End of an awesome ride as a softball dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2022
I am sad to say that my role as a softball dad will end soon. This week marks the end of a 11 year ride in fastpitch for me. Both my girls played travel ball and their varsity teams. My oldest even plays college D3. But they both decided that this will be their last season playing softball. I thought I had another couple years.

I am grateful for the sport where my girls learned resilience, dedication and teamwork. But as you can imagine I am sad to leave the softball life where I got to spend hours and hours of quality time with my daughters.

Can you guess what the picture is?

20240503_132145.jpg

Its the patch of my lawn that was carved out by my daughter pitching on it for 10 years. I filled it with topsoil and transplanted some grass from another part of the yard to help it grow back.

Hope all you ex-softball dads managed your retirement better than me. Maybe there's a softball withdrawal therapy somewhere. Haha.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Last year was both DD's last season. D3 and Varsity. DD1 just left the house to drive up to Dallas to attend the last games for the Seniors. She asked me to go too. Nah! You on your own. I still watch the team online, with much less stress. Much more time to work on my golf game!!!

Apr 1, 2017
Aaaahhh! Silver lining... GOLF.
That's what I'm doing. My daughters softball came to an end last summer, and they went off to college. I had barely played golf the last decade (was good before life/family happened....lol). Went out last fall and got fitted and bought an entire new setup, and have played a bunch this spring. It's been great.

Jan 25, 2022
I am sad to say that my role as a softball dad will end soon. This week marks the end of a 11 year ride in fastpitch for me. Both my girls played travel ball and their varsity teams. My oldest even plays college D3. But they both decided that this will be their last season playing softball. I thought I had another couple years.

I am grateful for the sport where my girls learned resilience, dedication and teamwork. But as you can imagine I am sad to leave the softball life where I got to spend hours and hours of quality time with my daughters.

Can you guess what the picture is?

View attachment 29617

Its the patch of my lawn that was carved out by my daughter pitching on it for 10 years. I filled it with topsoil and transplanted some grass from another part of the yard to help it grow back.

Hope all you ex-softball dads managed your retirement better than me. Maybe there's a softball withdrawal therapy somewhere. Haha.

My daughter's pitching legacy will be all the busted rubbermaid totes in the basement.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
That's what I'm doing. My daughters softball came to an end last summer, and they went off to college. I had barely played golf the last decade (was good before life/family happened....lol). Went out last fall and got fitted and bought an entire new setup, and have played a bunch this spring. It's been great.
I got fitted for some Mizuno Jpx 923's irons back in Dec. Tomorrow I pull the trigger!!!

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
My final days as a softball parent are coming in early July when DD2’s final travel season ends.

Yesterday was her last high school game on her home field, Lower Woodland in Seattle, which was not only her high school’s field, but home to our little league and her club team’s tryouts and many practices. It didn’t really hit me when I was there, but after meeting up with DD1’s former coach I drove by it on my way home and the realization came to me. It’s an odd feeling.

She has high school playoffs starting next week and as mentioned before, travel after that, but I can’t believe I’ll never see her on our home field again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd