? About Pitcher position being in batting order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2012
South carolina
I am new to fastpitch so I'm sure this is a lame question, but is there a time where if you are a pither that yoy are no longer allowed to hit so you focus only on pitching? My daughter is 9 and has expressed a desire to pitch but I want her to know that she might not be able to play on the offensive side at some point. I know at the college level that pitcher no longer hit. Is there a time in travel ball where the pitcher only plays defense? Thank you!

Mar 8, 2012
A good hitting pitcher can and will hit up and through college. Looking at UF, their two main pitchers are Hannah Rodgers and Lauren Hauger. Lauren is in the batting lineup everyday, regardless of her pitching, playing 1st, or DH. Hannah on the other hand only pitches. Just depends on the talent of the pitcher.

One note- Lauren has exceptional power.

Apr 25, 2010
A large number of college pitchers hit. Also, just because your DD gets recruited by a college and she's a pitcher, doesn't mean she will pitch for that school. A huge number of college players were pitchers growing up. Work that offense!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our family runs into a time and money issue.

DD does not have enough time to work on pitching and everything else, we do not have enough money to give her productive lessons in everything.

DD is working on pitching, other players are working their blank off at hitting.

If she is dedicated to softball she can do it all, not for us.

Jul 26, 2010
There is a DP/Flex rule in softball, that allows for one player to play defense only and one player to play offense only. If a kid is a phenomenal pitcher but can't hit the broad side of a beachball with a bat, there is a rule that would allow her to continue to play.

That said, as Crystlemc and ScottBev mentioned, most pitchers continue to hit, and many do it quite well. Two Olympic pitchers show both sides of the spectrum. Jennie Finch, for instance, is a great hitter, and hit an HR in her last series with Team USA. Cat Osterman, on the other hand, is not a great hitter and rarely went to the plate in her college and professional career.

At age 9, you've no idea what your child will want to do next year, let alone 9 years from now, so your best bet is to continue to give her the opportunity to hit and excel at hitting. Your daughter may come to a point where she is no longer the #1 pitcher on the team. If she cannot hit or play another position, this means she will sit the bench an awful lot. If she can hit well, however, the coach will always make room for her in the lineup. This is especially true at the high school and college level.

There is nothing about batting that can adversely effect a pitcher, other then a freak accident. My only suggestion is that if the pitcher is a switch hitter (right handed pitcher, left handed batter) that she wear an elbow guard, since her pitching arm will be in front and more likely to be hit by a pitch, or if she's a slapper, she's more likely to run into a pitch with it.

-W

-W

Aug 19, 2011
If we're talking college, remember the WCWS championship this year, where both Ricketts and Traina made important contributions with their bats.

May 11, 2012
She is 9. Try your best to make sure she gets great fundamentals in hitting, fielding and pitching. At this age there is absoluetly no reason she cant receive a great foundation in all of them. Dont toss hitting by the waist side just because she is a pitcher. Like many have said, there are many pitchers who are great with the bat. Almost every 9 year old pitcher I have coached, have been some of my top hitters.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06