video clip feedback wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2012
Here is a video clip of my 14yo DD (turned 14 in June, will start 9th grade this fall). I included slow motion but I don't have a second angle from behind her.

All three pitches are (supposed to be) her fastball.
A couple of things I see.

1.) She's too far forward at the release. We know that one, and she's been working on it but it still looks to me like she needs to be taller at the release.

2) she seems to be turning her wrist and hand over as she comes through the release point. instead of pushing straight through. Her ball has more of a 2:00 - 10:00 spin instead of 12:00-6:00.

3) She's turning her right foot just as she drives off the pitching rubber.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these. Any other observations and suggestions for corrections would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Robin

Pitching 001 - YouTube

Vidcaps attached - sorry for the quality, I have an old Sony Digital 8 video camera.pitching 1200.jpgpitching 0900.jpgpitching 0600.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You have nailed a lot of things that she can be working on. One that is an easy fix, that jumps out at me, is her presentation or lack of it. It looks like she never comes set, with the hands together. Now, some coaches and umpires insist on it, while others don't. But she does need to be getting her grip in the glove and act like she is taking a signal. I have my pitchers breath and exhale, at this point. I think that she may have come together briefly with her hands and then, touched again, during one of those clips, too. She can't touch twice. Once the hands separate she must pitch.

She needs to stay open, also, and not slam the hips closed as is pictured in #3.

Just some basic work, and she will be quite happy, I think.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Hey, at least you have a general idea of what needs to be worked on. That's a plus.

Yes, too far forward at release. Finch and your DD at same position in delivery.

9e39bbbc35b1c63e66870fa56e592c14.jpg
[/IMG]
ffd7df79cbd1cd25f31cd2057f42bd88.jpg
[/IMG]

I used a knee drill for a young pitcher who had the "heavy head" leaning forward. Gives them an idea of where the trunk should be and how it feels at release. Then we stood up going through wind up and delivery slowly until she "gets" it. She was 11, took her about an hour to adjust pretty good.

edb56288918abd6e06fecdb1ff462c37.jpg
[/IMG]

Agreeing with Amy, I'm sorry but I really don't like the herky jerky pre motion. She pushes everything forward and then "half way" pulls back and then delivers. I'd suggest a slower "flowing" pre motion, and that also might help your forward ness.

Just my 2 pennies.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
2) she seems to be turning her wrist and hand over as she comes through the release point. instead of pushing straight through. Her ball has more of a 2:00 - 10:00 spin instead of 12:00-6:00.

Your correct that she is turning her wrist over. However, this is not wrong. She is at the beginning stages of throwing with "internal rotation". The hand should rotate counter-clockwise (for a right hander, from the point of view of the pitcher) at release. There is a thread called 'IR in the classroom" which you should review.

Jul 17, 2012
Here is a video clip of my 14yo DD (turned 14 in June, will start 9th grade this fall). I included slow motion but I don't have a second angle from behind her.

All three pitches are (supposed to be) her fastball.
A couple of things I see.

1.) She's too far forward at the release. We know that one, and she's been working on it but it still looks to me like she needs to be taller at the release.

3) She's turning her right foot just as she drives off the pitching rubber.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these. Any other observations and suggestions for corrections would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Robin

Pitching 001 - YouTube

Vidcaps attached - sorry for the quality, I have an old Sony Digital 8 video camera.View attachment 2343View attachment 2344View attachment 2345
My daughter is just starting out (4 lessons in), and it's funny, point 1 and 3 are big talking points of her instructor. I actually came up with a few things to try and help her, by reinforcing what she is taught at her lessons. I built a wood pitching plate and scrwewed a small block of 4x4 to it right in the middle. She sets up with the inside of her right foot just against the right side of the block and it prevents her foot from turning until after she's driven off the rubber. As for the forwad lean, have her drive off the mound as hard as she can for a couple pitches. Then I hold a broomstick at eye height of her finish, 6 inches or so BEHIND where she finishes leaning forward. My DD was really timid and tried to avoid the broomstick by driving off softer and not getting to the stick. Keep convincing her to drive off hard and stay behind the stick. IT WORKS!! Start without a ball and without the pitching motion. I was lucky enough to catch this early before the habit was too deeply engrained in her motion, so it was a quick fix. Depending on how long your DD has been pitching, it's likely you'll have to take a few steps backward with velocity and accuracy until she gets used to the new motion since she'll undoubetdly feel uncomfortable with the new body positions.

Jul 16, 2012
Y There is a thread called 'IR in the classroom" which you should review.

Thanks! That is very enlightening and something I've never heard before! In fact all of her coaches (including me) have been trying to correct this, or at least correct her spin by getting her to snap directly behind the ball. I have lots of questions but I haven't had a chance to study the post in depth so I'll hold my questions until then!

Jul 16, 2012
I built a wood pitching plate and scrwewed a small block of 4x4 to it right in the middle. She sets up with the inside of her right foot just against the right side of the block and it prevents her foot from turning until after she's driven off the rubber. As for the forwad lean, have her drive off the mound as hard as she can for a couple pitches. Then I hold a broomstick at eye height of her finish, 6 inches or so BEHIND where she finishes leaning forward.

I feel like I saw a device advertised that was an aluminum framework that fit over the pitching rubber that was just wide enough for the pitchers foot to fit inside. I extended a little beyond her foot and was open in the front. With a proper straight forward drive the pitcher's foot never touches the frame but if she turns it too soon it knocks the frame over. I can't find where I saw that but I think
I could build one out of 1x4s. I like the broom stick idea although I think I'll try a foam swimming noodle, just in case she hits it.

Jul 16, 2012
I used a knee drill for a young pitcher who had the "heavy head" leaning forward. Gives them an idea of where the trunk should be and how it feels at release. Then we stood up going through wind up and delivery slowly until she "gets" it. She was 11, took her about an hour to adjust pretty good.

Agreeing with Amy, I'm sorry but I really don't like the herky jerky pre motion. She pushes everything forward and then "half way" pulls back and then delivers. I'd suggest a slower "flowing" pre motion, and that also might help your forward ness.

Just my 2 pennies.

Thanks, we'll do this drill and see if it helps! I don't like her pre motion either, and I don't know where it came from, it's totally changed in the last few months. I do know the starting pitcher on her travel team was trying to get DD to change her old motion to the one she used. I told her not to worry about it, her old motion was fine, but I think she tried to incorporate it. If that's it then the result isn't either motion, but something in between. This clip is from before travel season when she worked with a visiting pitching coach. I don't know that she needs to go as high as she is here, but the motion is definitely much smoother.

Pitching clip 1 - YouTube

Jul 16, 2012
She needs to stay open, also, and not slam the hips closed as is pictured in #3.

Just some basic work, and she will be quite happy, I think.

Yes, she was taught early on to close her hips completely as she came through. We've been working on that one, but after you pointed that out I see that there is still some of that remaining in her motion.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
I feel like I saw a device advertised that was an aluminum framework that fit over the pitching rubber that was just wide enough for the pitchers foot to fit inside. I extended a little beyond her foot and was open in the front. With a proper straight forward drive the pitcher's foot never touches the frame but if she turns it too soon it knocks the frame over. I can't find where I saw that but I think
I could build one out of 1x4s. I like the broom stick idea although I think I'll try a foam swimming noodle, just in case she hits it.

Pitcher's Dream Store - Power Push

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy