31/21 moving to 32/22 or 32/23

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2022
My daughter is a 12U player and is getting stronger. What are thoughts of moving to a 32/23 (drop 9) instead of staying drop 10. Coming from a 31/21. I know 12u has girls that will start pitching 60, but I think making the change now is as good as ever. What are pros and cons of changing to drop 9 instead of just staying drop 10? And if you stay at drop 10, when would you ever move to drop 9?

Feb 25, 2020
Drop 9 32's are cheaper. That's why I got my dd one. I don't think it makes a big difference. I think the extra weight might actually help them learn to swing it better.

Jan 22, 2022
Drop 9 32's are cheaper. That's why I got my dd one. I don't think it makes a big difference. I think the extra weight might actually help them learn to swing it better.
Cheaper? So, when the ghost advanced comes out in January, the drop 9s are cheaper than the drop 10s? I thought they were all $500.

Feb 25, 2020
Cheaper? So, when the ghost advanced comes out in January, the drop 9s are cheaper than the drop 10s? I thought they were all $500.

I got a mizuno cbrn1 for ~150. Was a year or so ago but I'm not paying more than 250 for a bat.

I'll edit: there were 32 drop 9 xenos for 190 or about. If your paying 500 for a bat you're made of money.

May 18, 2019
I haven't seen a 12 year old that should be swinging a drop 9 yet and that includes a 210 LB girl that could hit bombs. I have seen a lot of girls who could hit much better with the drop 11 than the Drop 10 they are using. My daughter is 15 and deadlifts between 250 and 275 lbs three to six times with good swing mechanics and still swings a drop 10 as do the majority of college players. The move from 11 to 10 seems to be the biggest benefit. What you gain in momentum from weight you usually lose in bat speed at younger ages and when you add missed barrels to that equation it's a losing proposition. I think when in doubt especially at younger ages err on the drop high side as the cost of being too light is way lower than the cost of being too heavy. As an aside you'll see very few girls throw 60 at that age (though rumors of them are greatly exaggerated by the dad's of pitchers and those struck out by slower aces) but a lot throwing 50. The drop 10 will serve well for either. Getting to 33 is a bigger benefit than getting to drop 9 but that should probably wait until she's a bit older for that 33/23 unless she's tall and very strong.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Stay away from a -9, at that age. Go with the 32-22, or if she's really strong, go to a 33-23. She'll benefit from a longer barrel more than a heavier, shorter one.

Too many people want their girls swinging Mjolnir thinking the heavier bat will give them more mass. I would suggest they watch Athletes Unlimited in the summer and see what those girls use. Mia Davidson hit the longest home runs I've ever seen hit by a girl, and she used a 34-24 CF and LXT.

Aug 5, 2022
agree absolutely not on the drop 9 at that age. Way too many girls swinging bats that are way too big and heavy. Dd is a sec commit and just started swinging. Drop 9 this past summer at 17 and she’s insanely strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2022
I got a mizuno cbrn1 for ~150. Was a year or so ago but I'm not paying more than 250 for a bat.

I'll edit: there were 32 drop 9 xenos for 190 or about. If your paying 500 for a bat you're made of money.
Made of money? I said the bat costs $500, but not that is what we spend. Dick's has 20% coupons and I get reward cards. Either way, I don't think someone is or isn't made of money depending on what they choose to spend on a bat.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
First off, regardless of what you hear or read, unless you're at the very top end of 12U, you won't be seeing 60mph pitching. Even then, that would be a "freak show". A kid who can throw like that with any degree of control will/should be playing up in age. If you did encounter that, the LAST thing you want your kid to be swinging is a heavy bat.

Next, if your 12U kid is THAT big and THAT strong, you're better off moving her up to a 33/23 instead of a 32/23. A drop-9 at 12U makes no sense; 32" is where most 12U are at, and many swing a drop-11. It's easy to spot the kid whose parents bought her too much bat; an extra ounce, usually loaded at the end, can make a big difference...and not in a good way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles