Drop Dead Game Strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2021
This coming weekend is using 75 min drop dead/ finish batter as the end to games.

I am looking up games strategies.

This thread also brought up thinking about how tournaments are run. Kentucky Softball a Bit Salty After Sunday

Found this for the weekend

Game Times: The game times for all games of this tournament will be 75 minutes drop dead finish the batter. Scores will be final at the time of the drop dead.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018
Get ahead, stay ahead. Minimize walks, field cleanly and make they plays that should be made. Win the game with the play on the field.

Bat your lineup where they expect to play. Maybe give thought to shortening lineup to turn over batting order more quickly.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
Drop dead and the score stands or drop dead and the score reverts back to last complete inning?

Drop dead and score stands is not fair to the home team as they may not get their last at bats. If score stands then you would always want to bat first as it would give you better odds of having an extra at bat, which once again is not fair to the home team.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
75 min DD are not games. They are gamettes. Always choose to bat first. Make sure you know the EXACT start time of the game. Prepare to change pitchers, tie shoes, intentionally walk batters and fake injuries to run out the clock. Winning is important.
There are even situations that you would want your hitters to make quick outs. Bunt it back to the pitcher. Say your team just took the lead by 2 runs and there is only 8 or 9 minutes left, you need to get 3 outs more than you need more runs to avoid the score reverting back.

Jul 27, 2021
Drop dead and the score stands or drop dead and the score reverts back to last complete inning?

Drop dead and score stands is not fair to the home team as they may not get their last at bats. If score stands then you would always want to bat first as it would give you better odds of having an extra at bat, which once again is not fair to the home team.
Yes, very important. Found this....

""Game Times: The game times for all games of this tournament will be 75 minutes drop dead finish the batter. Scores will be final at the time of the drop dead.""

I just found this but haven't had time to read https://www.discussfastpitch.com/threads/drop-dead-scoring-with-no-revert-to-previous-wtf.42184/

Jul 11, 2023
75 min DD are not games. They are gamettes. Always choose to bat first. Make sure you know the EXACT start time of the game. Prepare to change pitchers, tie shoes, intentionally walk batters and fake injuries to run out the clock. Winning is important.
There are even situations that you would want your hitters to make quick outs. Bunt it back to the pitcher. Say your team just took the lead by 2 runs and there is only 8 or 9 minutes left, you need to get 3 outs more than you need more runs to avoid the score reverting back.
Boy I hate these games because coaches...er...managers will do this. And pat themselves on the back and act like they're clever. It's garbage and doesn't serve anyone but the egos of adults. Please teach your kids to be good enough to hold a lead, not game a poor system.

Nov 18, 2015
I'm surprised no one's suggested the "find another tournament" option yet. :)

It does sound ridiculous - wouldn't be surprised if this gets changed at the plate meeting. Is it an indoor tournament? Or are you just rubbing it in our faces that you get to play outside in January? :)

My suggestion would be to set different criteria for "winning" ahead of time with the team - "We may not get the same number of chances to win as the other team, so we're not going to focus on the score this weekend." Maybe set fielding goals (double plays? bunt coverages, throwing to the correct base) or batting goals (QABs).

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The drop dead, no revert scenario is rare. Whenever I have coached in one I remind myself that most sports are timed and therefore the drop dead finish is built in.

Dec 19, 2021
Yes, very important. Found this....

""Game Times: The game times for all games of this tournament will be 75 minutes drop dead finish the batter. Scores will be final at the time of the drop dead.""
That's complete BS. I know PGF does that but those are true practice games where nobody cares about the outcome. Had one last summer end bottom of the inning, bases juiced, two outs, great batter up.....game over. But the score had no impact to anything.

As was said. Make sure you are the visitor. Best batters 1-2-3-4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles