HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Honestly, what I'd prefer is for folks to think about how often these arguments have ever added any value to the thread for the original poster (I'm sure there is value added for whoever "wins"). I very rarely see an OP end up with anything but more questions than they had to begin with, and no idea about what any of the instructors here actually think they should do next. I see a lot more "being right" here than I see actual results.

Edit: I should add, I have NO doubt that you and several others here could help me and my DD tremendously. Unfortunately, I can't make heads or tails out of what any of you ACTUALLY teach most of the time, because everything devolves into this kind of stuff.

Responding to your edit.

First, as I warned the OP here ... who IMO received some fairly bad information ... you should seek confirmation through video of the sport/activity attempting to be mastered. In this thread folks punted on the request for confirmation, and that should be a warning flag for others.

Second, Einstein's (apocryphal) dictum rings true ... "if you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough".

Third, you will need to dig in and perform several 'experiments' ... but don't worry, swinging a bat is fun ... so have fun.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
The original poster is one individual .... there are many more individuals in search of information.

I hear you about message boards having varying focus. There is a fair amount of noise relative to useful information. Such is the nature of the beast.

Should Shawn ever articulate his notion of a "front-shoulder to rear-hip spring", and supply supporting evidence, then we all 'win'. I wouldn't hold your breath on that though.

Don't you think you could simply skip that step entirely while simultaneously clarifying the entire situation, by just telling us why that "spring" doesn't exist, if that's how you feel? If you can support that, then Shawn's take is irrelevant. Shawn being demonstrably wrong doesn't help me one way or the other, if the correct information isn't presented. I still can't tell if you're taking exception to what he's trying to describe (front shoulder down and in toward the back hip), or just upset that he's calling it a spring. If you're taking exception to the former, then that has value to me if I can understand WHY. With my extremely limited understanding of hitting, it seems like shortening a spring between the front shoulder and back hip would prevent coiling back into (on to? around? whatever) the back hip, as shortening a connection between the two would draw one towards the other, but I have no idea what EITHER of you are thinking of when you are imagining a spring.

If you just don't like his calling it a spring but agree with his explanation of what action should take place, then just tell us what you'd prefer to see that action described as, and I'll roll my eyes and say you're all being pedantic again lol.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Don't you think you could simply skip that step entirely while simultaneously clarifying the entire situation, by just telling us why that "spring" doesn't exist, if that's how you feel? If you can support that, then Shawn's take is irrelevant. Shawn being demonstrably wrong doesn't help me one way or the other, if the correct information isn't presented. I still can't tell if you're taking exception to what he's trying to describe (front shoulder down and in toward the back hip), or just upset that he's calling it a spring. If you're taking exception to the former, then that has value to me if I can understand WHY. With my extremely limited understanding of hitting, it seems like shortening a spring between the front shoulder and back hip would prevent coiling back into (on to? around? whatever) the back hip, as shortening a connection between the two would draw one towards the other, but I have no idea what EITHER of you are thinking of when you are imagining a spring.

If you just don't like his calling it a spring but agree with his explanation of what action should take place, then just tell us what you'd prefer to see that action described as, and I'll roll my eyes and say you're all being pedantic again lol.

Perhaps I need to repeat the question for you.

Are you suggesting that there is a "spring" between the front-shoulder and rear-hip? If so, please explain how you exploit this "spring action".

Seems only logical that one seeks confirmation of the 'spring' being described.

I have spoken frequently of the lead shoulder down and in action. It is not a spring. Should Shawn stop being allusive then perhaps we can explain the action for him.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
OsDad, there is no ‘spring’ running between the front-shoulder and rear-hip. The reason I asked Shawn the question, was to add clarity and facilitate the discussion. I expected a quick response correcting any such implication/interpretation. Instead Shawn passed on answering the question. What Shawn likely wished to communicate was the internal compression and tension forces taking place within the torso. It would be a questionable swing model to suggest that there is a ‘spring’ located directly between the front-shoulder and rear-hip.

May 12, 2016
LOL..... In all honesty I now need further clarification. I've learned a lot these pass couple of days, so thanks to everybody. However from what I gathered, I believe the front shoulder coiling/gathering towards the back hip is a no teach. I believe it to be the result of proper compression of the leading oblique and coiling into the back hip. I believe the leading oblique compression ( I think of it more as a wringing a dishcloth) helps store energy in the back hip. This movement also results in the hitter showing their numbers to the pitcher and brings the front shoulder down (attack angle) and closer to the back hip. That's what I felt when hitting today, otherwise just coiling the front shoulder to the back hip just seemed superficial to me..

Sorry to all posters who I have regurgitated the words/terms you have been using in previous posts. I do not have the imagination or creativity to make up my own sentences, :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Against my better judgement, I can imagine a compressing of a spring as the front shoulder turns in and get closer to the rear hip and it springing open as the stretched spring between the rear shoulder and front hip compresses. (actually returns to its unstretched mode)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Against my better judgement, I can imagine a compressing of a spring as the front shoulder turns in and get closer to the rear hip and it springing open as the stretched spring between the rear shoulder and front hip compresses. (actually returns to its unstretched mode)

Some pitchers believe that a riseball will jump upwards as it approaches the batter ... and despite having a false image of reality, they seem to do alright.

Personally I scratch my head and wonder how much more effective someone could be if they instead dealt with reality.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
41fKzrIv0eL._SX425_.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA