Drop Dead Game Strategy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2019
I'll add
That's complete BS. I know PGF does that but those are true practice games where nobody cares about the outcome. Had one last summer end bottom of the inning, bases juiced, two outs, great batter up.....game over. But the score had no impact to anything.

As was said. Make sure you are the visitor. Best batters 1-2-3-4.
One strategy though I hate it but in the spirit of being "helpful". If you are ahead, pitcher gets 20 seconds after receiving the ball to pitch. Use it. If behind pitch as quickly as possible and throw more strikes if the pitcher has control. Teach the pitchers both cadences especially P1. Hitters widen the zone if behind and shrink it if ahead. Managing the length of the game with a lead or deficit can be a huge advantage. Running for cover now.

Jul 11, 2023
@Tazman, that's pretty brilliant. Can easily grind out a game, potentially without anyone even noticing as you can gradually change your cadence depending on how the game is going.

But what I appreciate most is using the word teach. Even without a terrible time limit, changing cadence or expanding/contracting your swing zone are useful adjustments for players.

May 29, 2015
I'll add

One strategy though I hate it but in the spirit of being "helpful". If you are ahead, pitcher gets 20 seconds after receiving the ball to pitch. Use it. If behind pitch as quickly as possible and throw more strikes if the pitcher has control. Teach the pitchers both cadences especially P1. Hitters widen the zone if behind and shrink it if ahead. Managing the length of the game with a lead or deficit can be a huge advantage. Running for cover now.

This is not just a strategy in a timed game, but one that good players should know. I appreciate the way you said that, @Tazman : TEACH pitchers BOTH CADENCES. Though it should apply to all players, TEACH them ahead of time . . . don't sit over there and yell "HURRY UP!! SLOW DOWN!!!"

One of the most annoying things I see is the coach that screams at the players, "NO WARM UPS! HURRY UP!!!" and then looks to his wrist card three times, slowly deciding on the pitch. No. If you were a half-way decent coach, you would NOT be calling ANY pitches at this point. Your pitcher should know: this is "put it over the plate and let the defense work" time.

As for advice, I cant say there is any one strategy to blanketly offer for a 75-minute drop dead game (tangent: finish the batter is not drop dead). You need to be aware of many strategies in many different situations. The one piece of advice that is necessary at all times: ALWAYS manage and know the clock. You cannot play for 72 minutes like you always would, and then go into some insane 3-minute drill. You MUST play the clock from 74:59 to 0:00.

Apr 14, 2022
Be prepared to walk last batter if you are ahead.
If down by 1 or tied,
If you are up last batter runs until they get out. Try to bate a throw. Maybe try the one if a walk run to first then head to the outfield.
Make sure team knows how to defend last batter. Throw 2 bases ahead. Or better yet run 2 bases ahead. If you walk the batter have catcher throw to second, or run to 3rd. Try to avoid run downs make them come to you.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Hate drop dead...would do my best to avoid it. I've never seen drop dead bracket games. Unless it was a low-cost early season tournament that I considered "practice", I wouldn't enter.

That said, win the coin toss, bat first, and score early / often. Like basketball late in the game, the team that's ahead largely controls the tempo.

Oct 4, 2018
Ugh, it sucks. My thoughts:

1. Don't play these tourneys
2. Visitor. Win the coin toss, be the visiting team
3. Learn how to get out quickly. Runners stepping off bases early, batters stepping on home plate when swinging.
4. Don't play these tourneys

This format changes the game too much. Sometimes it doesn't even feel like softball, but like some type of Squid Games thing.

Apr 1, 2017
75 minute drop dead no revert is not a serious tournament format......
It's a horrible format, but yes, always choose to hit first.

We played a tournament last summer that had it (first time in 7 seasons) for pool games. We won 2 of our 3 pool games by scoring in the top half of the inning to take the lead, and then time ends before other team could bat. Even being on the winning side of it, it's just terrible. It either wasn't in the posted rules for the tournament, or I missed it. Definitely wouldn't sign up for a tournament that I knew was using the format. I always avoided anything with drop dead, revert or not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles