Biological Male Wins NCAA Women’s Track Championship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
If you have an afternoon to kill, this piece by Amby Burfoot (Boston Marathon winner) covers a LOT of ground on the subject (including some basic biology, some nuanced biology, competitive women's thoughts, and a well reasoned approach to the controversy.

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/04/the-whole-world-is-watching-caster-semenya-vs-iaaf/
Thank you very much for this link. I'll leave the conversation going on with this - I’ve never met an LGBTQIA issue I haven’t supported, and yet that’s not where I stand on gender identification in sports. Like I said, it’s complicated. I see things as Malcolm Gladwell expressed them several years ago in a New Yorker article: “I’ve been astonished at how many people fail to appreciate the athletic significance of this. Remember, this is a competitive issue, not a human-rights issue.”

Oct 4, 2018
Almost everyone in this thread sounds like an uneducated moron.

I would suggest that everyone start with the NCAA handbook on transgender athletes.

Kind of agree.

I know absolutely nothing about the challenges, frustrations, fears, dangers and experiences of transgender, gender fluid, gender changing individuals. I'm sure it's a much, much harder life than mine. Making fun of it isn't that cool.

Apr 12, 2015
And yet the Olympics ban a biological female who has naturally high testosterone levels from competing against other females.

Texas high school forces a fully transitioned male (transitioned from female) to wrestle in the female division because that's what the birth certificate says.

Most of these guidelines and rules are poorly thought out and even more poorly implemented.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Florida HS (FHSAA) actually has a reasonable policy that is well developed. Which is weird because they do manage to screw a lot of other things up.

I did see it in action with some people I know that served on several committees that have to form to hear, review and make decisions on an individual transgender athlete request to compete in 'gender separated' HS sports. The process was brutal, lengthy and was no fun for anyone involved in any way. The thought of someone voluntarily going through that is beyond any belief I have.

Nov 29, 2009
A girl my DD used to compete against in HS was a golf long drive champion. She left the sport because she was competing against trans-whatever males every week.

Dec 5, 2017
It doesn't matter how long they suppress their t levels. An 18-19 yo male that may have hit puberty at 13 has had the benefit of testosterone and the biological females will not have a fair chance against them. That is entirely different than griping about a bigger kid pitching faster.

Jun 8, 2016
That is entirely different than griping about a bigger kid pitching faster.
Why don't people actually quote the posts they are referring to..kind of like what I am doing right here.

Some people may be complaining entirely due to the unfair competition aspect of it, which I agree with. But from the tone of some of the posts there is more to it than simply that in some cases...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy