead. But, the thought of firing the knob and rear hip together gets the hands going on time. I bet my money that on video that the rear hip is ahead of the hands, though...point is IMO, a lot of swing thoughts don't flesh out on video especially done at full speed.

Yes ... it's "hips & hands". They both 'fire' at the same time.

Notice that when the hands 'fire', that the barrel is often sent rearward .... in a sense, the barrel is being turned .... and the theory is that this early turning of the barrel assists in providing resistance to the hands in terms of movement of the hands forward towards contact, while the hips are seen to be advancing towards contact.

IMO, the cue "the hands are the last to go" applies to the forward movement of the hands .... the hands, in a sense, already fired in terms of turning the barrel.

Oct 12, 2009
Lest casual observers get confused about what a good swing looks like, let me make a few comments, and point out a few things, about this clip...

Casey_03282010_EeeeOww.gif

This swing is well above average and definitely moving in the right direction.

If you trim the clip and slow it down...

Casey_03282010_EeeeOww_21-27_R.gif

...you will see a number of very good things.

You can see her stay connected and pass through the Vertical V position (see Frame 24), she holds the hinge angle well, her alignment is quite good (and efficient), and she gets good whip.

Her back elbow does get a little far forward at the POC, but there are any number of explanations for that, including where the ball was tossed. I don't see ANY evidence that she pushes to get there or that she currently has a problem with an overly dominant top hand (because her hands turn the corner and she gets good whip).

If you put this clip up against this clip of Pete Rose...

PeteRose_OH_001.gif

...you would see that the two are essentially identical.

Finally, a comment was made about how this hitter's back elbow and front elbow move independently. However, this clip...

Casey_03282010_EeeeOww_22-23_R.gif

...demonstrates that's not the case. Watch how, as her back elbow drops, her front elbow rises. Some people call that maintaining the triangle, and she is clearly doing it.

P.S. Why do I care about this? I don't know Howard but I do respect him. I wouldn't hesitate to send someone to him. We would probably disagree on a few things, but the guy clearly knows how to get results and move hitters in the right direction. As a result, I find the attempts to nit pick him and his work to death to be highly offensive and disingenuous. It's purportedly being done in good faith, but you really have to wonder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez