Video Clip - 14 Year Old - feedback wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2009
Looking for some feedback on my DD. She is 14 years old. I posted three fastball pitches with a slow motion view of each right after the regular speed.

14 year old pitcher - YouTube

Some things I know that we see (some of which we are working on, some of which we'll save for later):
1) Lots of wasted motion at the start (taking ball above/behind head)
2) Turns push foot sideways during backswing (just started fixing this, kinda easy to fix)
3) Her arm seems like it should be bent at the elbow a little more
4) Her left leg lands almost locked
5) She is a little forward at release that continues to way forward after
6) Her arm finish is very high
7) Her right leg/drag foot finishes too far from her left leg
8) For some reason her right shoulder seems to come up high after release.

What do you see? I'm curious about feedback on how well she does with internal rotation.

Anyone have any drills to keep her back and eliminate the high finish? I think those are the highest priority things to focus on, what do you think?

Jun 24, 2009
Looking for some feedback on my DD. She is 14 years old. I posted three fastball pitches with a slow motion view of each right after the regular speed.

14 year old pitcher - YouTube

Some things I know that we see (some of which we are working on, some of which we'll save for later):
1) Lots of wasted motion at the start (taking ball above/behind head)
2) Turns push foot sideways during backswing (just started fixing this, kinda easy to fix)
3) Her arm seems like it should be bent at the elbow a little more
4) Her left leg lands almost locked
5) She is a little forward at release that continues to way forward after
6) Her arm finish is very high
7) Her right leg/drag foot finishes too far from her left leg
8) For some reason her right shoulder seems to come up high after release.

What do you see? I'm curious about feedback on how well she does with internal rotation.

Anyone have any drills to keep her back and eliminate the high finish? I think those are the highest priority things to focus on, what do you think?
I am only replying to the wasted motion part of your post. This is my DD a little over a year ago. She is 14 also.
100 0210 iPhone cell - YouTube

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Wild guess. Arm finish is high due to her not engaging her core, which is not giving the shoulder something to work with/against.

On another note: Jolene Henderson looks similar to your daughter. I like watching Jolene pitch.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
My dd took the ball over her head in the pre-motion, but yours goes even further. My DD ruined her shoulder by 16/17, because she was engaging the shoulder twice during each pitch. So, she might throw 100 pitches, but the shoulder had done that extra motion an additional 100 times.

I would like to see your DD "more smooth." Which includes most of what you mentioned. Have her watch and listen to Bill Hillhouse. His lessons are on Youtube.

Dec 26, 2009
Thanks Amy. I figured it was a lot of extra motion but never really thought about the extra rotation and its effect on the shoulder. By the time she is taking it back and bringing it forward, plus her extra rotation after finishing, she is probably moving her arm an extra 360 degrees that is not being productive. The premotion is simple to deal with, she can just watch some other pitchers and pick one out she can easily adapt. The high finish is more of a challenge to figure out how to eliminate. I'm looking for any advice on tips or drills to help.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
my dd did the big pre motion bringing the hands up high. It literally took 5 minutes to get rid of. Her HC and I were talking at his barn about it and he said to her. Try pitching without that extra business at the beginning, and after about 15 pitches it was never to be seen again.

She will now, just take her hands together and push them straight out, she still swings her throwing arm back but its from about waist high instead of starting from over her head.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I can see that elbow locking when she is throwing the arm back.... might want to add unlock to the list... Put an elbow wrap on it until she stops. It will make her arm sweat, so she should get rid of that little flaw pretty quick. Not as though I have it all down. I can see form your list, your going to get this right.... Here is my DD early in the transition, it is almost ??? a year old, we were coming from the "Stretch,Swim & Slap School... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__XLwQ3t8Y

Here it is in slow mo....Not saying it totally right, but is shows an attempt to be rid of all pre-motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwz7EHbfMQs

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
I have been teaching pitching for a long time. what i see is a timing problem. meaning this, she has her hip closing before hand comes through. causing her to go around the hip instead of through the hip. to fix this she needs to frame a lot more pitches off the knee then get up and use k or x drill. meaning human x or k in stride position. this helps for proper timing. We also use alignment drills for this. as for her circle it could use some work also. frame the pitch off the knee is done for this also.1/4 frame: thumb on bottom find ring finger (ring,target toss) 1/2 frame: thumb on outside, find your ring, top and drop. 3/4: thumb on inside, eyes/ears location,through the sight. full frame: Hold ball loosely, 4 seam grip, control with fingers, thumb on top @ 6:00.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA