Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
What - specifically - does "work hard" mean?

Do you see a problem with helping players develop a strategy for different pitch counts?

Ever played a sport? It means compete.

I like teds thought. ‘Get a good pitch to hit’ w 2 strikes shorten the stroke. See it longer if you’re feeling overmatched or unsure. But competing is the main concept I want all my players to learn. That’s ground zero.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with letting a hitter figure out
what works for them in terms pitch selection but I think swinging at pitcher’s pitches with no strikes or conversely, looking for the perfect pitch with 2 strikes, is not a winning strategy regardless of how good the pitcher is.

I found that giving a hitter a plan helped them narrow their focus in a productive way.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I agree with letting a hitter figure out
what works for them in terms pitch selection but I think swinging at pitcher’s pitches with no strikes or conversely, looking for the perfect pitch with 2 strikes, is not a winning strategy regardless of how good the pitcher is.

If the swing is good you won’t need a perfect pitch. It’s really that simple.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ever played a sport? It means compete.

I like teds thought. ‘Get a good pitch to hit’ w 2 strikes shorten the stroke. See it longer if you’re feeling overmatched or unsure. But competing is the main concept I want all my players to learn. That’s ground zero.

I find "work hard" to be overly vague, which is why I asked the question. From my most recent sport of bicycle racing, there's lots of ways to work hard but not significantly improve your chance to win. My preference is for phrases that are a little more pointed. "Win the battle" is a personal favorite. It's not just about the physical effort, but also about the mental determination to out-play the competition.

When we boil it down. We probably mean the exact same thing. If your players get that from you saying "work hard", that's great.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I find "work hard" to be overly vague, which is why I asked the question. From my most recent sport of bicycle racing, there's lots of ways to work hard but not significantly improve your chance to win. My preference is for phrases that are a little more pointed. "Win the battle" is a personal favorite. It's not just about the physical effort, but also about the mental determination to out-play the competition.

When we boil it down. We probably mean the exact same thing. If your players get that from you saying "work hard", that's great.

haha. Ok. Work hard w 2 strikes means? Go run fast? Grip the bat tighter? Swing harder? It means concentrate, focus. Maybe don’t compare cycling to softball. They are hardly the same disciplines. One takes tremendous focus w a lot of pressure packed moments involved while the other takes endurance. Not much focus. Just ride, breath and watch where you’re going. LOL.

edit: old guys take up golf for those pressure packed moments. Learn the game find some guys to gamble w learn how to hit shots w some money on the line. That’s kinda comparable. Not as much. But kinda.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
sure. Everyone has a hole. You just gotta be adequate across the zone. The swing as awhile has to be good. Can’t only cover one side. Know what I mean?
So should you swing at a pitch in your “hole” with no strikes? That was my point..

May 24, 2013
So Cal
haha. Ok. Work hard w 2 strikes means? Go run fast? Grip the bat tighter? Swing harder? It means concentrate, focus. Maybe don’t compare cycling to softball. They are hardly the same disciplines. One takes tremendous focus w a lot of pressure packed moments involved while the other takes endurance. Not much focus. Just ride, breath and watch where you’re going. LOL.

You don't know much about bike racing - LOL. Definitely different physical disciplines, with different demands. The approach of doing everything in your physical and mental capability, in the demands of the moment, to succeed ahead of everyone else who is trying to do the same thing, applies to both.

I wasn't sure what "work hard" meant in relation to hitting. As I said, I found it vague. If it was clear, I wouldn't have asked for more info. Now I understand your intent a little better. No worries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619