Coaching behind the backstop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
What are some of the pros and cons of having a coach calling pitches from behind the backstop?

Apr 25, 2010
The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that the catcher is not learning how to call her own game.

The biggest pro, is that the coach has the experience(hopefully) to know what to call when.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to agree. That being said, DD of HC is the catcher and calls the pitches herself at 12u. Last game she called FB-FB-CU-CU. Pitcher got the K. Batter never expected 2 CUs in a row. HC kind of yelled never call to 2 CUs in a row again. Personally, I thought it was a brilliant call since it was the #4 batter, 3rd inning with same pitcher throwing all FBs with very few CUs peppered in and pitcher was ahead in the count 1-2.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Not allowed in the tournaments we have played in.

USSSA
RULE 11. SPORTSMANSHIP
Sec 2. A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not:
I. Be outside the designated dugout/bench or bullpen areas unless they are a batter,
runner, on deck batter, in the coach’s box or one of the nine players on defense.
PENALTY A-I: FIRST OFFENSE is a team warning. SECOND OFFENSE and any
subsequent violation the offender is restricted to the bench for the remainder of the game
and their current head coach shall be ejected.

NSA
Sec. 18 COACH: A member of the team at bat who takes his/her place in the coach's box to direct his/her players in running the bases. Two coaches are allowed, one positioned at 1st base and one positioned at 3rd base. One coach can have in his/her possession, a scorebook and an indicator that shall be used for scorekeeping purposes only. A defensive coach or manager must remain in the dugout at their normal position. If the manager or coach does not comply after a warning from the umpire, he/she will be ejected from the game.

I will have to look up ASA and High Schools exact wording when I get home. ;-)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I have to agree. That being said, DD of HC is the catcher and calls the pitches herself at 12u. Last game she called FB-FB-CU-CU. Pitcher got the K. Batter never expected 2 CUs in a row. HC kind of yelled never call to 2 CUs in a row again. Personally, I thought it was a brilliant call since it was the #4 batter, 3rd inning with same pitcher throwing all FBs with very few CUs peppered in and pitcher was ahead in the count 1-2.

I have never understood the whole - "never throw 2 CU in a row" attitude. There are times when and can be employed excellently.

If you do it too often you can get in trouble and 3 CU in a row is probably not the best idea but mix in B2B CU on occasion is fine.

As for the OP, coaches are not allowed behind the backstop in our league.

Jun 22, 2008
Coaches nor team players are allowed outside the team areas during play in in association I am aware of. I believe college does allow personell to be in the stands to chart pitches and video tape, but there can be not direct communication with the coaches in dugout or on the field.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
NFHS
Rule 3-6
Art. 6 . .Only the batter, runner(s), on-deck batter, coaches in the coach's box, bat/ball shaggers or one of the nine palyers on defense (S.P. 10) are permitted to be outside the designated dugout/bench or designated warm-up area. (3-5-7)

ASA
Rule 5. Section 12 Dugout Conduct
Coahes players, substitutes, and other bench personnel shall not be outside the designated bench, dugout/team area except when the rule allows or is justified by the umpire.
EFFECT: The first offense is a team warning. Any repeat offense shall result in the ejection of that team member.

ETA: Plus it is bushleague. . .

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ain't happening. Coaches are either in the coach's box or the dugout. Come behind the backstop and the game stops. The coach has two choices, dugout or parking lot. If making a decision becomes a problem, one choice disappears. :D
Don't care for the excuses which WILL be presented, the rules do not permit it.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
What are some of the pros and cons of having a coach calling pitches from behind the backstop?

I guess a pro would be the catcher not having to relay the sign to the pitcher, and the coach, or pitch caller, being able to see how effective the pitch selection is. The cons would be, the catcher not knowing what's comming without turning around to look, and it's illegal.

Coaches calling pitches do so from the dugout to the catcher, who relays the sign to the pitcher.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom