Analysis of 10U DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
SL,

All that elbow flexion tells me she had a push disconnect. Started the swing by bending the elbow and pushing the hands forward almost certainly.

Dec 10, 2008
Okay after looking at it more she has to much rotation leading with arms first and lower second. Should be opposite with more rotation for lower body. Correct?

Jan 28, 2010
Ok, now what are some tips

I started reading this post and am interested in this bat drag thing. I notice that several of the girls on my team have this issue and would like to know how to 'fix' it. I don't mean a magic fix or that one thing is a cure, but what are some 'talking points' that I can use that a 11 or 12 year old girl can understand?

This looks like a bad habit developed over years of success at a young age. I see this in my daughter. She was a slugger in Rec ball and the early part of 10U travel ball. She has developed a bit of a slump now starting 12s. When she connects, it is usually down the third base line for extra bases, but that is when she hits.

Now that this term has been brought to my attention, I can see it in several of our girls. I would like to change these habits now, to increase their success in the future.

Jul 11, 2009
She was a slugger in Rec ball and the early part of 10U travel ball. She has developed a bit of a slump now starting 12s. When she connects, it is usually down the third base line for extra bases, but that is when she hits.

My understanding this is the biggest indicator of bad bat drag. They hit the snot out of the ball when facing younger slower pitching but when they get older and face better pitching they start to struggle. Good thing is you recognize there is a problem and are looking for fixes. Most parents never realize their is a problem and think their daughter is fabulous everytime she really cranks one, problem is that don't/won't happen often. My suggestion would be to search and read everything Hitter has to say on here. There are others on here that are very knowledgable but I took my daughter to one of Hitters camps with Bustos and what they teach works.

Oct 12, 2009
In that photo is her front arm to far away from her chest? What else do you see

main.php

You will sometimes see that degree of front elbow bend when making an adjustment to a pitch way inside, or in someone who loves Derek Jeter's swing, but it's not really appropriate for that ball location.

The location of the back elbow in the pic is also problematic.

May 12, 2008
Okay after looking at it more she has to much rotation leading with arms first and lower second. Should be opposite with more rotation for lower body. Correct?

Honestly we should be looking at video to be sure but it looks to me like she pushed the hands forward to start the swing rather than keep it connected to shoulder rotation. I stand to be corrected if we can see the video.

May 12, 2008
I started reading this post and am interested in this bat drag thing. I notice that several of the girls on my team have this issue and would like to know how to 'fix' it. I don't mean a magic fix or that one thing is a cure, but what are some 'talking points' that I can use that a 11 or 12 year old girl can understand?

This looks like a bad habit developed over years of success at a young age. I see this in my daughter. She was a slugger in Rec ball and the early part of 10U travel ball. She has developed a bit of a slump now starting 12s. When she connects, it is usually down the third base line for extra bases, but that is when she hits.

Now that this term has been brought to my attention, I can see it in several of our girls. I would like to change these habits now, to increase their success in the future.

You're right. It's developed at a young age. It's how many/most young hitters figure out how to solve the problem of lining up the swing plane and hitting the ball hard. It's a very rational, logical and effective solution in their world. Every aware hitting coach has their own methods for solving the problem. I'd use a combination of drills to teach a different way to line up the swing plane, a different way to rotate and a different way to more quickly get the bat speed they want so they can hit the ball hard. I'd suggest you really need a support group to help you apply this or you need a the support of a good instructor. To me it's not just fix arm action. It's all one piece. Stride open, lay the bat and arms over, lead with the elbow creating a casting long swing with a big whip. Try to take away part of it without fixing the whole is going to annoy them and not make sense. I'd suggest find a good instructor (easier said than done) or you could try getting the right view software to keep you on track or, my choice, sign up on Englishbey's site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck