Feedback wanted " 15 y.o - form at plant"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I just did a little experiment trying to keep everything equal except foot plant angle and I could see exactly what Hal was talking about. I don't know if it will cure our DDs ills but I noticed a definite affect on the right to left pitch location. Could be in my head but I can't wait to try this with DD and see if it affects her inside low misses when we plant at 45 vs. 70 or greater. Thanks Hal.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Smoked sausage dog and Diet cola at the park and we'll call it even. :)

I may be cheap, but I aint free!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Guys, sorry my eyes must be too old to see the plant angle issue. It looks like a split between straight ahead and completely sideways to me.

I do see foot movement after the ball is gone. Is that what you are talking about? I'm probably going to have to see about getting better video.

Jul 17, 2012
Guys, sorry my eyes must be too old to see the plant angle issue. It looks like a split between straight ahead and completely sideways to me.

I do see foot movement after the ball is gone. Is that what you are talking about? I'm probably going to have to see about getting better video.
Her foot plant looks like it's landing at 10 O'Clock, then she hops to the 11 O'Clock position after release. I'm not well versed on the consequences of that variance other than feeling for myself that there is added stress on the knee, since it doesn't bend in a manner to absorb the shock of the forward drive at that angle....and since the knee can't absorb that energy....the lower back will.

Someone else mentioned this as well, but it looks like she blows right past, or through the whip point. I can't see where she ever decelerates the upper arm to transfer the energy to the lower arm...and ultimately the ball. I think she's missing out on quite a few MPH there. Once again...my observation. Her Arm circle is lightning fast. Get her to feel the whipping motion....In my experience, that can only happen if the upper arm slows to a near stop against her side, while the lower arm swings forward.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
well...it's anecdotal, but I had DD play with foot angle and I swear it helped her hit spots. She was more in control than I have seen in a long time. She normally CAN NOT hit outside low but today she could get to that spot pretty well. She missed far more rarely inside as well. I'm not sold yet because there is so much day to day variation but she noticed the improved control. We'll keep experimenting and keeping a close eye on this mechanic and see what we find. So far Hal has one sausage and diet soda coming to him.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Thanks for the kind words JJ. The angle of the landing foot is no secret. One of the first chapters of my first book in1999 was entitled "Watch the angle of the stride foot". It told of all the problems to expect if the OPPOSING pitcher was landing at 90 degrees or cloe to it. RH pitcher nailing RH batters on the ankles was at the top of the list.

I remember a 12u game. Told the coach of my favorite team to have lots of ice and plastic bags handy as this pitcher was gonna nail em hard. Boy did she. Nailed the first 5 batters in the ankle. One of them was our catcher, swelled up and she was out for the rest of that (Final) day. Ump told the other coach to pull her. He did.

Seen a hanbdful of pitchers taken out of the game with knee injury. Seen more than that barely walking off the field because of it.

It can really hurt ya.

Jul 14, 2008
I'm sorry..........Why are we focusing on this young ladies plant foot angle as if there is something wrong? Is it because Skinner said her stride foot angle is exaggerated?

With the stride foot coming down at the exaggerrated angle, that is exactly what is happening.

Then he went off like she has major problems with speed and control because of it?.........From looking at a side view of a pitch into a net right in front of her???.........

So let me get this straight.........He made up something about this kid's stride foot landing angle so he could pitch a chapter in his book when the OP simply asked about his DD's "FORM" at plant............

Since no one answered the question, and instead heard about how important Hal's book is again.....I will comment on the OP's original question.........

Abbygale.........Your DD's FORM is outstanding at plant..........Her stride foot is at 45 degrees......Her posture is excellent. Her throwing arm angle is superb. She has no swim.........And you don't need Hal's book...........

r76erp.gif

She has a few other issues upstream that we will discuss via PM/Email that will help her continue to develop........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
It was actually me that took it off topic, I saw Hals 45 degree angle suggestion and did some work with my DD (who actually does not land consistently at 45) and reported it back here just for general info. to the forum since it helped so much. I've seen it suggested many times in various posts by you and Hal and your famous 45 open vs closed kerfuffle but it was never top on my list to monitor it because we had other issues to address, for whatever reason, it clicked yesterday and gave really good results for me. So it doesn't apply to this girl but it does seem to help.

What I found was that it improved DDs accuracy and help reduce the inside low miss. It also helped her hit the outside low corner. is this your experience with the result of getting this mechanic fixed as well? or is it just knee stress as the reason you recommend it?

Mar 6, 2013
This is a danger of getting opinions on open board. Classic example is 45 degrees issue. There are absolutely no two athletes are same. Same way saying foot has to land at absolute 45 degrees just meaningless.
Many athletes has foot turned inward or outward. Without knowing how their foot and telling every one must land at 45 is moronic in my opinion. take top 10 pitchers and watch their landing. they land anywhere from 30 to 90.
So please don't generalize or try to replicate without knowing individual athletes physical shape. The cookie cutter simply wont work.
Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish