Feedback wanted " 15 y.o - form at plant"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
OP,

Her plant looks really good! 6' tall... wow! That's awesome. Nice shop, too! At fitst glance it looked like a set taken from a sci-fi movie...

It's difficult to see from the angle, but she might be closing a little hard with the shoulder, which appears to cause her elbow to fly out a bit, and also appears to cause a twist in her stride foot after release... which might be some of the reason for the other comments. If this is the case, it could lead to injury. Hope that never happens...

She looks great and should be proud of her accomplishments.

Jul 14, 2008
Squeeze.......The stride foot angle has several important affects on the delivery motion as a whole, not the least of which is knee stability, and blocking for kinematic transfer........The quick answer to your question is yes........Stride foot direction can cause a low/inside miss.......Changing the angle stride foot can assist in the direction of the pitch. However, this is a topic for a NEW THREAD.........This is NOT a topic for this thread.......

And I'll add that 45 degrees is SUBJECTIVE at best.........Some are more open........Some are more closed........FOR A THOUSAND DIFFERENT REASONS........Simply put.........STRAIGHT AHEAD IS BAD for the knee........90 DEGREES is BAD for the knee........Because of stability..........

The topic of THIS thread is FORM AT PLANT..........It's really nice that you threw yourself under the bus for Skinner........But the fact is Skinner assessed the young lady as having an "exaggerated angle" at plant, and told the OP he needed to "fix it" or his DD was doomed to hit kids in the ankles for the rest of her life.....Backing it up with horror stories about kids limping off the field in pain because of it..........Then he plugged his book........Again..........

What do you guys think of this EXAGGERATED ANGLE AT PLANT? How many kids has she nailed because of it?

2q8d2z9.gif

Gimme a break..........

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
This is a danger of getting opinions on open board. Classic example is 45 degrees issue. There are absolutely no two athletes are same. Same way saying foot has to land at absolute 45 degrees just meaningless.
Many athletes has foot turned inward or outward. Without knowing how their foot and telling every one must land at 45 is moronic in my opinion. take top 10 pitchers and watch their landing. they land anywhere from 30 to 90.
So please don't generalize or try to replicate without knowing individual athletes physical shape. The cookie cutter simply wont work.
Just my 2 cents.

I am pretty confident no one is blindly following the advice they get on the board. I think we all pretty much take advice gathered and try it out and see if it works to better understand the entire motion. Saying no two athletes are the same is a cop out, its true, but ALL top athletes are SIMILAR. it is the similarities we try to understand and emulate, while allowing for individual style etc. but thanks for the condescending advice anyway.

Jul 14, 2008
As far as the little "pop" at the end of the finish.........Well, I would worry much about that at this point...........

2jv76a.gif

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Squeeze.......The stride foot angle has several important affects on the delivery motion as a whole, not the least of which is knee stability, and blocking for kinematic transfer........The quick answer to your question is yes........Stride foot direction can cause a low/inside miss.......Changing the angle stride foot can assist in the direction of the pitch. However, this is a topic for a NEW THREAD.........This is NOT a topic for this thread.......

Ha...I knew you'd call me out for the hijack (which by the way is not the worst I've seen...) but back to your regularly scheduled programming...

To the OP. I think she looks great and hope my DD looks something like this when she is that age. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
eastcoast,
When you get a chance, can you let me know which pitcher you're thinking of the lands at 90? I'm trying to remember any elite pitcher who plants at less than 45 and vaguely recall seeing someone during this year's WCWS, but can't remember who it was. My impression is that the top few are actually closer to 0-20 degrees (Ueno, Abbott, Ricketts.)

Thanks,
Ken

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
On a side note, Monica doesn't have to work on the front side of her circle a lot. ;) The fix isn't ingrained yet.

When Lauren saw the video, she said front side of the arm circle sucked, followed by her shoulder didn't catch the whip quick enough and her arm started outrunning her. Thoughts?

I think the comp clip really shows Monica catching and maintaining the whip while Lauren doesn't.

To all the posters who like the shop, thanks. Best part is that the tunnel raises and lowers from the ceiling using an electric drill and some Red Green thinking.

And thanks again for analyzing her.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Sorry this isn't a more colerful post, but I'd say her plant foot angle is as good as it needs to be. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy