Howard Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I submit to CO that if you are making your judgement on this hitter's swing based on the rear view ,you may change your mind if you take a look at the side view.This hitter is top hand dominant as pointed out several times above and elsewhere.If this player started with an offset and rotated into footplant after having loaded the scaps,there would be no issue with separation.It appears to me that the drill as taught by HC has the hip contribution ending early and since there is little separation ,the arms disconnect and push forward and out to the ball.

Townson .... good input!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Allot of you have LARGE opinion's on picking apart someone else on what they do or how they do it.

NEVER see ANY video of what drills you do, or a hitter you work with.

Only MLB swings that you give YOURSELF credit for.

Straightleg

SL .... any chance of you answering the questions on the demonstration of the hand path drill?

In the side toss video .... do you disagree with what has been said here? Do you see the hip/shoulder separation issue? Do you understand why folks are concerned with it? It will not only impact power generation, but also the ability to adjust to pitch location. The concern is that "in the box", when facing quality pitching, that a swing with these mechanics won't be as successful as this kid could potentially be. Do you understand what Townson is describing in terms of the setup to help generate dynamic separation? He is attempting to describe what assists a hitter generate dynamic hip/shoulder spatial separation downstream, without conscious effort on the hitter's part, under high speed athletic movements.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, good input.

There is no scap load. There is only movement geared towards the action of using the top hand.

There is an almost a complete lack of mechanics that would benefit "stretch" and "separation". Yet this drill, at least used by others, is meant to enhance stretch related mechanics.

Jul 20, 2010
Amy, let me clarify.

I see people all across forums that pick at the hitters. I know, I know, that's what the clips are put up for. Critique.

Unfortunately what I see many times is "not so subtle" critique of the instructor when you, me, anyone, doesn't really know where the hitter "was" just a week or two ago. So, someone is good enough to share what they do and people sort of "pile on." It is the nature of forums. But few have the ability to judge progress, they want a finished product,,,often times.
As I stated, I see some good things with SL's daughter.

If I'm right in my prediction about SL's daughter (where she was) then I applaud the progress.
I don't think the swing is "all that far off" right now.

Fact is, if I don't like a part of what an instructor does I have the perogative to not use it.
They can do the same with my suggestion. But it looks like this young hitter can handle that suggestion, to my eye.

Bottom line Amy, is this, many are quick to critique--- few offer a "possible" solution / next step.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'll chime in some. First, I think this young lady will hit the snot out of the ball. The "bump" LClifton spoke of is a progression that I think warrent's some consideration. I believe that Howard addressed this concept on another website with a clip posted of a different hitter. I don't recall the phrase but in my "mind's eye" I believe he says the same thing. I think that SL will agree that his daughter like mine and others is still a work in progress. I see similarities to my daughter's swing in some of the clips of SL's daughter. In saying that, I'd work first on the load of that front side just a little better but then again, I'm one who believes in Elvis, hip load etc. I do also believe in hitting from the back middle or inside part of the back knee from that "sit" position.

Isn't it something that most of us have worked a lot with hitters and yet, our emphasis would be so drastically different. I'm still going to bet that along the lines, we all get the same "stuff" covered.

SL, thanks for these posts because they are currently leading to very positive discussion. I wish your daughter well!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
LC .... I like your recommendation on what to work on. I can envision that taking her swing to a higher level.

CB .... I didn't follow the recommendation of first working on the load of the front side. What do you mean here?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It pretty much was included in my statement. You've read a lot and been involved in the arguments about "Elvis." Take a look at the relationship of knees and the stride out. I will admit that this is backside video and so not the best for what I am looking at.

Look up the Gomes video from U.LL to get a sense.

Now, what do you do with this hitter. Please advise as if you were giving the lesson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerard