Dallas Morning News article re Portal and Recruiting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
The rules for Covid and the portal have been horrible for younger HS players. Why invest four years in a girl when you can get her for a year or two? I get that it's a results driven business, but let's call it what it is: a business. Let's not pretend this is about academics for these P5 programs. As bad as it is with softball, I can imagine it's so much worse with football and basketball.

UCLA had a girl last year who graduated from HS in 2016. Due to red-shirt rules and Covid years, she was still playing college softball when her contemporaries likely graduated from college in 2020. Don't try and tell me she was there for the education. The problem is the NCAA allows it, so these people take advantage of a broken system, and it's the younger girls who get screwed.

When do you think was the last time any final four participant was in class? I’ve been curious about that.

College sports are crazy these days.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
When do you think was the last time any final four participant was in class? I’ve been curious about that.

College sports are crazy these days.
5th grade?

Seriously, Dexter Manley had a college degree from Oklahoma State and was functionally illiterate.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
“He said, ‘We’re going to step back and look and see if we’re doing this the right way…”

Silly me, I thought maybe he was going to say the right way would be to recruit players that would stay with him for four years, ones he could develop and who could gain lots of experience, instead of one and done hopefuls.

Dec 11, 2010
There is a 2016 hs grad playing at Miami of Ohio. Hats off to her for doing what she loves, man thats a long time to play college softball.

As the dad of a 2020 hs grad, all I can say is that timing is everything. They were on the edge of the recruiting rules change. A lot of them lost their senior year of high school softball. A virtual grad ceremony. The absolute bs of not having one effing year without 5th and 6th year players. The portal. It was mayhem! How does a normal player navigate all this?

It is what it is. A few more months and it’s all in the rear view mirror. I’m glad she did it and I’m also very proud of her for completing four years of college softball and moving on with a solid education.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
There is a 2016 hs grad playing at Miami of Ohio. Hats off to her for doing what she loves, man thats a long time to play college softball.

As the dad of a 2020 hs grad, all I can say is that timing is everything. They were on the edge of the recruiting rules change. A lot of them lost their senior year of high school softball. A virtual grad ceremony. The absolute bs of not having one effing year without 5th and 6th year players. The portal. It was mayhem! How does a normal player navigate all this?

It is what it is. A few more months and it’s all in the rear view mirror. I’m glad she did it and I’m also very proud of her for completing four years of college softball and moving on with a solid education.

This is the class I feel got the biggest part of the shaft. Lose your senior season. Have your freshman playing time cut because of players that were supposed to move and didn’t then compete against the next group without the benefit of all the experience you should have had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619