Video Clip - 14 Year Old - feedback wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
benny, why not post for us to see? I for one would like to see your philosophy of the 9 steps as it would be interesting to see how that compares to the instruction my DD is receiving. She's had 6 sessions with her instructor, and in my opinion, she's doing pretty well with what she's been taught. I like seeing what other instructors teach. It gives me things to look at that may help me understand the learning curve for a new pitcher. If there's one thing I've learned on here, it is that there really is no ONE RIGHT WAY to teach a young girl how to pitch, so sharing that information may end up being helpful to many of us.

Dec 26, 2009
Thanks Carly for the feedback. Her pitching coach has said her forward position is probably the largest thing to work on but didn't really tie it with the leg drive (which her coach also said needs to improve). What you say makes sense, her coach just didn't tie the two together. Now to figure out good drills to focus on this. Will get her coaches thoughts on drills, what are yours?

Benny and NT - I appreciate your comments, however would you mid taking your back and forth banter into the PM realm. I am really looking for feedback on areas to work on in comparison to what I am hearing from her coach.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, the best drill for keeping the weight back is a walk-through where she is to keep her right foot off the ground after she throws. She is to keep the right foot up until the catcher returns the ball to her. It is a pretty simple drill, but it allows a pitcher to feel how off balance she is when she throws. You really don't need to tell her anything, she'll start figuring out how to keep the weight back.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thanks Carly for the feedback. Her pitching coach has said her forward position is probably the largest thing to work on but didn't really tie it with the leg drive (which her coach also said needs to improve). What you say makes sense, her coach just didn't tie the two together. Now to figure out good drills to focus on this. Will get her coaches thoughts on drills, what are yours?

Benny and NT - I appreciate your comments, however would you mid taking your back and forth banter into the PM realm. I am really looking for feedback on areas to work on in comparison to what I am hearing from her coach.

Did you like my list builder & video? OK then I'll tell you how I would approach... Simple as having her hold her glove pointed to the ump until she hears the bat crack or he says strike. Thats up to shoulder height.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Okay b dad, let me tell you what I see, your dd has to much premotion ,her foot turns some what at the beginning off of the pitchers plate. Her mech. are kind of all over the place. Her arm is to straight looks locked out in the elbow. She lands with her stride foot a little to straight, needs to be at 45 degrees on a line straight to the catcher. Her foot looks like it drags on its side, needs to get up on her toes with that, show the catcher her shoe strings, have her knee follower her arm towards the catcher, not behind her. This needs to happen all on a straight line to the Catcher. Go look at Bill Hillhouse on YouTube.

Dec 26, 2009
Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. The premotion and turn of her pivot foot are being addressed (low hanging fruit).

Sluggers, We will try the walk through to balanced finish with her drag foot up. I can see how that should work to get her to keep her weight back so she doesn't lean forward. BTW, no need for 12 step program, don't have any money to spend on that vice.

PC, Saw the video but I missed the list builder. What are you talking about? Also, we have tried to keep the glove up with her coach, that never seemed to register/work for her.

NT, Lots of reinforcement of what she needs to work on, thanks for your comments. The thought of showing the catcher her shoe laces might work for her.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
PC, Saw the video but I missed the list builder. What are you talking about? Also, we have tried to keep the glove up with her coach, that never seemed to register/work for her.

List builder... I meant adding locking her elbow to your list. You mentioned the elbow, I surmised it is locked, because she is pulling it back past her waist, and that is acting as a counter balance negating the needed explosion off the rubber. I also seen that she is not getting any push with the leap foot because she is not just bumping her toe against it. She has her toe on it. That means she is not taking advantage of the width of the rubber.

Throwing the ball into the glove is good for a starting point for not slapping the leg, and getting the shoulder pointed to the target. But you got to grow past the need for that fast. The over arching issue, is not only will holding it up keep her shoulder pointed, but it is self defense from a come-backer, and it is the proper position for fielding the position. Here is how I make this point with my DD.

warm ups_FastBack - YouTube

It is not going to register in a couple lessons... it is going to take throwing the ball 10,000 times like once you can decide the proper process (talent code) to paint the paths layers. Continuley changing fundamentals constipates the process. Perfect Practice makes Permanent. First 2000 in slow -mo. Here is where you can start to pick up 500 reps a day. You can work your need to get the foot turned to a 45 degree. Then ask that she stop throwing into the glove, but hold it up and throw it into the riser on the stairs. Then challenge her to target it so that it bounces back to her glove, and catch it. That will be easier than chancing the ball around the room, and will be faster than the speed of game. Thats a sock ball. The best way to do slow mo is in a pool , with water up to where you want the glove to finish. She pulls the glove hands up out of the water, and continues the the pitch, this will enforce the slo-mo reps, and make a way to also get everything else perfect. Like not locking the elbow before going back into the water. Pointing the ball to 3rd, and finishing across the chest. Pulling the knee up,like she is going to do a snap kick, to keep the tongue to target. Then get to where she does it with eyes closed...This will paint much thicker layers myelin. I know the pool is kinda out there, put I think you can visualize how to keep glove up...and that it can be taught.

Stairs - YouTube

Tongues to target. Get both pointing. The one on her cleats, and the one in her mouth. I also noticed a right to left, then back to right moving of the head. Best way for her to get some more of the 10,000 reps, and self correct is to use the mirror, and video. In slo-mo with out a ball, then with a ball. These are not the finish product, but I let DD go, then ask her is she is ready to record....then she watches, and ajusts without much input from me. This is the key.

Pitching in the House. - YouTube

This is not something I invented, and can be found online by others,and even in this thread... I am only showing my interpretation of and my applications of these processes. I not posting them to debate another persons adaptation to them, but only to show my creative approach for teaching , using video as a common principle that we (OP) agree with, evidenced by your OP of one. Anyothers who disagree, get your own daughter, and video camera.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy