HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
OsDad, there is no ‘spring’ running between the front-shoulder and rear-hip. The reason I asked Shawn the question, was to add clarity and facilitate the discussion. I expected a quick response correcting any such implication/interpretation. Instead Shawn passed on answering the question. What Shawn likely wished to communicate was the internal compression and tension forces taking place within the torso. It would be a questionable swing model to suggest that there is a ‘spring’ located directly between the front-shoulder and rear-hip.
Yes, if one was to automatically assume that the "spring" ran anteriorly from front shoulder to rear hip. However, if one were to think out of the box, one might consider the "spring" running posteriorly front the front shoulder, around the back to the rear hip. Thusly, when the front shoulder turned "down and in" while the rear hip turned forward, this movement would then lengthen, and thus "load/stretch" said "spring".

Unfortunately, the bigger conundrum is associating any muscle activation based on any "spring" type theory regardless of where all of these "springs" are supposed to be in the body. Because there is no muscle in the body that when you "stretch" it, some sort of energy is being created or stored in said muscle, that supposedly is all suddenly "released", and the muscle "springs" back to it's original resting or neutral position.

Some odd stuff you'll read on some of these forums, and even odder the extent that some will argue a concept like it's their Waterloo, when it's obvious the haven't bothered to pick up a medical journal or A&P book, and take the time to make sure that *they* even understand what they're talking about, before trying to get someone else to believe their - let's just say - their "whatever". ;)

Btw, that was not directed at any one person, as no one seems immune from it (myself included at times)...Five just happened to be the last person to post about the "spring" is all). Peace out. :cool:

Last edited:
May 3, 2014
Even if there was a spring how would that spring connect to the bat? Those darn things running from your shoulder joints to hands kind of muck up that theory. As a disclaimer I went down this rabbit hole. Save yourselves some wasted time and learn how how to turn the barrel with forearms instead.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Even if there was a spring how would that spring connect to the bat? Those darn things running from your shoulder joints to hands kind of muck up that theory. As a disclaimer I went down this rabbit hole. Save yourselves some wasted time and learn how how to turn the barrel with forearms instead.

Have you ever visited X factor circle? I have been down turn the barrel ave. It dead ends at 18u gold pl. with a big pothole at 1234 offspeed st. Just saying.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

While not a 'spring' (more the dealing with muscles shortening and lengthening), the answer to your question is that the connection is made via the lead arm.

Jun 8, 2016
Have you ever visited X factor circle? I have been down turn the barrel ave. It dead ends at 18u gold pl. with a big pothole at 1234 offspeed st. Just saying.

We've had this discussion/argument before. Why are you assuming that a player is just blindly turning the barrel without first recognizing pitch location/speed? Turn at go where go is determined by the hitter based upon pitch recognition...nobody is prescribing closing your eyes and just turning the barrel..at least not from what I have seen. Since we have had this discussion/argument before I know what your retort will be so unless you want to inform the DFP'ers there is not need to respond ;)

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
We've had this discussion/argument before. Why are you assuming that a player is just blindly turning the barrel without first recognizing pitch location/speed? Turn at go where go is determined by the hitter based upon pitch recognition...nobody is prescribing closing your eyes and just turning the barrel..at least not from what I have seen. Since we have had this discussion/argument before I know what your retort will be so unless you want to inform the DFP'ers there is not need to respond ;)

Patter, whats the difference between "turn the barrel" and "whip the barrel" ?

Jun 8, 2016
Patter, whats the difference between "turn the barrel" and "whip the barrel" ?

One word?;) I don't know but is sounds like you do, care to share?

Edit: Hitting a ball hard requires two things, good bat speed at contact and good speed/location recognition. The latter is facilitated by being
able to read a pitch as long as possible before deciding to swing. In turn the ability to read a pitch longer is predicated
on good launch quickness (time between your brain tells you to launch and you actually launch) and time to contact from launch.

WW thinks that the path generated by creating early bat speed doesn't produce a path which has good time to contact since
he is holding to the incorrect idea that a more linear path will be faster. The shortest DISTANCE between two points is a straight line but that doesn't mean it is the fastest path. Time to contact is actually a function of the body's ability to generate
velocity at points along a barrel path. Mathematically time to contact is an integral along the swing path with an integrand proportional
to the inverse of the velocity at point on the path. In turn that velocity is a complicated function of how the body is able to generate force
for various body configurations.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

There is a big difference. ‘Turn the barrel’ is commitment from/at the top. ‘Whip the barrel’ releases vary due to pitch location and speed and requires a hand path accompanied by ‘educated hands’.

When you use terms. Know what they mean. It only helps others not go down ‘rabbit holes’ they don’t wish to explore.

Kid must have kept you up all night last night. :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Edit: Hitting a ball hard requires two things, good bat speed at contact and good timing. Good timing is facilitated by being
able to read a pitch as long as possible before deciding to swing. In turn the ability to read a pitch longer is predicated
on good launch quickness (time between your brain tells you to launch and you actually launch) and time to contact from launch.

WW thinks that the path generated by creating early bat speed doesn't produce a path which has good time to contact since
he is holding to the incorrect idea that a more linear path will be faster. Time to contact is actually a function of the body's ability to generate
velocity at points along a barrel path. Mathematically time to contact is an integral along the swing path with an integrand proportional
to the inverse of the velocity at point on the path. In turn that velocity is a complicated function of how the body is able to generate force

Pattar, what do you mean by "early bat speed"? Are you developing bat speed before you know where you will be swinging it to?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Edit: Hitting a ball hard requires two things, good bat speed at contact and good timing. Good timing is facilitated by being

he is holding to the incorrect idea that a more linear path will be faster. Time to contact is actually a function of the body's ability to generate

Read my post better. I’m talking about ADJUSTABLITY again... I have done the turn the barrel thing. It’s sudden. It’s powerful. Its not adjustable. The hitter knows this. So they try to guess pitches. And before you know it they are guessing offspeed and can’t hit the heat that TTB is made for. Been there done that.
Kid went 0-4 in HS championship game. Struck out 4 times on offspeed. That summer couldn’t touch a kid with a decent offspeed pitch. 3-25 in pgf natls. That was enough for me to learn more. At the lower levels your good. Keep climbing. You will peak at 16s. Downward spiral from there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA