Analysis of 10U DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
My understanding this is the biggest indicator of bad bat drag. They hit the snot out of the ball when facing younger slower pitching but when they get older and face better pitching they start to struggle. Good thing is you recognize there is a problem and are looking for fixes. Most parents never realize their is a problem and think their daughter is fabulous everytime she really cranks one, problem is that don't/won't happen often. My suggestion would be to search and read everything Hitter has to say on here. There are others on here that are very knowledgable but I took my daughter to one of Hitters camps with Bustos and what they teach works.

No doubt Hitter has methods to deal with the problem.

Oct 12, 2009
Referring to post #16:

How so? Elbow not in a classic drag position. It would be helpful to know why that is a bad back elbow position.

main.php

Given that this is a tee swing on what looks like a ball down the middle, there's no good reason for the back elbow not to be in the Power L position. The fact that it's not, and instead is both forward and inside, suggests that the hitter got there via drag, rather than optimal mechanics, and quite possibly via bat drag.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Sometimes having them stand next to a net and think the net is a wall. Back up against the net and then move forward about one foot. Slowly start your load and then go to toe touch and begin to slot the elbow. If the elbow does not clear your body the bat will tip rearward to bat drag versus bat lag. If the elbow gets ahead of the hand this will also cause the bat to tilt rearward and touch the net. If done correctly you will not touch the net with the bat.

you see the hitter getting under the ball consistently the issue is they use too much tip forward (pointing the bat head towards the pitcher) and then try to make the bat move to connection and excessively swing the bat head rearward using the back elbow and the bat head drops and will hit the net or cause bat drag. You should be able to swing the bat without hitting the net if you make a good first move and the hands have separated rearward without so much tilting of the bat head towards the pitcher.

I'm sure Howard will add to this, but this is the method that we have used in his clinics.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Drill for Bat Drag

Here is a drill that will help you with this issue. There are several but this is one that is easy to use and really helps with this issue.

YouTube - ifubuildit1's Channel

This young lady is one of my students. She started out with me then Mom decided to take her to another instructor. When she came back she had bat drag. I will let you all figure out why mom brought her back. :D So now I am in the process of correcting the problem. The good news is there is still time before the season starts to get this corrected.

Dana.

Jan 15, 2009
i understand trying to break the swing down and work on the mechanical components, but in the ifubuildit video the elbow path the instructor is asking for and reinforcing is leaving the hands in a position that would only hit a ball at eye level or above. Isn't that a problem?

Dec 10, 2008
Mark is actually right on about what the video would show. My DD in this pic has a bad bat drag issue. I am trying some different methods of getting her to swing the right way. She took what I said and did it in this swing. Lead with elbow and keep hands in. I know its not a perfect swing but just trying to help Her understand what is.
Originally what I said was the elbow in and leading seems to help with the drag. It seems the only way they get in that position is to cast hands and somehow turn wrists and arms into that crazy drag position.Problems seem to be explaining things to young Girls in a way they understand what you mean.

Also Chris I disagree with your analysis that She could get in that position via drag. Maybe not perfect mechanics but you cannot get there from a drag position(elbows in front of hands). But I appreciate the positive help you guys are giving everyone about drag. It is a IMO hard thing to get out of for the normal Dad. But I'll be darned if i don't try hard.LOL

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Mark is actually right on about what the video would show. My DD in this pic has a bad bat drag issue. I am trying some different methods of getting her to swing the right way. She took what I said and did it in this swing. Lead with elbow and keep hands in. I know its not a perfect swing but just trying to help Her understand what is.
Originally what I said was the elbow in and leading seems to help with the drag. It seems the only way they get in that position is to cast hands and somehow turn wrists and arms into that crazy drag position.Problems seem to be explaining things to young Girls in a way they understand what you mean.

Also Chris I disagree with your analysis that She could get in that position via drag. Maybe not perfect mechanics but you cannot get there from a drag position(elbows in front of hands). But I appreciate the positive help you guys are giving everyone about drag. It is a IMO hard thing to get out of for the normal Dad. But I'll be darned if i don't try hard.LOL

Get one of your belts or a piece of rope...have her hold the buckle end and you hold the other end and stand about where the catcher sets up and have her load and go to toe touch and separate the hands rearward a little and then put a little tension on the rope or belt. Have her begin her swing with some resistance and notice where the hands are being directed? Over the plate or inside the path of the ball? Now get her to lead with the elbows and the buckle being the knob leads the elbows. When you feel she is at bat lag for hitting a pitch up the middle then notice where the elbows are in relationship to the hands. Now look at her rear elbow and see if it cleared her hip or near it. Ask her to move it in closer and she if she has any strength to pull you and ten have her move it away more and try it again. This usually helps with developing a feel for what you are asking her to do in my opinion.

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
Here is a drill that will help you with this issue. There are several but this is one that is easy to use and really helps with this issue.

YouTube - ifubuildit1's Channel

This young lady is one of my students. She started out with me then Mom decided to take her to another instructor. When she came back she had bat drag. I will let you all figure out why mom brought her back. :D So now I am in the process of correcting the problem. The good news is there is still time before the season starts to get this corrected.

Dana.

Good for you. I'm going to make a criticism but I want everyone to understand I wouldn't have a problem recommending you to a parent. My criticism is, make sure as you solve one problem you aren't teaching her to get her arms and hands ahead of the rotation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32