video clip feedback wanted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Since this is only video of her practicing, dont know if this is the same motion she uses when pitching during a game. Once she is in position and has simulated taking a signal (with the hands separated) the hands must come together. Once they separate they cannot be brought together again. In the video, she separates, swings her hand back, brings it forward, touches her glove again, then does another back swing. This would be illegal.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks, we'll do this drill and see if it helps! I don't like her pre motion either, and I don't know where it came from, it's totally changed in the last few months. I do know the starting pitcher on her travel team was trying to get DD to change her old motion to the one she used. I told her not to worry about it, her old motion was fine, but I think she tried to incorporate it. If that's it then the result isn't either motion, but something in between. This clip is from before travel season when she worked with a visiting pitching coach. I don't know that she needs to go as high as she is here, but the motion is definitely much smoother.

Pitching clip 1 - YouTube

Pitchers as curious creatures sometimes "pick up" others motions or delivery, or parts of them. Especially if the other pitcher is doing well in games. They think, "it's working for ________ maybe I ought to try that". But too often the physical body factors are not the same, and pitchers have to find the "recipe" that works for them as the individual.

I do like this delivery much better than the other. A good pitcher has a smooth.....almost hypnotic wind up, then an explosion of power.

Here is a quick video of Ernie Parker using the knee drill for strengthening and speed and gives you a good idea of how to do it. Stay tall.
He gives lesson where we live and also uses the knee drill for balance/leaning problems. He is the real deal, and although DD has never taken a lesson from him, I have had the pleasure coaching a couple of his pitchers and talking for hours with him on my tailgate.

Ernie Parker
You can send him a video and he will tell you in detail as to what you need to do to fix any flaws. I think it's $20 or $30.

Oct 22, 2009
$55 for this?!? LoL. I'd go with the scrap of wood, most likely laying around somewhere in the garage for Free!!

I made one of these for my students, I call it the "push box", and some of the dad's just take a photo of it with their camera's and make them one as well.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Pitchers as curious creatures sometimes "pick up" others motions or delivery, or parts of them. Especially if the other pitcher is doing well in games. They think, "it's working for ________ maybe I ought to try that". But too often the physical body factors are not the same, and pitchers have to find the "recipe" that works for them as the individual.

I do like this delivery much better than the other. A good pitcher has a smooth.....almost hypnotic wind up, then an explosion of power.

Here is a quick video of Ernie Parker using the knee drill for strengthening and speed and gives you a good idea of how to do it. Stay tall.
He gives lesson where we live and also uses the knee drill for balance/leaning problems. He is the real deal, and although DD has never taken a lesson from him, I have had the pleasure coaching a couple of his pitchers and talking for hours with him on my tailgate.

Ernie Parker
You can send him a video and he will tell you in detail as to what you need to do to fix any flaws. I think it's $20 or $30.

Look at Ernie's slam the hip and hellow elbow early in video. Too funny. Knee drills are a waste of time. Not sure why the "Real Deal" does these kind of things.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Look at Ernie's slam the hip and hellow elbow early in video. Too funny. Knee drills are a waste of time. Not sure why the "Real Deal" does these kind of things.

What drills would you use to fix the OP lean?

Well we all have to take into account this video was originally on VHS. So how old do we think it is? If I'm not mistaking same video shows Finch at a young HS age. I'm sure his "lessons" have adapted over the years just as others have. Surely you're not suggesting someone with Parker's reputation and proven experience working with some of the best pitchers in the world ( that we use as models on this forum ) and "he is just wasting time doing these things"??

Anyone guess who these two are?
7d2771c4bd2bb7e4354ba0da4e0c6d4b.jpg
[/IMG]

Pretty good resume for someone who "does these kinds of things".

Ernie Parker has been coaching and giving pitching lessons for about 30 years.* He coached and worked with one team from California where he won 9 ASA National Championships at all levels.* During that time, he also taught pitchers from other travel teams who also won national championships.* He has also worked with All-Americans at many top universities including UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Florida State, Cal State Long Beach, Harvard, University of Tennessee, Cal State Fullerton, and many others.

Mr. Parker has instructed pitchers in places such as Peru, Canada, Taipai China, Mainland China (twice), Spain (three times), Holland (four times), Hawaii (8 times), Alaska (4 times), and Italy.

Student Accomplishments

High School All-Americans
ASA National Champions at All Levels
College All-Americans
College World Series Champions
Players in the Women's Professional Leagues
Women's ASA Champions
Women's World Champions
Olympic Gold Medalists (3 times) ( Note:* Lisa Fernandez pitched the championship game for all 3 gold medals)
As of June 2010, Ernie Parker has pitchers that he teaches at the following universities:

UCLA (College World Series Champions for 2010)
Arizona State
Notre Dame
Michigan (2)
Michigan State
Tennessee (1 currently and verbals for 2010 and 2011)
Illinois

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
$55 for this?!? LoL. I'd go with the scrap of wood, most likely laying around somewhere in the garage for Free!!

I agree... just providing the link... not endorsing it.

btw.. DD's pitching coach has one. It is made from a lightweight metal (aluminum?) and if she hits it it goes flying and makes a lot of noise.

I have also seen people do something similar by putting a softball on either side of the pivot foot... if she turns her foot the ball rolls away. Same idea for basically free.

Jun 13, 2009
What drills would you use to fix the OP lean?

Well we all have to take into account this video was originally on VHS. So how old do we think it is? If I'm not mistaking same video shows Finch at a young HS age. I'm sure his "lessons" have adapted over the years just as others have. Surely you're not suggesting someone with Parker's reputation and proven experience working with some of the best pitchers in the world ( that we use as models on this forum ) and "he is just wasting time doing these things"??

Anyone guess who these two are?
7d2771c4bd2bb7e4354ba0da4e0c6d4b.jpg
[/IMG]

Pretty good resume for someone who "does these kinds of things".

Ernie Parker has been coaching and giving pitching lessons for about 30 years.* He coached and worked with one team from California where he won 9 ASA National Championships at all levels.* During that time, he also taught pitchers from other travel teams who also won national championships.* He has also worked with All-Americans at many top universities including UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Michigan State, Florida State, Cal State Long Beach, Harvard, University of Tennessee, Cal State Fullerton, and many others.

Mr. Parker has instructed pitchers in places such as Peru, Canada, Taipai China, Mainland China (twice), Spain (three times), Holland (four times), Hawaii (8 times), Alaska (4 times), and Italy.

Student Accomplishments

High School All-Americans
ASA National Champions at All Levels
College All-Americans
College World Series Champions
Players in the Women's Professional Leagues
Women's ASA Champions
Women's World Champions
Olympic Gold Medalists (3 times) ( Note:* Lisa Fernandez pitched the championship game for all 3 gold medals)
As of June 2010, Ernie Parker has pitchers that he teaches at the following universities:

UCLA (College World Series Champions for 2010)
Arizona State
Notre Dame
Michigan (2)
Michigan State
Tennessee (1 currently and verbals for 2010 and 2011)
Illinois

Going, I don't want this to turn into a bashing of Mr Parker. But there's a lot of confusion about a few things. #1, he did not teach the "best in the world". He joined an organization in California when Fernandez was already 16 years old. Finch and others attended clinics of his, not their private coaches. And none of the pitchers that are "best in the world" do the things Mr Parker teaches in his videos. My DD's pitching coach has an even more extensive "international" resume than what is listed and he always jokes about it because he says it's meaningless. The ISF begs coaches to go overseas to work in places (again, according to our PC).

This is not meant to bash Mr Parker. I've been to his clinics before and he seems like a very nice man. But there's a lot of bad information out there about who his students actually are and who's just been to his clinics.

I am sure there's a lot of pitching coaches who could make similar claims on their resume's about having All Americans, etc. And many PC websites are almost entirely about how many students went to colleges and where. Our coach refuses to put that stuff on his site (which I always felt was a mistake on his part, from a marketing perspective) because he doesn't want to appear taking credit for others' hard work. I am NOT saying Mr Parker does that, I am only saying what our guy's belief is.

CG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish