Showcase Events - rules and etiquette for parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Can you please elaborate? We talking know their record, their team, their achievements and big wins?

Or like Facebook stalk them and show up with their favorite ice cream flavor?

There were definitely some college programs dd was interested in which people warned us about. A quick Google search confirmed that she should steer clear.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's pitching coach when she played was a former college coach. After moving out of coaching, he became a pitching coach but still did some recruiting for some of his friends (other college coaches). Some of the advice he offered us concerning parents:
  • Coaches are not only recruiting players, they are also recruiting parents. If you act a certain way in the stands at a travel ball event, they will make the assumption that you will act the same way in their stands as well.
  • Do not carry DD's gear. At one event a player got out of the car and walked towards the field with her nose in her cell phone while dad carried all of her gear. This was an immediate turn off.
  • Show support for the entire team.
It was his opinion that more separation is created between recruits because of negative things associated with the player or the player's parents. Unless you are recruiting for Power 5, there are many players across the country that are extremely similar in regards to skill set. Those that have less negative checks have the best chance of playing for the team of their choice. In some cases it is the parents that create those negative checks.

May 20, 2016
My DD is committed at this point but a few of the girls are not. So i bring a nice cooler with adult beverages, and fine lawn chair, and a hat and sit in CF. Don't cheer, don't talk, make like a potted plant. Worked well for me.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My daughter's team has a dedicated recruiting coordinator. His job is to shake hands and kiss babies. He is very good at his job, and he knows an insane amount of coaches to the point they're talking about wives, husbands, kids, and grandkids. I prefer not watching my daughter pitch as it gives me way too much stress.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's former TB coach did most of his communication with college coaches via text and phone calls. He already knew which coaches were coming for each game. He never had to leave the field. He never "over sold" a player. We had seasoned parents that helped with the recruiting outside the fences. We developed relationships with these coaches over the years too. Mark H who used to post on here was our recruiter for a few years. His DD went on to coach at Dartmouth and Stanford.

Jan 22, 2011
[*]Do not carry DD's gear. At one event a player got out of the car and walked towards the field with her nose in her cell phone while dad carried all of her gear. This was an immediate turn off.

I've had more than one college coach tell me they don't watch the games, they watch the team gather outside the facility before they go into warmup and then just watch the warmups. Watching those two things tells the coach everything they need to know about the players they are interested in. I was the parent "recruiting liaison" for two summers.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've had more than one college coach tell me they don't watch the games, they watch the team gather outside the facility before they go into warmup and then just watch the warmups. Watching those two things tells the coach everything they need to know about the players they are interested in. I was the parent "recruiting liaison" for two summers.

Allen Iverson: "Practice? We talkin' about practice?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles