Congratulations to Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I didn't know where to post this. I just had lunch with the gentleman who coached my dd from the time that she was 13 through the age of 16. Coach was so important to my dd's development as both a player and person. The organization that Coach runs was just inducted into the ASA Hall of Fame and that first team's roster was read and Hall of Fame Medallions were issued to team members. I have posted before about this person and team so please forgive me if I repeat some things.

The kid has turned 13 but was still eligible to play 12U. The team that she first played for was going to play another year of 12U. The coach of that team had a talk with my wife and me and said that our dd needed to move up and play at a higher level. We all knew that she was going to be a varsity starter as a freshman. We did not want to do that. We received a call from Coach saying that he wanted the dd to try out for his 14U team. We did not know him and his team was a first-year team. However, my dd's best friend also received a call from Coach and agreed to try out. In short, it really was not a tryout and my dd knew every player on the team. They were to be a 14U team but had planned to play 16U. In fact, they played both 16U and 18U. That scared us since our dd was a pitcher. As it turned out, it was one of the best decisions we ever made.

As a freshman pitcher on the varsity, our dd already had played against top-level competition and had played in 7 states. She hit 3rd in the lineup and was the #2 pitcher for this new team. Coach was and is a person of high quality who was/is the perfect balance between his approach to the game and mine. I was an assistant coach on this team and also received a medallion. I told Coach that I would never make a decision regarding my dd. Coach understood.

These young ladies are the same players that I have mentioned before who were in our house all of the time. One stopped by a couple of weeks ago and, as usual, went straight to the refrigerator to get what she wanted. LOL They were in her wedding. They are still her best friends. Congratulations Coach on being recognized for such an honor for a TB program that you created.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021
👏 Bravo!

The coach of that team had a talk with my wife and me and said that our dd needed to move up and play at a higher level.
This part is important and THAT coach deserves everyone's respect too. So many at that level try to keep the kids for themselves rather than letting them progress elsewhere.

The coaches along the way make such a difference, both good and bad.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
👏 Bravo!

This part is important and THAT coach deserves everyone's respect too. So many at that level try to keep the kids for themselves rather than letting them progress elsewhere.

The coaches along the way make such a difference, both good and bad.
We do give him credit and we are still good friends with him. His brother was the varsity head coach and he had actually asked this coach to make the recommendation. Several of the players on that team ended up playing HS ball with my dd so it worked out really well. I've mentioned this coach before and he was the one that had players play every position instead of locking any player into one position. My dd was a pitcher, SS and CF for him.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Great Story. Thanks for sharing. Similar but different situation DD had a coach she really respected and loved. He was well known in the softball community nationwide too. He did it the right way and was old school. He had to retire DD's Senior year. I would stop by his office for various reasons and we would always chat. I need to stop in and see him soon.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Great Story. Thanks for sharing. Similar but different situation DD had a coach she really respected and loved. He was well known in the softball community nationwide too. He did it the right way and was old school. He had to retire DD's Senior year. I would stop by his office for various reasons and we would always chat. I need to stop in and see him soon.
The impact of these coaches along the way can not be understated. They can make or break out dds. We were so fortunate that my dd had so many outstanding coaches who were also great role models for her. Like you, I try to stay in touch with them all. I liked each one of them as a person and that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles