Deciding on new bat for 10yr old daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
To many decisions to be made. In your opinion what is the best bat for her age and body type- Anderson Rockettech, Mizuno Fenzy, Miken Freak, Easton Synergy, Louisville Xeno. I have researched til I cant see anymore. My daughter is 5' tall and about 75lbs. Right now she is using a Louisville Zepher. This bat doesn't seem to have the pop it once had. However, She doesn't have much upper body strength, either. She is more of a put in play, beat it out type player. What ya think?

Apr 1, 2010
IMO the Miken Halo Light is a nice bat for a girl with a slight build. The older pink one is a -12 drop and the newer purple one is a -12.5 drop.

I really like a -10 drop bat, but maybe that's something she needs to work up to swinging...

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2012
I posted a similar question here the other day. I got a wide range of answers. The xeno is probably the hottest new bat out right now, but its a drop 10. The Miken rain had alot of real good reviews and a little cheaper. Its a drop 12. My DD is about the same size as yours. I went with the rain 30-18. I think it will let her get the bat around a little quicker against the faster pitching.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
My 10 yr old DD used a Zephyr and moved to a Halo Light (29"/16.5, 8yr DD is using Zephyr). A couple weeks ago I tried her on a 29/19 and it was like night and day. With no other changes she went from weak hits to smashes. Her mechanics were okay but the bat was too light and I deserve the blame. She's small 4'6", 65 lbs. Got her a great deal on a 30"/18.5oz Synge and she loves. Go as heavy as she can. I'll be looking to move mine to a 30/20 as soon as she can handle it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
About 1% of girls we faced hit with dd's distance last spring. She was prob 100 lbs then and swung a 30/18 rain. She is now about 5'5 125, and swings the lightest rocketech you can get (21oz) and a 21 oz xeno. She can easily swing a 28 oz bat and hits off the tee a couple times a week with it, and still prefers her 21 oz bats to swing with speed. No one else that I have or work with (11 and 12 yr olds) can swing the rocketech for crud, and that is her fav of the two.

I just dont follow the heavy as they can swing camp. I def dont follow the 10yr olds dont deserve a nice bat camp. When we are spending $1000s in fees and travel, it doesnt make sense to skimp on a bat.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
About 1% of girls we faced hit with dd's distance last spring. She was prob 100 lbs then and swung a 30/18 rain. She is now about 5'5 125, and swings the lightest rocketech you can get (21oz) and a 21 oz xeno. She can easily swing a 28 oz bat and hits off the tee a couple times a week with it, and still prefers her 21 oz bats to swing with speed. No one else that I have or work with (11 and 12 yr olds) can swing the rocketech for crud, and that is her fav of the two.

I just dont follow the heavy as they can swing camp. I def dont follow the 10yr olds dont deserve a nice bat camp. When we are spending $1000s in fees and travel, it doesnt make sense to skimp on a bat.

Agreed, but it also doesn't make sense to spend big bucks on a bat until the girls have the proper mechanics down because until then they can't begin to tap the bat's potential. In my book, that means the ability to properly swing endloaded bats or -10s (or -8s and -9s). Until that time, I'd buy a cheapo in DD's favorite color and spend the saved $ on hitting lessons. After the mechanics are good, spend the money and let them go with their preference whether it be balanced or endloaded, or -8, -9 or -10.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Greenmonsters...I am not talking $300. The rain we had cost $119. I sold it 6 months later for $100. So I guess we paid $19 for a pretty nice bat. Actually the rocketech we have is an '05, like new condition, paid $30 at play it again. The xeno is a 2011, paid $150. Now you could go to the big W and spend $50, but for another $50-$100 you could have last years best bat.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Greenmonsters gave good advice, but I have been doing this for many years and very few 10U's handle RT end loaded bat. Yes they may pound it sometimes , but BA is more important . That RT has a very small sweet spot. You can relate this to golf and if you have had a lesson they use tape on the head to see where you make contact. Most bats today are pretty much the same and it all depends on what makes her feel good. Don't overlook the mental part of the game. If she likes it's color and feels good, she will probably hit well. A good hitting coach can watch a few swings and tell what she needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish