video clip feedback wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Goingdeep, I have been very careful with what my words are. I'm not wanting to be hostile or bash. I was only trying to "right the wrong" that was out there about people's misinformation. Unfortunately there is apparently no way to do that without it sounding like I dislike Mr Parker or have an issue with him. I do not.

CG

Yes you have been very careful with your words. I have too.

"Right the wrong". I'm just wanting to make sure what I've heard is correct. I think the 3rd parties are the ones with the wrong information and TALL stories. Seems he did work with Finch, Osterman, Fernandez by their own admission and along with video proof in his DVD's. ( when they were younger )

I can't find any proof of Parker claiming "he" found the pitchers above, solely responsible for development and production of "said" pitchers.

I have found the 3rd parties "claiming" he developed Fernandez in her later teens. Like persons marketing his clinics, seem to be using that information. ( more of an eye catcher and ticket seller ) Again, this is not Parker or his website marketing these claims, these are claims by the "hosting" facility of the clinic event in various states.

Northeast Mississippi Community College -- Tiger Sports
Parker helped create one of the United States dynamic pitching duos early in his career when he helped Lisa Fernandez and DeeDee Weiman with their fundamentals.

Fastpitch Softball Pitching Resources

Ernie Parker Videos - Ernie Parker is a well respected pitching guru. I, personally, went to an Ernie Parker clinic when I was growing up which is why he is one of the resources I recommend. Ernie's website has some cool video clips that you can take a look at including one of Cat Osterman demonstrating a rise ball drill. Lisa Fernandez and Jennie Finch are among the softball greats that once learned from Ernie so you know he's got valuable information to share.
( selling DVD's next to our beloved Hillhouse )

Youth Fastpitch Softball - Step Progression

There are many different opinions as to when to start teaching a young pitcher breaking pitches. It's my belief that it's an individual thing. Some coaches don't believe you should teach a pitcher any breaking pitches before they're 14 or 15 years old. Some others think you shouldn't start teaching a new pitch during the season. I'll give you my opinion based on my experience.

As I said before, it's an individual thing, for example, Do you think an 8 year old is old enough to be throwing a drop, a curve and a back hand change? I have an 8-year-old that's throwing all those pitches. She is also learning the rotation for the rise. Have all my 8-year-olds been able to do this? No, they haven't. It's an individual thing.

I never pay attention to what part of the season it is, as to when I start teaching a new pitch. I start it when I think they're ready.

Do I think it will mess up their other pitches? It shouldn't if their mechanics are sound on their other pitches.
This brings up an age-old question. Which do you teach first, speed or control? The answer is neither. You teach mechanics, then speed, if they have good mechanics, they will have control.
I think by age 14, they should have a drop, change up and either a curve or screwball. By the time they're 16 they should have added a rise, or be working on it.

Notice I didn't mention a fastball. I think fastball should only be thrown in practice after age 12. If you want to progress to upper levels, you should get away from the fastball as soon as possible.

It's interesting travelling around the country doing clinics. Sometimes a pitching coach will send his or her best students to my clinic. Sometimes their coaches tell them not to go. I welcome having a good pitching Instructor look at my pitchers. Maybe they can show them something that will work better than what I have shown them. I certainly don't think I know all there is to know about pitching. I'm still learning and hope to continue to learn.

Softball has been very good to me; it has taken me to Australia, China, Spain, Holland, Italy, Peru, Canada, France and Germany. I'm telling you this in case some of you might want to get into doing Pitching Instruction.

The methods shown in my videos are the same methods that developed High School All Americans, ASA All Americans, Collegiate All Americans and an Olympic Pitcher among many other awards. They aren't the only styles of pitching, but they're the ones that have worked best for me.

Best of Luck to all of you.
Ernie Parker

This is about as humble as the man talks one on one. I'm sure there are many TALL tales out about Parker, I just want people to realize the fact that he has been very involved and inspirational in the game we all enjoy.

Would I be correct to compare a younger Parker to Mr Hillhouse of today as far as being able to successfully instruct pitchers? Will Mr Hillhouse have the honor to be involved in some of our sports best pitchers in the future, I sure hope so. But I also hope the next generation does not tarnish the great things Bill does just because he is 75 years old, but remember his contributions to softball.

Jun 13, 2009
Well said Goingdeep.

Maybe it's just a pet peeve of mine but I still disagree with you about part of what you said. But lets just leave it there. To keep going with this "debate" would certainly make someone think I have a personal bone to pick, which I do not.

CG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA