Whos the best?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2008
Say what you will about HI.com, but I can attest to his knowledge. He has helped my daughter's batting considerably. We've learned quite a bit about hitting from him and we haven't even scratched the surface yet. I'd recommend him to anybody with thick skin....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I have heard everything from A to Z about Howard.. Our friend at HI always calls Howard an idiot also... but I guess you haven't made it until Richard at HI calls you an idiot. I have heard Howard is mean to kids many many times.. But I don't see how that can possibly be true as from what I understand he does all his work for free? So I'd have to believe he just does this for free just to be mean? I highly doubt that.. But it is strange that do many have said it. Maybe parents are used to the rec ball attitude?? I will say I personally met Howard at a restraunt when I was with my daughter... She plays on a well respected select team and he was as nice as could be. I was amazed at hire much he knows and who he knew. He gave me his number... I blew it off because I had no clue who he was back then. But he was very nice and told me call him sometime. Not sure what he teaches but he is with Bustos is he not? Pretty good endorsement there. Don't know how much of what she does is from a good swing though? I hear she kills it!

Talk about comprehension issues. You are mixing up your gurus - Howard Carrier = hitting and Howard Kubota = fielding. Howard Carrier has been called many things here on DFP (and other forums), but mean is not one of them. I tried the search function, but can't find it, but I do recall reading at least one or two posts in the last few months that expressed the opinion that Kubota was too demanding or "mean" to some girls in his clinics (of course there are others here who have raved about the energy, pace, focus, and results of his clinics, so mileage does vary). And, IMO, Howard C is probably the one instructor that could transform your typical rec ball player into a successful TB hitter most quickly and in simple terms that they can can understand, remember, and carry forward (which is more than half the battle). Others have mentioned his track record with more advanced hitters. Personally, I haven't found the NECC of hitting instruction so I try to keep an open mind and see what I can learn from all.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Talk about comprehension issues. You are mixing up your gurus - Howard Carrier = hitting and Howard Kubota = fielding. Howard Carrier has been called many things here on DFP (and other forums), but mean is not one of them. I tried the search function, but can't find it, but I do recall reading at least one or two posts in the last few months that expressed the opinion that Kubota was too demanding or "mean" to some girls in his clinics (of course there are others here who have raved about the energy, pace, focus, and results of his clinics, so mileage does vary). And, IMO, Howard C is probably the one instructor that could transform your typical rec ball player into a successful TB hitter most quickly and in simple terms that they can can understand, remember, and carry forward (which is more than half the battle). Others have mentioned his track record with more advanced hitters. Personally, I haven't found the NECC of hitting instruction so I try to keep an open mind and see what I can learn from all.

Ummm I don't have anything mixed up .. and yes he had been called exact that on this very forum. Do a search if you don't believe me... The lady said she was at a clinic and he was telling at the girls and was very mean.... Don't tell me. I don't agree with it but don't trek me start I saw... More than once and yes I'm taking about Howard Carrier. But again this was not my experience at all.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Ummm I don't have anything mixed up .. and yes he had been called exact that on this very forum. Do a search if you don't believe me... The lady said she was at a clinic and he was telling at the girls and was very mean.... Don't tell me. I don't agree with it but don't trek me start I saw... More than once and yes I'm taking about Howard Carrier. But again this was not my experience at all.

Some of us believe you have it mixed up.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Say what you will about HI.com, but I can attest to his knowledge. He has helped my daughter's batting considerably. We've learned quite a bit about hitting from him and we haven't even scratched the surface yet. I'd recommend him to anybody with thick skin....

Well, that's fine, but the guy is a real rear. There is no arguing that. Just look at his "blog". What kind of person writes rants where you see "7 comments", and lo and behold every comment is by him. Always berating and insulting everyone else. There are people all over the country who could help your and other people's daughters. I wouldn't let me kid within a mile of this rear. Since FFS asked for specifics, here are some starters, gleaned at first glance. I see little info at all on this so-called "website".

Web site: the worst I've seen in years. Riddled with broken links, filler text. "google ads" repeated a zillion times. Gee, I wonder why there are no takers for advertising on this site?

"We" do this, and "we" do that. Who is this "we"? Is there really someone (other than his 2 sons maybe) who can tolerate working with this guy?

"I'm not claiming to be a hitting guru." This is a gem. Apparently he's the only one in the world who understands hitting. Which is it then?

In his rant on Derr and me he asks "how will Derr get the ball into the air consistently?". While not a huge player, and still young, Derr lead his team in RBIs with HR, triples and tons of doubles. Again, this is a kid who is going to a top 10 d1 ranked college. Laughable. Does he have a major league swing? Or course not, he's just a kid.

Elite baseball just gets the best players, anyone can do that (btw nick derr taught from age 9 by JS program). The only way you know the TRUTH is by results... um except that only applies to him, when anyone else gets results, it doesn't apply.

The abuse that is clearly on display towards pretty much everyone. And while I won't assume the accusations about his abuse of young women, let's just say if I had to bet my life on a guess I am going to bet yes he's abusive to kids as well.

These two girls, according to Richard, have the "exact same engines" - LOL

http://hittingillustrated.com/images/Brooke.gif

http://www.hittingillustrated.com/images/Kiwi110513.gif

Can't find it at the moment but there is another gem of him demoing hand movement.

Posts a picture from DFP of a young girl where someone happened to say "nice swing" and he trashes the swing and DFP for that one off comment. What a jerk.

Someone posted a picture of his kid with a horrible swing and he went nuts, pointing out it was from 06. He had his "great epiphany" in 07. His kids swing does look great now and he's probably put tons of time into learning and helping his kid and whatever. But he goes on and on about his great epiphany. Like hitting knowledge for the world started at that moment. I'll stick with the sources that I learned from, who imparted much of this knowledge more than 30 years, for me, before this guy had his world-changing "epiphany".

Finally, really, the guy is over the top and better watch his mouth. Where I come from you better be able to take a pretty good punch if you don't know when to shut your pie hole. Sooner or later he's going to rub the wrong person the wrong way.

Dec 26, 2008
Threads like this is a recipe for argument.... more negative than positive…

All the instructors mentioned (or not), have students that believe in their system and what they are trying to teach…
Some take accomplished hitters and tweak the swing to increase power SLUG% OBP% etc…Some take weak hitters and make decent strides in helping them become more advanced hitters…..

The real question would be to ask the “ladies” on who they think is the best…..you may be surprised…

Most will say when at 10 or 12 coach XYZ kept me interested in the game, helped me with math science etc….There are a lot of good coaches out there with different approaches, does not mean one is any better than the other just different..
These approaches are critiqued more by the parent than the student but; as others have stated. If the player feels good about the coach and themselves they will be much more successful….

Know where you want to go. Do not dream about it plan for it. Set goals and Make It Happen!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii