Feedback wanted " 15 y.o - form at plant"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
You are making yourself out to be even more uninformed, closed minded, untruthful and jealous.

Hal - I would be careful not to label BM like the above. Personally his many posts on IR and pitching mechanics in general have really opened my eyes to the fact that most pitching instructors teach mechanics that are wrong and counter productive. And frankly when you stated some time ago that you have seen a pitched ball stop in mid-air and change directions, in my mind your credibility became very questionable at best.

Abbygale - I think your DD has some very good mechanics and her foot plant angle seems within an acceptable level. Work on the arm whip and resist the stride leg (push back) and I'm sure her velocity will increase.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
RT,

Ya gotta remember, I have 52 years of seeing pitchers at all kinds of levels do thing that defy the laws of physics and defy imagination.

I once saw a man throw the most incredible dropball I have ever seen. It was thrown quite fast, started at ther hip and went inm at head high to a 6 foot batter. At about 3 or 4 feet in front of the batter it crash divedf through the strike zone and hit the back edge of the plate for a strike. It would not have surprised me if it had been thrown deaad slow, it wasnt, it was thrown very fast.

I have seen a 10yo throw a cutter INDOORS, NO WIND, and that pitch went halfway to the batter and hung a sharp right turn at around 90 degrees. She practiced it but could only use it in games against lefty hitters because of batter safety.

I once saw a pop up in a 12u game that came down near 2nd base. Three infielders converged but nobody caught it. The ball had a tremendous spin (Apperently) as it hit the dirt between the fielders and shot out like a bullet between their legs and the next hop it was a in foul territory between home and 1st.

And, yes, I saw a riseball come in very fast, slow down, stop in mid air, hiss for half a second or so and go straight up.

I have seen all kinds of stuff nobody could explain.

His holiness does not impress me. He only sees what bits and pieces he knows. Then he posts a video of a college pitcher doing it just as wrong or badly or unsafely as the young pitcher in question and says Hey, she's doing it just like whoever. Yup, thats right there ARE college pitchers out there with awful mechanics.

He can PM folks and tell them whatever he wants I DONT CARE.

He is trying to make a name for himself just like those pitching instructors fresh out of college I have worked next to. They would last 6 months or so and fade away into oblivion. Maybe I put a dent in his claim to fame. Oh well.

Mar 6, 2013
And, yes, I saw a riseball come in very fast, slow down, stop in mid air, hiss for half a second or so and go straight up.
This is the joke for now for my 5 year old boy !!. Hope you are just joking. If not I see serious issue there :)

May 10, 2010
The main thin I have learned In softball is that there are no absolutes.
Everyone has a belief and because I do not agree all the time does not make the belief wrong.
I think the young lady is pretty darn awesome. My dd turns her foot when she pushes. Done everything under the sun to correct and 10 yrs latter she still does it. It is what it is and we have to work with what she does. I would tell the young lady in the video to get more aggressive and let it fly. There are many moving parts pitching and not all of them will be perfect every pitch. Inside and out can be achieved by where the plant foot is planted more than the degree of the foot.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The more the angle of the stride foot goes PAST 45 degrees, the more it locks out the knee and the more sressful it is on the soft tissues of the knee. If she tries to get a faster more aggressive stride, she could get hurt landing at that angle of the stride foot.

But please, dont belive this crazy pitching instructor. TRY IT YOURSELF AND SEE IF IT FEELS RIGHT, COMFORTABLE AND SAFE. but dont blame me if your knee blows out

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Well it's obvious Lauren only has three choices now:

a) Keep going

b) Amputation

c) Tether ball

Evidently she can only have any combo of 2 out of 3. :D:D:D

Jul 14, 2008
I'll take "a" for 1000 Abby.........

Now that we've established this much:

Your DD's FORM is outstanding at plant..........Her stride foot IS basically at 45 degrees......Her posture is excellent. Her throwing arm angle is superb. She has no swim.........And you don't need Hal's book........I'd like to take you down "memory lane" we can work on some of the "upstream" things that will help her improve......

You joined in on a thread almost 2 years ago where I discussed the importance of "overlapping the load" to develop explosive power from the drive off the rubber..........Remember?

Early Overlap

Take a look at this clip.........Go read the post.........Then come back and look at the clip again.......

29ve99j.gif

Just to show you I'm not singling out Abbott........Here's a comp with a much shorter arm swing then Abbotts.......But has same load overlap......

2w6trvr.gif

And one more high level pitcher with healthy load overlap.......

2jv76a.jpg

Do you know why these pitchers can get such a late start and still catch your DD at release?.........

Jul 17, 2012
Do you know why these pitchers can get such a late start and still catch your DD at release?.........

Me...me....pick me..... LoL. I have a guess. And I have NO IDEA whether it's relevant. The model pitchers have less of a an upward leap than the subject.... they drive straight to the target with no elevation.... all the energy is directed outward toward the target. The upward leap in my opinion creates more "hang time" allowing the arm circle to get ahead of the foreward drive. No knowledge here....just a common sense guess....lol

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
It's very, very obvious with the clips. I remember that thread and having Lauren try the double swingback to try and get the body moving ahead of the arm and while hilarious, it didn't work so well for her. I know one of the things she does will be to slow her arm down to hit her timing on the backside but that goes against the grain I think.

She hears that the further out she drives, the slower her arm needs to be for timing. That makes sense, but is kind of a one step back process to me. I know she can make her arm circle faster but I don't know a simple way/drill to get her to work thru the feeling of awkwardness. She is driving out right at 6' currently.

Her body needs to leave ahead of her arm and I don't have any idea on methods that work.

Got a bat drill version for this?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Would having her hold her arm at the top of her backswing while she does the lean forward drill be a step in the right direction? I feel panicked when I try it.

The up together- down together is so comfortable for timing the backside, but I am seeing how tough it can be to mesh two levers of different lengths running at different speeds. Currently, it is like Lauren's shoulder is a lever and gear with 6 over sized teeth, which has no problem engaging without grinding at plant, and now she needs to turn that into a gear with 30 smaller and tighter teeth, yet still hit the synch point at the required point. I hope that makes sense.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish