Analysis of 10U DD Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Snooz and Mark

i understand trying to break the swing down and work on the mechanical components, but in the ifubuildit video the elbow path the instructor is asking for and reinforcing is leaving the hands in a position that would only hit a ball at eye level or above. Isn't that a problem?

The idea behind the video here is to isolate the movement of the elbows in a synchronous manner as much as possible while keeping the swing connected and not allowing the back elbow to drop in and next to the body. Any drill you do has the potential to become problematic if the intent is not understood. That is a problem with providing video on the internet at times. You dont have real time interaction with the instructor.

Snooz in response to your question about where I am having her bring her elbow. This same movement would be used regardless of the plane of the ball. The adjustment would be done in the hips by tilting to match the plane of the swing to the plane of the ball. One last thing. That is me in the video. ;)

Mark you know me better than that my friend. I would never tell a student to start their arms before their hips and anyone who has real understanding of how a swing works wouldn't either. :) Granted in the video it could appear that is what is being promoted but I am working on a upper body movement problem in this video. I am not really concerned about the lower half until I have her take a swing with the bat. Sometimes isolation is the best teacher for certain problems.

Dana.

Jan 15, 2009
Snooz in response to your question about where I am having her bring her elbow. This same movement would be used regardless of the plane of the ball. The adjustment would be done in the hips by tilting to match the plane of the swing to the plane of the ball. One last thing. That is me in the video. ;)

I'm just wondering if it would make sense to modify the drill slightly to encourage her to hit your hand with her elbow and forearm at about a 90 degree so that they get the feel of hitting that spot in a position ready to extend, rather than with the forearm collapsed. Maybe that results in instructor being hit in the face which would be less than optimum :)

Be patient with me I'm trying to learn here not criticizing or arguing what your doing is wrong.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Good for you. I'm going to make a criticism but I want everyone to understand I wouldn't have a problem recommending you to a parent. My criticism is, make sure as you solve one problem you aren't teaching her to get her arms and hands ahead of the rotation.

I also would have no problem recommending dana.( ifubuildit)

This video like he said is getting the elbows to work in unison and if holding on to a bat it would be in bat leg.

When the swing comes like hitting off a tee , he would make the adjustments to rotation.

Straightleg

May 7, 2008
DFW
Snooz

LOL. I never have them do this drill with a bat in hand. I have too many students who would follow through with it and nail me. :D Seriously, you can go as far as you want with this but my focus is to get that back elbow away from the body when it comes around the corner into the "Bat Lag" position. That would be the exact time when the knob of the bat would be pointing at the pitcher or the ball if you were doing this off a tee. That is the position she is finishing in in the video.

Not only will Bat Drag cause your hitter to pop up, it will also rob them of power in the swing. The way to test that is put the hand next to the body instead of out by the elbow. Have your hitter swing and ask them which felt stronger. The swing with the hand out by the elbow or the one with the hand next to the body. (Bat Drag position) They should all tell you with the elbow out.

Snooz I have all the respect in the world for someone who is trying to learn how to make kids hit a ball better. If there is something you dont understand or I am not explaining to your satisfaction please feel free to send me a PM or ask on here. I will certainly try to respond and help.

Dana.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
The idea behind the video here is to isolate the movement of the elbows in a synchronous manner as much as possible while keeping the swing connected and not allowing the back elbow to drop in and next to the body. Any drill you do has the potential to become problematic if the intent is not understood. That is a problem with providing video on the internet at times. You dont have real time interaction with the instructor.

Mark you know me better than that my friend. I would never tell a student to start their arms before their hips and anyone who has real understanding of how a swing works wouldn't either. :) Granted in the video it could appear that is what is being promoted but I am working on a upper body movement problem in this video. I am not really concerned about the lower half until I have her take a swing with the bat. Sometimes isolation is the best teacher for certain problems.

Dana.

I know you understand this but the drill looks like the arms and hands are getting ahead of the upper torso rotation. I would like rotation to get the arms to something like that position.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2008
Okay ,I was watching the ifubuildit video and you say you want the elbow out away from the body? Just to me it feels wierd. In close feels more natural. I watched the videos of players and see the elbow in close to body. Especially Caitlin. Fastpitch

May 12, 2008
It's somewhat pitch location dependent and over emphasizing something in a drill is not necessarily a bad idea. In close is one thing. In close with the top hand forearm laid over away from the body and the elbow leading the hands is another thing.

Dec 10, 2008
Whats a good cue or drill to emphasize a young girl to get all of the lower body into the swing ? I am trying to explain it to her but She seems to only get it halfway.

May 12, 2008
I know you understand this but the drill looks like the arms and hands are getting ahead of the upper torso rotation. I would like rotation to get the arms to something like that position.

I should add it is a good approach to solving the problem imo.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Nwitom

One that has worked well for me. Soft toe touch into stride. Plant the heel, Flex the knees, Fire the back hip first. In that order. If you get her to think in those terms for the lower half movement then the upper half should follow. Also, if you look closely at the Bustos clip and watch her back elbow you will see it is away from her body as she comes around the corner with the swing. This is what I am trying to convey with this clip.

Dana.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck