Coaching behind the backstop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What are some of the pros and cons of having a coach calling pitches from behind the backstop?

The big con is that the coaches would now argue close strikes and balls even more. Most are already under limited control from the dugout where they can only really judge pitch height. Add in inside/outside view and it would go totally nuts.

Oh and the big fight between head coaches on who gets the best backstop seating position.

Apr 1, 2010
What are some of the pros and cons of having a coach calling pitches from behind the backstop?

I'd think a big con would be the same one my DD has when she's catching one of her pitchers who calls her own game. DD has no idea what's coming. She can't set up on the proper corner--she frames pitches really well on the black, but she can't get that one pitcher nearly as many strikes on those pitches as she can for the others. And when a drop ball or other movement pitch comes along unexpectedly, it's much more likely to carom away and go who knows where. At 12U, DD is starting to block more, but it's still a work in progess, LOL.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'd think a big con would be the same one my DD has when she's catching one of her pitchers who calls her own game. DD has no idea what's coming. She can't set up on the proper corner--she frames pitches really well on the black, but she can't get that one pitcher nearly as many strikes on those pitches as she can for the others. And when a drop ball or other movement pitch comes along unexpectedly, it's much more likely to carom away and go who knows where. At 12U, DD is starting to block more, but it's still a work in progess, LOL.

DD should talk to pitcher. Pitcher can still call her own game and still let C know what is coming. An easy way is for C to put down sign and P simply add or subtract based on glove movement on leg or some such thing. Would probably help out both P & C. just my $0.02.

Feb 3, 2011
Thanks for the rule citation, Pridefpsb17. I observed this last weekend, but even though it irritated me a bit and made me laugh, I was more focused on my own team's effort, so I didn't address it right away.

On Sunday, I noticed the same guy again and this time, with my team already eliminated, I recorded a few clips of him. A little friend of his was upset with me for filming him, but I now suspect he got mad because he knew the other man was wrong. At the time, I was unsure whether the actions were legal. He might have been her pitching coach, but he was probably the father.

The UIC has since confirmed that it's illegal and is an ejectable offense, so in the future, I am to bring it to the umpire's attention immediately.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Not to add fuel to the fire but there is a worse scenario. That's the pitcher's dad calling pitches from behind the backstop, which the pitcher throws instead of whatever the catcher or coach called. :)

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD threw 3 CU's in a row (called by her coach) this past summer at a National Tournament. Strike 1, Strike 2 Strike 3. No one ever expected it. Batter pounded the plate in frustration after missing 3 in a row by 3 feet.

Provided the CU is throw where it is supposed to be - knee high at best on the outside corner - even if a kid is expecting #3, it will ususlly generate a ground ball to the right side (from a right handed batter).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not to add fuel to the fire but there is a worse scenario. That's the pitcher's dad calling pitches from behind the backstop, which the pitcher throws instead of whatever the catcher or coach called. :)

I think every coach wished this was against the rules.

"If you throw what your dad calls instead of your catcher again it will be your last pitch for the game"
"If you want to call pitches then maybe you should coach"

Jan 25, 2011
One more parent trying to treat the players like robots.
I had a small computer chip wired into my dd's brain ,so now I don't even have to give signs,just hit the remote and she throws what ever I want.I hear they are coming out with a app. for my I-phone this winter,so now I can do this from anywhere!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom