Does position in the batting order matter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2022
Hi all, I'm just curious what you all think about batting order and success at the plate. My DD finally switched teams/orgs. She started off in the 7or 8 slot and had good success at the plate. She then got moved up to the 4 slot and suddenly wasn't hitting. Does get more walks and HBP but also more strikeouts. Gets moved back down and is hitting again. Similar pitching, pretty good teams with experienced pitchers. She's never really hit in the 4 slot so just trying to figure out if she's getting different pitching as a 4 slot hitter or if it's mental, she feels more pressure. She's been moved back and forth now a few times and it's the same pattern. She has to figure it out either way and is good for her to have the recognition of hitting well (in the past always was kept low in the order or simply didn't get put in the lineup, even with highest BA on the team).

Just curious on your opinion of what's going on and any advice on approach when put in the 4 slot. Thanks all!

Jun 11, 2013
When you bat 3rd of 4th you generally see a lot less good pitches to hit. It's much easier to hit at 7th or 8th as they want to make sure you can hit and will tend to throw more 1st pitch good hitting pitchers. If you play in HS or a place where you play the best teams a lot they know who can hit by then but in TB you really just assume the 3 and 4 hitters can do some damage.

Feb 14, 2019
Hi all, I'm just curious what you all think about batting order and success at the plate. My DD finally switched teams/orgs. She started off in the 7or 8 slot and had good success at the plate. She then got moved up to the 4 slot and suddenly wasn't hitting. Does get more walks and HBP but also more strikeouts. Gets moved back down and is hitting again. Similar pitching, pretty good teams with experienced pitchers. She's never really hit in the 4 slot so just trying to figure out if she's getting different pitching as a 4 slot hitter or if it's mental, she feels more pressure. She's been moved back and forth now a few times and it's the same pattern. She has to figure it out either way and is good for her to have the recognition of hitting well (in the past always was kept low in the order or simply didn't get put in the lineup, even with highest BA on the team).

Just curious on your opinion of what's going on and any advice on approach when put in the 4 slot. Thanks all!
It can absolutely make a difference, for a both of the reasons you listed. Biggest thing I see is the hitter's mentality...While it really shouldn't work this way, there's just a higher expectation and more pressure to produce when you're hitting at the top of the lineup. Sometimes that pressure can make a hitter change their approach/swing/whatever. My DD does that very thing; when she gets moved to the leadoff position instead of 2 or 3 hole, she'll change her approach and start being less aggressive at the plate trying to "find a way to get on". She drew as many walks in two tournaments hitting leadoff as she did the entire rest of the season hitting 2 hole. She still hit well, but not up to her normal standard. She missed opportunities because she was busy watching pitches early in the count that she normally jumps on. We talked about staying aggressive and attacking pitches early in the count that she can hit hard no matter where she's hitting in the lineup and it really made a difference.

It also affects how opposing coaches/pitchers view the hitter. Knowing they're facing the top of the lineup often makes pitchers up their game a bit and be more mindful of spin/speed/location than they might be against the bottom half.

I'd talk with your DD about how she feels and what she's thinking at the different spots in the lineup. Encourage her to keep the same approach from 7/8 slot no matter where she's at in the lineup.

Aug 8, 2022
When she switched teams was it to the same competition level?
Yes, team is about the same level. The new org is much better. Current (and past team) play PGF/Alliance but don't get very far in brackets. Next team up in her new org is ranked in top 10 and do well against the best teams nationally.

Jun 8, 2016
How did the rest of her team do (compared to average results) in the games where she wasn’t hitting..?

Regardless I wouldn’t say anything to her unless she mentions it and in that case just tell her she is the same hitter regardless of where she hits..go up there relaxed and mash! Not sure what age it is but at 12’s and below the biggest difference I used to see is middle of the order kids would get more change ups..

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
I believe you do see better pitches to hit at the bottom of the order but it is not a drastic difference. Pitchers don't want to give a base on balls to the bottom of the order. Pitchers don't want to walk anyone generally but certainly not the bottom of the order in most instances.

I would explain to your daughter that when the coaches move her up in the order that it is not about putting more pressure on herself, it is about the coaches rewarding a good hitter. Think of batting higher in the order as a gift or opportunity, not as additional pressure. If you do talk to your daughter about batting higher in the lineup, I would leave out the part about more pressure, just simply explain it as an opportunity.

I also think that you should have the same mindset when you are batting with the game on the line or in a clutch situation. Nothing more than a opportunity.

Aug 8, 2022
How did the rest of her team do (compared to average results) in the games where she wasn’t hitting..?

Regardless I wouldn’t say anything to her unless she mentions it and in that case just tell her she is the same hitter regardless of where she hits..go up there relaxed and mash! Not sure what age it is but at 12’s and below the biggest difference I used to see is middle of the order kids would get more change ups..
Thanks, this is helpful. I think the rest of the team hit their average or maybe even a little better.

It's 16u. I know she should have this figured out by now but she unfortunately stayed on a team for too long that didn't play her. Her in game experience doesn't match her skillset so she's playing catch up with the mental game.

May 13, 2023
Yes, team is about the same level. The new org is much better. Current (and past team) play PGF/Alliance but don't get very far in brackets. Next team up in her new org is ranked in top 10 and do well against the best teams nationally.
Would you consider her an aggressive hitter who can hit pitches further out in the zone, in out up or down?. Or is she more of a selective hitter only swings at certain pitch locations?

Hbp and walks is productive in its own way.
when in 4 slot
Are you seeing more strikeouts? Or are you just seeing she's not hitting as much with the same amount of strikeouts as in 7 slot?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles